bschwein 17-Oct-13
bschwein 17-Oct-13
Yttails 17-Oct-13
Breakfast Boy 19-Oct-13
mikeweiler@work 23-Oct-13
Bou'bound 26-Oct-13
BULELK1 14-Nov-13
17-Oct-13
Returned last week from my 1st ever bowhunt in Wyoming.

I drew a good antelope tag in the SW corner of the state...and this would be the first leg of the hunt.

After fifteen years, I finally drew a Shiras bull moose tag in an area between Pinedale and Jackson Hole. I also applied for and drew a mule deer tag in that same area....just in case I stumbled on a good muley buck while moose hunting.

The following is a photo essay of the trip.

17-Oct-13

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
Left Indiana the morning of Saturday, 9/21. Made it to Laramie, Wyoming the first day and finished the drive to the southwest corner of Wyoming on Sunday morning.

17-Oct-13

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
For the next few days, I would be bowhunting antelope with a good friend from Utah, Bill Allard. Many of you probably know Bill as "BB" on Bowsite.

The first afternoon , I sat the blind with Bill, We saw a half dozen antelope on the way to the blind, but only some cool scenery after that.

17-Oct-13

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
Monday, I was to hunt alone. The day started off very slow, but turned out to be very productive.

This blind is nicknamed "Bubbles" due to the bubbling spring that creates the water source.

I sat for more than nine hours without seeing a single antelope.

17-Oct-13

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
At 2:30pm, the flood gates opened as antelope started coming in from all directions.

The first group was a dozen animals, including five bucks. I could see more bucks in the distance working their way in....but none of the bucks appeared to be better than the herd buck in front of me.

Minutes later, my antelope hunt was over.

17-Oct-13

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
Tuesday was spent taking care of antelope, relaxing and taking in some more high prairie scenery.

17-Oct-13

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
Wednesday AM, I drove north to begin the moose hunt. The remainder of this trip I would be hunting solo.

Made a quick stop in Pinedale for last minute supplies. That is when I heard reports of a strong winter storm moving in.

On the way to Bridger National Forest, the rain turned to ice and snow. After passing three trucks that had slid off the highway, I decided to retreat to Pinedale and spend the night. One night turned into two as the storm continued....but by Friday, I couldn't take it any more. Stopped by the hardware store for one last piece of equipment....a snow shovel....and again made my way north.

17-Oct-13

17-Oct-13

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
There was more than a foot of snow on the ground when I arrived. It took a couple hours to shovel out a good spot for camp, but by mid-afternoon, camp was set and the hunt was on.

This is a photo of camp early in week two after most of the original snowfall had melted off.

17-Oct-13

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
The road conditions prevented access to several of the areas I intended to hunt. So, I selected three drainages within ten miles of camp to concentrate my efforts.

The snow continued all day Saturday and into Sunday. On Sunday AM, I saw my 1st Shiras moose....a cow feeding in some willows.

17-Oct-13

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo

17-Oct-13
I have no idea where that last photo came from...or how it got on this thread? LOL!

17-Oct-13

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
Later that same morning, I encountered my 1st bull moose. This photo was taken at 35 yards.

The bull was more interested in the cow and calf he was aggravating than me. He was obviously a young bull and not what I was looking for....but he did put on quite a show.

17-Oct-13

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
The snow actually helped me find moose, but it was also a constant reminder that I was not the only predator on the mountain.

I did not actually see a grizzly the entire trip....but there was plenty of evidence of their presence.

17-Oct-13

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
This guy from Wisconsin was camped next to me....and insisted on badgering me the entire trip!

17-Oct-13

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
It rained all day Monday, melting off most of the snow. On Tuesday, I got my first look at the moose hunting country I had expected to see.

17-Oct-13

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
Had a close encounter with a good bull on Tuesday, but no opportunity for a shot.

Weatherman said another strong winter storm was on the way....and by mid-day Wednesday, the snow was coming down again.

17-Oct-13

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
Wednesday night was an adventure. Heavy snow continued to fall into Thursday AM. I had to get up every hour or so to knock snow off the tent. The storm dumped somewhere between a foot and 18 inches overnight.

17-Oct-13

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
Saw my 1st vehicle around noon on Thursday. I flagged the three hunters down to ask about road conditions.

They asked what I was hunting and then informed me of a good bull moose that had crossed the Green River about 1/2 mile south of my camp some thirty minutes earlier. I thanked them, grabbed my bow and headed south.

It didn't take long to find the fresh moose tracks in the snow. A short while later, I caught up with a bull moose and his cow. Worked my way into position for a fifteen yard shot. The bull ran about forty yards before tipping over.

It took fifteen years to draw this once in a lifetime tag......but I had my moose.

17-Oct-13

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
The same three hunters that told me about the moose came by later and helped me quarter the bull and get the meat back to camp. What a stroke of luck!

It was uncomfortable having 300+ pounds of fresh moose meat in camp given the grizzly population in the area. I spent a couple days trying to fill my final tag....for mule deer, but never saw a buck that I really wanted. Just several little guys like this one....

17-Oct-13

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
After experiencing nearly three feet of snow, high winds and temps in the single digits, the weather finally broke Sunday afternoon. I decided to pack up and head home before the next storm moved in.

Another year...and another sunset on a fantastic western bowhunting experience.

17-Oct-13

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
Some additional scenery shots taken on my way out.

17-Oct-13

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo

17-Oct-13

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo

17-Oct-13

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo

17-Oct-13
Fantastic Paul, simply fantastic. I'm right there on points for a moose tag myself.

I followed the antelope hunt but the moose adventure was pretty amazing.

When you camped, were you on national forest? Did you just camp wherever you wanted or did you have to reserve a camping sight?

How did you bring the meat home?

Looks like you are having one heck of a year. Congrats.

17-Oct-13
Hey Mike.

I camped on National Forest. Camping is allowed basically anywhere you find a spot.

There were two designated campgrounds in the immediate area, but I did not utilize those. By the time the hunt started, neither campground offered services....so there were no reservations or fees....just first come, first serve. Both campgrounds were amongst large pine trees....hanging full with snow and ice. I was not comfortable pitching a tent under those trees.

Brought the boned out meat home in two 150qt coolers. Due to the grizzlies, I could not leave the coolers open. Put the meat on dry ice and kept it locked up in the back of the truck. Ended up keeping the meat in the coolers for almost a week. I drained the blood from the bottoms daily....and everything made it home in fine shape.

Paul

17-Oct-13
Paul Congrats! What a trip well worth the wait. You need to write something up to share with the IBA.

17-Oct-13
Great hunt and trip report! Thanks for sharing.

17-Oct-13
Awesome pictures Paul. Thanks for sharing!

17-Oct-13
Awesome pictures Paul. Thanks for sharing!

17-Oct-13
Congrats Paul, DIY and solo!

19-Oct-13
What a dream trip. Congratulations again buddy!

23-Oct-13
Great Job Paul! Love the photos!

26-Oct-13
that is great and what a story on how you got the tip on where the moose was. neat deal well done

14-Nov-13
Great photo essay Paul.

I sure like your camp set-up.

Congrats on a wonderful Cowboy State hunt.

Good luck, Robb

• Sitka Gear