Contributors to this thread:
lillybear 17-Oct-13
lillybear 17-Oct-13
lillybear 17-Oct-13
rocreek 17-Oct-13
iHuntOregonDOu 12-Nov-13
OTT2 13-Nov-13
17-Oct-13
I am new two bow hunting why can't bow hunters uses b roadheads LIKE the rage it seem to me that they make a bigger cut and a faster recoveryif any one can give me any tips I would be thankful

17-Oct-13
I am new two bow hunting why can't bow hunters uses b boadheads LIKE the rage it seem to me that they make a bigger cut and a faster recoveryif any one can give me any tips I would be thankful

17-Oct-13
I am new two bow hunting why can't bow hunters uses b boadheads LIKE the rage it seem to me that they make a bigger cut and a faster recoveryif any one can give me any tips I would be thankful

17-Oct-13
I am not sure what the rage is. I'm guessing that is an expandable broad head? maybe they think if you can cut a 3 inch path you wont be as careful with your shot placement I don't know. but the fixed blade broad heads have always been good to me.

12-Nov-13
A lot of it has to do with the deer not being able to pull the arrow out with a bad shot even though with expendables any bad shot normaly puts the animal down. Maybe ODFW thinks it's cheating i don't know. , i could me wrong on that but pretty sure its part of the reason. Well that and ODFW are idiots! Also your broad head has to be at a 90 degree angle.

13-Nov-13
lillybear,

Here is some information from a 2001 ODFW report I found on their website. (search mechanical broadheads)

Mechanical Broadheads, Concerns include: o Generally reduced penetration compared to fixed blade broadheads.

o Require more power, not suited for the lower draw weight bows many hunters including some women and youth use.

o Wide variation in effectiveness; some are very good, some very poor resulting in breaking and/or poor blood trails.

o Once opened they are “barbed” so more inclined to remain in animal.

o Encourage long shots because they “shoot like a field point” which are generally more accurate than fixed blade broadheads at long range.

Because mechanical broadheads require more energy their effectiveness is reduced at longer range, where they may have an accuracy advantage.

o High quality effective fixed blade broadheads are available resulting in no strong need to allow the use of mechanical broadheads.

• Overall, the group was concerned about the poor image many people have of bowhunters this image is contributed to by animals “running around with arrows stuck in them, stories (particularly of wounding, loss) they tell in public places, and “poor taste” videos.

o The perception that hunters are shooting too far could be heightened by the use of rangefinders, mechanical broadheads and other equipment that could encourage hunters to take longer shots.

I believe these comments may have come from a Wildlife Commission meeting. ODFW does not make the law. Your legislature does.

A quote from the website, "Commissioners formulate general state programs and policies concerning management and conservation of fish and wildlife resources and establishes seasons, methods and bag limits for recreational and commercial take"

SOOO, if you don't like the law YOU can try to change it through the proper process.

iHunt - I'll bet the idiots you speak of have decent grammar, punctuation.

• Sitka Gear