DC 02-Jan-14
DC 06-Jan-14
stkshtr 07-Jan-14
DC 07-Jan-14
stkshtr 07-Jan-14
DC 11-Feb-14
stkshtr 12-Feb-14
20-Oct-13
This thread could be like a log book for everyone. Kills/Bust/Fun trips and the ones that go wrong! Thought this would be fun and maybe educational.

This year starts off with a new bow. I got me a Matthews Heli and I couldn't wait to break the ice with it. Opening day I went to a new club I joined for an afternoon hunt and I didn't see any thing. Next day same thing. Zero.

This weekend I went to Sam R Murphy to hunt with my son. He is living there now with his new bride. Anyway I never hunted here before so we scouted our way in and found a spot to sit. Got me a big doe at 18 yard. Hard quartering away and she only went 30 yards. Mission Accomplished. New bow is broke in.

Hope all have a good season.

31-Oct-13
10-21 Hunted Monday morning before work. I had a squirrel bark at me for three hours. I have never had a squirrel aggravate me that much. If I had more than four arrows left to my name I would have shot him. I need to buy more arrows and broadheads. May take the 22 just for the squirrel.

10-26 Hunted Sat. I had five does come under my tree to feed. I was hoping to see the buck making all the rubs. No dice.

10-28 Hunted Monday morning in a different spot. Saw two does going to my stand. Had to wait for them to leave so I could get to my acorn tree. No way I could have sneaked to them. Too much trash. Anyway, after they left I got in my stand and watched a young doe running around in a clear cut and later I had a spike buck pass by and bed out in the clear cut. I watched him for two hours and then left as quietly as possible to keep from spooking the spike. I had to get to work that evening.

31-Oct-13
Had 10 pt. 10 yards but too thick where he was to shoot. Hope to get my son on him this weekend. I'm going after a wide 8 pt. I saw feeding in a field.

04-Nov-13
Turns out it was a 15 pt and my son killed it Saturday. I'll post pics tomorrow.

05-Nov-13
Nothing like a plan coming together! Can't wait to see him!

05-Nov-13
11-2 Saturday. I had a doe coming to me but some club members joy riding on their ATV spooked her. Saw two Gobblers.

I can't wait to see this fifteen point / with story!

05-Nov-13

stkshtr's embedded Photo
stkshtr's embedded Photo
He had up to 6 bucks in the field at one time. He had a larger 10 pt and 8 pt in the field but they browsed to the other end. This one came out on the trail right beside the tree we climb. It was a 20 yard shot and he ran about 200 yards. It isn't the largest out there but hard to be 15 points. :)

05-Nov-13

stkshtr's embedded Photo
stkshtr's embedded Photo
Here he is holding it. He used his compound but that's fine with me.

05-Nov-13

stkshtr's Link
Shot on video of a doe

05-Nov-13

stkshtr's Link
Try again

06-Nov-13
Nice buck and great shot on the video, ya'll did good.

06-Nov-13
Very nice!

06-Nov-13
Sweet. Nice Buck!!!!!

The Go-Pro does a pretty good job.

Congrats to both.

07-Nov-13
Thanks guys. I like the go pro because I can control it with my phone and use phone as a view finder. It has a very wide field of view. My only complaint is I've had trouble finding a swivel for it to mount on with my stand. It has a function where I can hang it upside down and it still videos right side up. That keeps it out of my way in the stand.

07-Nov-13
whump sez----good going fellows . Saw your video on the doe Styk, that was nice. How about a story on the shot on the 15pt, I have had a couple go that far on Q2 and liver hits, was curious about the shot. hunt safe

08-Nov-13
It was a very slightly walking away shot. He hit through rib cage but got one lung. The arrow stayed in him so blood was iffy at times. The trail stopped where he stopped (but was standing). He then took one step and dropped a couple of drops and that's the final on the blood trail. The dog bayed him alive around 4 hours later when we could get him to our place. The deer was still standing by the creek but couldn't do anything but stand there with the dog and also with 4 of us shining flashlights walking toward him. Had to finish him off with a pistol. Must have been surviving on adrenaline. I'm guessing he ran no more than 200 yards. Amazed that after approximately 5 hours after the shot he was still standing there and only 200 yards away from original shot spot. Never saw a sign of him laying down anywhere. Ramcat did a good job. I guess the ribs kept the arrow from a complete pass-thru. It made it to the hide on the other side but didn't penetrate. After smelling the guts while cleaning I decided not to investigate exact vitals and what got hit.

20-Nov-13
Well I have been hunting off and on since my last report and I have seen deer every time I've been hunting, but the only opportunity I had to shoot, I blew it.

It was a fat doe that can in quickly and I turned on my camcorder mounted to my bow and hit the record button. As I was about to let her have it I noticed the red light was not on and I was not recording. I let down my string and hit the record button again making sure it was on this time and It started recording just in time to catch her leaving. Oh well I'm having fun.

25-Nov-13
Update. I'm still seeing at least one deer on every single trip. All small bucks or does. I watched a four point for about 30 minutes today feeding in a green field at 20 yards. Two does earlier were in the field but I had to sit on one knee until they locked up on me. Finally the does left so I could get up and stretch my legs. First time to sit on one of our fields and you would swear by looking at them that the deer are not feeding in them. Today must have been the day.

26-Nov-13
I killed big doe with my flintlock. My freezer is still pretty full, just started cooking again but have way more (vac sealed) than I can eat. One of Glenda's nephews said he needed a deer, this put me on a mission. The doe ran off the ridge to the back of a grown up field a long way from my truck, no way to drive to her. I had a wheelbarrow in the back of my truck from hauling firewood to a family picnic a couple weeks ago and gave it a try. I found wheelbarrows make mighty fine deer carts, piece of cake getting her back to the truck. I hunt deer that make their living in the corn and soybean fields around the land I hunt. These rascals are huge and rolly polly fat. The farmers killed over 90 around the borders of our land on deprivation permits this year and we still have plenty of deer.

27-Nov-13
Seeing lots of deer but haven't been in the stand much.

27-Nov-13
Eric where do these farmers need help thinning out some of the Rolly Polly's. Ha! Maybe we can help.

29-Nov-13
My son and I hunted Thanksgiving morning and he saw a couple of deer but no shot.

Today he and I hunted again. This morning he saw a doe with two button bucks and took some video of them.

This evening I had three doe come by and I missed one (Right over the back) they ran about 30 yard and stopped then after about 15 minutes came back and one walked under my stand sniffing the ground and as she walked off, I shot straight down into her dropping her in her tracks. No trailing this one. This would be #3 for the year. (Doe's that is) I can't find a buck worthy of a shot. They are staying hidden from me so far.

30-Nov-13
I just saw my first good rack for the season this morning. About 50 yard out and he walked right under the tree I was in last week. I had a spike "of course" all under my stand. I would say I'm zeroing in on this buck but I know I would just be jenxing myself.

02-Dec-13
Stay with him Don. I'm sure you'll end up showing us what he looks like sooner or later when you get him. I'm hoping to go this weekend. Didn't hunt any over Thanksgiving.

01-Jan-14
I'm still hunting, off and on.

I have passed on several small bucks in hopes of getting a shot at mister big. Speaking of which, I had him at 20 yards broadside and as I was about to send the arrow on it's way he bolted out causing me to say a dirty word.

Yesterday I was at full draw again on a huge six point around five feet from the base of my tree stand. The only problem was he was trotting after a doe and he just did not stop for a descent shot. I didn't feel comfortable making the shot so I held back. I now have footage of him the past three years and he has always been a six point even at 1 1/2. He is about 20 inch wide this year with good mass. If I get an opportunity to shoot him I will.

So how is everyone?????????????????

02-Jan-14
Haven't spent hardly any time in the woods and won't again until Jan 10th. I've kept my son on deer (he's killed 4) and I've scouted and been a lazy hunter this year.

02-Jan-14
Darrin, I remember all the scouting time and effort I put into getting my kids into a good place to hunt and taking the cheap seats so they could be a success. I wouldn't call it lazy. It's what we do for our kids. One day they will appreciate it and when they have kids of their own they will look back and think Wow! my Dad sure spent alot of time with me.

06-Jan-14
I have not been seeing deer as much lately and it seems they are going nocturnal. My son and I decided to make the move into the bed area and hopefully catch one getting up before dark. My son had a couple of doe come by and he made a good shot on one. Ten yard shot, doe ran about 60 yard. Great blood trail. He has been so busy with his new job, new wife, new house, and new life that he hasn't had much time for hunting.

07-Jan-14
What is your son doing now DC? We are getting old! Oh, and tell him congrats on the kill.

07-Jan-14
He finished his Masters Degree in Music Education and is the Band Director at Hamilton High School now. He is not too far from Sam R. Murphy WMA. Hopefully we can get in another hunt before season ends.

07-Jan-14
That's awesome to get a job like that so fast. Congrats to him and his bride. Hickorynut (on aldeer) is band director up in Ft. Payne. My wife has customers in Hamilton and goes by the guy's place that makes pottery. He makes some cool stuff.

11-Feb-14

DC's embedded Photo
DC's embedded Photo
stkshtr

Matthew gave his students something talked about. Afterwards he reminded them that even a baton can be used as a weapon. Ha!

I didn't realize being a band director could be so dangerous.

12-Feb-14
He should've done that at the beginning of hunting season so he could be off work. :) I bet that hurt.

• Sitka Gear