kscurhunter 27-Oct-13
The Kid 27-Oct-13
z hunter 27-Oct-13
writer 28-Oct-13
AuburnTiger 23-Apr-17
Matte 25-Apr-17
kscurhunter 03-May-17
24-Oct-13
Got checked into the room at st francis around 5 this evening. I cant do a live hunt i can only post when we get back to the motel. Me and my wife came out here for a diy public land mule deer hunt we both have our tags and bows with us so we will see how it goes. After checking in we went for a drive looking at the public hunting thats open around here now. We spotted several whitetails all does except one buck at last light that i couldnt tell what was for sure. We also spottted five different groups of mule deer. Two of the groups had small bucks with them one group of does. Then a really a smaller buck with a huge 5x5 with him the big deer was were we could hunt. But was bedded with no way to get at him the way the wind was. We are going back where we saw the big deer at daylight and gonna see if we can get our eyes on him in the morning. In total we saw around 30 deer driving around this evening. Here are a few pics from this evening

24-Oct-13
Got checked into the room at st francis around 5 this evening. I cant do a live hunt i can only post when we get back to the motel. Me and my wife came out here for a diy public land mule deer hunt we both have our tags and bows with us so we will see how it goes. After checking in we went for a drive looking at the public hunting thats open around here now. We spotted several whitetails all does except one buck at last light that i couldnt tell what was for sure. We also spottted five different groups of mule deer. Two of the groups had small bucks with them one group of does. Then a really a smaller buck with a huge 5x5 with him the big deer was were we could hunt. But was bedded with no way to get at him the way the wind was. We are going back where we saw the big deer at daylight and gonna see if we can get our eyes on him in the morning. In total we saw around 30 deer driving around this evening. Here are a few pics from this evening

24-Oct-13

kscurhunter's embedded Photo

24-Oct-13

24-Oct-13

24-Oct-13
Good Luck

24-Oct-13
Get r dun Cur, are you staying at The Dusty Farmer by chance?

24-Oct-13
no right down the road at the homesteader

25-Oct-13

Made a stalk on this guy this morning. Got to 56 yards then he busted us. We saw two other large groups of does and two smaller bucks

25-Oct-13

25-Oct-13

Just getting done with lunch this is were we are headed for the afternoon. More to come tonight

25-Oct-13
Had a miss comunication on who was grabbing the camera so no pics tonight. Wore allot of boot leather out today. We saw several groups of does this afternoon. Got within shooting range of three different groups just wasnt anything with horns with them. Saw a few groups while driving this evening with smaller bucks with them. The smaller bucks were doggin does pretty hard. Be back after them in the morning.

25-Oct-13
all that practice wiill pay off ..good luck!

25-Oct-13
That ol'boy is wide! Good luck tomorrow!

26-Oct-13
Wow What a day started off watching a really nice buck bed down. Drove around the section made about a mile walk in got stalked right to were he was at really good. And he was gone. We drove around allot trying to find him and never did pick him up again

26-Oct-13

While driving around we ran into this guy. I really thought they would be denned up by now

26-Oct-13

Then we did some of this

26-Oct-13
While we were in town getting lunch the local CO came over to our truck. Very polite guy even offered advice on were we should be looking for deer. Asked if we were using x guns. I am pretty sure he knows were i stand on x guns now though. He shared his dislike for the new any centerfire cartrige being allowed in our state now.

26-Oct-13

After lunch we got into some very gnarly country. My wife is scared to death of heights and we came down this. Real proud of her. We kept seeing allot of deer coming out of one canyon and jumping the fence to go out onto the flats. So we headed for that spot. Got there and had a giant comin up the canyon to us. There was one spot in the canyon were he was out of sight below. Thought he was coming right to us. He never came and never came. We were running out of light so i decided to go down after him. Got to the bottom and no deer then i saw it there was a cut that was about ten feet wide and six foot deep that went from the bottom of the canyon all the way through the top. That deer was at 40 yards from us at one time but out of sight. Guess i got taken to mule deer school tonight.

26-Oct-13

All the deer were jumping the fence in the same spot. I could see some metal right where they jumping the fence at but couldnt tell what it was. When i got there this is the metal i kept seeing. Any guesses were i will be at daylight.

26-Oct-13
The landscape picture doesnt do what that thing really was any justice at all. I bet it 150 to 200 foot in elevation change from the top to the bottom of that deal. I swear we were in the roughest real estate in kansas to day

26-Oct-13
The landscape picture doesnt do what that thing really was any justice at all. I bet it 150 to 200 foot in elevation change from the top to the bottom of that deal. I swear we were in the roughest real estate in kansas to day

26-Oct-13

26-Oct-13
Great stuff kscur!

27-Oct-13
The WildWest! Hope they follow the same route tomorrow!

27-Oct-13
I thought shooting from a vehicle is illegal? :-)

Man, you guys are having a great hunt.

27-Oct-13

27-Oct-13
Sounds like fun - cept for the snake! Pictures I take in the rockies are the same way - don't due the country justice - keep talking bout giants and you'll have company!!! Watching & waiting,,,

27-Oct-13
You'd have no fun out there, Fling....miles of great open country, few hunters, big deer, golden eagles....but not many fellow Democrats, though! :-)

It is a ton of fun.

27-Oct-13
Well got to the car this morning had 3 does come through. Then a buck that really tried me i would say he was 145 to 150 with allot of stickers. I kept second guessing myself and finally decided not to. Didnt get any pictures of him couldnt see if anything else was comin behind them and didnt want to risk spooking anything. They were the only deer that came through this morning. Looking back on it maybe i should of let an arrow go but he really wasnt what i was wanting. And thinking about the mile and a half haul out of there also played a little factor into it to :)

27-Oct-13
So that was the end of our hunt we are back home now. We had a super time. And i really have to had it to kwp and tourism. They have really hit the nail on the head with the wiha out there. Lots of ground and real quality stuff if your willing to walk a ways. We saw an average of 40 to 50 deer a day. We did have some other hunters around. One from truck from cherokee county and one from shawnee. This morning as we were leaving the truck another truck pulled up they were from saline county. We offered for them to come with us if they wanted they chose to go find another spot. We told them about a buck we had been seeing everyday but was never in a good spot for a stalk idk if they went to look for him or not.

27-Oct-13
Now i am going to go on a little rant and challenge everyone reading this post. Instead of sitting around complaining about no where to hunt, get off your couch and go do something. This was a very limited buget hunt i am sure the cheapest i could ever go on a mule deer hunt. Did we kill no but we were as close as you can get without getting it done on two different bucks that i think ANYONE would consider a trophy buck. We had several deer within bow range and saw an average of 50 a day. And we only went out there armed with our bows and a wiha map. We probly walked 8 to 10 miles a day. Did we come home with a giant deer no but if thats the only way you judge a hunt then you should stay home anyway.

27-Oct-13

That being said he is still out here somewhere. I know i will be back looking again I am starting to get a new addiction. Everyone have a great season be safe, and remember what hunting is really about. Take your wife or a kid or your best friend and go have fun

27-Oct-13
Great stuff,...and thanks for the rant. That message is often needed on here...

27-Oct-13
Thanks writer we had a great time it was a blast.

27-Oct-13
Lot's of folks haven't ever seen that Kansas, call us a "flyover state". Thanks for taking us along!

27-Oct-13
I hadnt saw that part of kansas it can be a little over whelming driving down the road lookin at it but a blast once you get out in it

27-Oct-13
Thanks Guys!!! Awesome thread!

27-Oct-13
im gonna be in your back pocket taggin along next year.....i better add 10yards to my shot distance...maybe 20...lol

28-Oct-13
cur...sent you a PM about your handle....contact me if you don't get it, please [email protected]

23-Apr-17
Knowing what you do about Cheyenne County, would you go back and hunt it again?

25-Apr-17
I hunted that region for 25 years and no now that the outfitters have moved in and leased almost all the ground up I will not be heading back. I took my son out there for youth season and what ground was left was crowded. I talked to a ranching friend of mine and he said it was more crowded than ever even with all the WIHA that was removed.

03-May-17
It was extremely crowded two years ago when I was there did not go last year do to school

• Sitka Gear