fishn861 29-Oct-13
Troutguide 30-Oct-13
fishn861 03-Nov-13
fishn861 03-Nov-13
Atschimolsin 04-Nov-13
fishn861 05-Nov-13
BFTMASTER 12-Nov-13
25-Oct-13
Anyone Huntin Hominy on the 1st? Never Hunted it have hunted Boggy a couple of times. We could take a rider in if your alone.

25-Oct-13
Please let me know how your hunt goes, we are in Hominy weekend after you are. I have heard that it is great area, we are going to hopefully hunt where my dad and uncle killed quality deer probably 25 yrs ago. Topo should not change but vegetation might.

28-Oct-13
Fish, I sent you a PM. I'm interested in being a rider or a driver. I have some good ideas of where to go.

28-Oct-13
BFTMaster, that's great that you are going to try and hunt an area that your dad hunted in the 80s. It has been my experience that once people start putting pins on the map that it is hard to get the exact spot you wanted. For example last year, I wanted to go to the SW corner of Boggy but by the time I got to the map 7 pins had been placed around where I wanted to go. I hope it goes well for you. I have about 5 spots that I'll be targeting but I'm at the mercy of where my group wants to go and were the bulk of the group places their pins. I can let you know how it goes for me in the area that I hunt. I look forward to getting to know people, making new friends and learning from the MAC experience.

28-Oct-13
If they open up the West part of bear trap also let me know. I saw a couple bruisers there in 2012.

I'd love to draw that again!

29-Oct-13
I hunted Boggy in 2011 saw a Monster 3 evenings in a row on otherside of road in Beartrap. If they opened up Beartrap I know where I would hunt.

29-Oct-13
Atschimolsin I sent you a PM

29-Oct-13
Atschimolsin I sent you a PM

30-Oct-13
Hunted Hominy last weekend. Post oaks had acorns but were not dropping yet. Some water oaks had very few acorns. Deer seemed to still be heavily using the fields. Often out in the middle of the day. If the post oaks are dropping hunt them otherwise hunt field edges with persimmons if you can find or travel corridors near these areas. Hunt close to roads!!! I hunted way back in the woods and saw two deer those close to roads saw many and killed a few. Trout

03-Nov-13
Just got back had a great time hunting with Atschimolsin, we both had shots.The guys that were seeing lots of deer were hunting the edges around the persimmons.We hunted the Acorns. I missed a doe at 10 yds Saturday she broke the arrow when she turned to run it was that close. I had a decent 8pt come in to about 35yds but never offered a shot. They were responding well to grunt calls but I broke mine didnt work when needed.There were at least 4 real nice bucks taken Im sure there were more. dont know what final count was.Hope to go back real soon.

03-Nov-13
Just got back had a great time hunting with Atschimolsin, we both had shots.The guys that were seeing lots of deer were hunting the edges around the persimmons.We hunted the Acorns. I missed a doe at 10 yds Saturday she broke the arrow when she turned to run it was that close. I had a decent 8pt come in to about 35yds but never offered a shot. They were responding well to grunt calls but I broke mine didnt work when needed.There were at least 4 real nice bucks taken Im sure there were more. dont know what final count was.Hope to go back real soon.

04-Nov-13
Thanks Fishn861. I had a great time hunting a new area and making new friends. I learned a lot on this hunt. I enjoyed meeting you and I look forward to hunting with you guys again. Also, since I'm Active Duty military, I sent the Plant Commander an email letting him know how much we appreciated the opportunity to hunt MCAAP and how well the hunt went last weekend. He replied back and said thanks for sending the note and the kind words and that he looks forward to seeing me at future hunts.

05-Nov-13
Thats grea. I am drafting a letter to him this evening. Hopefully all will be well and we will get drawn again soon. Best regards to you and your family.

12-Nov-13
Just getting caught up enough to write my report from last weekend.

At first we hunted in the area around Road 5 B. The set up day was nice and cool in the morning. During scouting we were finding little sign. Mainly tracks in the swampy areas to the west of road 5. My dad and I set up our stands in a hardwood area (2) bunkers north of B on road five. Only place we felt comfortable with the view and available shooting lanes. During putting our stands up we smelled a stinky musky scent for a few minutes before noticing a huge 130 class 8-point walking around and rubbing his head on every overhang and little tree around. He was just getting his scent on them and not showing any damage to the trees. We watched him from 30 feet without him ever caring that we were there. That night I could hardly sleep knowing that that big boy was around. Next day, nothing in the morning or evening hunt for me and my dad. Wind had pickup from the south, now the deer were never going come from the huge field just to the south of us. Only had turkeys come in on us, and they were very aware that my shape did not belong there. Four really nice Toms and for 45 minutes at least one of them had his eyes on me. One move and they would have bolted. My cousin who hunted to the west behind some bunkers near a small field had a shot at a decent 8 point and saw a huge ten point with some does. Uncle saw nothing except on the way in and out. Next, day we tried some area that the White Hats let us hunt in the far North West corner of Hominy. We went in while it was dark and got set up after light. Long food plots cut through thick cedars. We only saw does there, but there was some huge tracks in the mud. We packed it in at lunch and wanted to try something else. We probably should have just stayed and waited it out, but the wind was swirling from every direction and the deer were not moving. Next, our very kind Whitehat, moved us again to an area called the Memorial. The memorial is for 8 men who lost there lives in some kind of bomb accident back in 1944 when the Navy still controlled the base. These guys lost there lives in the effort to end World War II, and we all bowed our heads in reverence. The area there at the memorial is for one guy, which we let my dad have since of his age and how there is very little walk across a flat lawn to his tree. There is some huge oak trees that were absolutely covering the ground with acorns. A couple of large scrapes were around the memorial clearing as well. The rest of us went a little further south to the "Fire Line", a dozer fire break that goes up a good size mountain. The Whitehats said nobody really hunts there, and it was pretty wild. We saw nothing for the evening hunt. Next morning right at dawn the wind was very calm and the deer were everywhere blowing all around us. I thought that it was me since it was day three and my hunting clothes probably had some sweat, etc. but after they blew for 45 minutes or so a huge pack of coyotes called to each other to den up for the day. I saw one decent 8 point out in the firebreak but he was too far and did not care anything about a grunt call. My cousin hunted right on the break and saw 7 does. Uncle saw nothing and Dad saw nothing at the memorial. One thing to note was that Bear Trap was just to the east and every time we were at the truck we saw deer crossing the road back and forth, but if you stick one and it runs over there, he is gone forever because it is thick and restricted.

Just wanted to give my report even though the hunt was fruitless, hopefully it will give future hunters an insight to those areas. All in all,my advice would be to stay put, hunt close to roads and make friends with your convoy leaders and whitehats. Those guys know the ins and outs of the place.

• Sitka Gear