Stan NJ 06-Dec-13
Bowkill 10-Dec-13
Bill V 11-Dec-13
Bowkill 11-Dec-13
bill v 08-Jan-14
02-Nov-13
Joe posted the first buck .It,s time

04-Nov-13
It IS time...be in the woods now till Thanksgiving as much as you can.

Good Luck everyone! Lets see some bucks!

04-Nov-13

Chip T.'s MOBILE embedded Photo
Chip T.'s MOBILE embedded Photo

Had a spike 15 yards at first lite and then a big 8 or 10 at. 70 yards. Grunted and bleated and nothing. This 8 skirts my stand and when he gets. 40 yards away I give him. 2 bleats from the can and he comes right In. Grizztrick at 15 Yards does it. Runs 40 yards and drops in middle of backyard 30 yards from my car. Was a great morning.

05-Nov-13
" drops in middle of backyard 30 yards from my car". Jersey hunting at it's finest LOL Nice shooting and nice buck

05-Nov-13
Way to go Chip!! Great buck!

06-Nov-13
Awesome Chip, Congrats.

Bill V.

07-Nov-13
congrats chip. Thats a nice one. Got back in from illinois last night. Things were a little slow. Had a 130 under me on the second day and saw a mid 140's on the 4th day way too far out. The last morning we were sitting on the deck drinking coffee as it was a downpour and a good one was chasing does in the corn and then decided to rub a telephone pole on the field edge before crossing the ditch and heading back up the mountain. Ill be back out there in around 10 days it should be better.

09-Nov-13

KJC's embedded Photo
KJC's embedded Photo
Shot 11-8. I posted the story on the other thread. Here's a different picture.

09-Nov-13
Nice buck good shooting!!!

11-Nov-13
KJC congrats again on this thread! What that beast weigh? Looks like he flirting with 200lbs dressed?

11-Nov-13
First 90 mins of shooting light yesterday 11/10 (Sunday), was as lifeless as can be except for a few squirrels. I was thinking about what I was going to post about how bad this rut as been, working on my 3rd weekend in a row of marginal Saturday morning action, then dead for next 3 hunts. 7:30 am I catch movement 100 yards in front of me, a little 4pt. I decide to mess with him, grab the Knight & Hale Pack Rack, and got his attention. He again continues on his way, and commence with rattle sequence #2. No sooner did I hang the pack rack back on the hook, and I heard charging footsteps BEHIND me. I turned, saw an 8pt rack, assumed it was the borderline P&Y 8pt I was targeting that was frequenting the area, been showing on the cam, and making a rub and scrape line near my stand. I had seconds to react and decided it was time to kill, never looked at the rack again. He got 20 yards, walking head on, I drew the bow and he turned broadside 15 yards and that was all it took to let the air out of both lungs. Dropped in 40 yards. Well it wasn't the buck I was after, it's the smallest buck I shot in 11 years, but very happy it was a thrilling hunt and 155lbs dressed will return about as much meat as two does. I am definitely going backwards since shooting a nice P&Y 2011, but I don't care it's all about the hunt and this one went from zero to 60 in about 5 seconds.... Happy Hunting - Jack

11-Nov-13
Great buck KJC...congratulations!

11-Nov-13

Jack Harris's embedded Photo
where he dropped (center of pic) 40 yards from stand.

11-Nov-13

The VPA 100 grain non-vented did it's job, and I spun it, shot it, still dead on, and 60 seconds on the jewel stick and leather strop it's shaving scary sharp and ready to kill again... This buck bled a lot, probably the most on any double lung hit I've had, it's funny how nearly every shot (even double lung) yield different results.

11-Nov-13

11-Nov-13
its getting harder and harder to deal with this website anymore... It takes forever to browse and post things...

11-Nov-13

11-Nov-13
Way to go Jack...nice one!!

11-Nov-13
Good buck Jack nice shooting!

11-Nov-13
Nice Jack! What I don't get text pics anymore!?!? lol

12-Nov-13
Cool hunt Jack, Congrats!!!

Bill V.

12-Nov-13
Nice buck jack. Congrats.

12-Nov-13
Nice buck Jack, congrats.

12-Nov-13
Just now saw the pics of your buck. Congrats on getting it done. Should make for some good eating.

13-Nov-13
Nice buck Jack! JJ

13-Nov-13
Way to go. Sometimes its not the size but the circumstances that get us to the end result. Good buck. How old you think?

13-Nov-13
Most 3.5 year old bucks around me weight 155 to 175lbs dressed. He's on the low end. Most 2.5 year old bucks weigh 135 to 155lbs, he's on the high end of that.

Take your pick he's definitely one or the other - some guessed he was older I am leaning toward younger...

18-Nov-13

RLong's embedded Photo
RLong's embedded Photo
With family crying for jerky and the holiday fast approaching, the hunt gods were good to me.

A lone long-nosed doe, 15yds, both lungs and the top of the heart, 75 run and collapse. The G5 Striker did it's job.

18-Nov-13
RLONG - congrats... I thought you were shooting the NAP killzones?

18-Nov-13
I was.....Had a problem with them last season and they got canned. They will probably be my last foray into the mech world. Three-and-out.

Very happy with the Striker though. :)

18-Nov-13
Interesting - although I gave up on MBs long ago due to one specific Rage failure, I was under impression the Killzone was one of the better one's.

18-Nov-13
What I found with them, oddly enough....was poor flight/grouping. I was getting flyers on shafts that otherwise flew perfect with fixed heads. Several I could not get to spin. My buddy weighed his and found up to 15grains difference between heads after having the same issues. So, I gave up the bigger cutting diameter I was after for something that flew more consistent.

I was able to get T100's, BOSS 100 3-blades, and G5 Strikers to fly like darts. Since I've shot both the Thunderheads and Wasps for many years succesfully, I figured to give the Striker a try. I'm very pleased so far with the way they fly, and my very limited field trial. LOL

18-Nov-13
Looks like jerky to me! Good shooting, I got a buddy from Pittsburg He and his son kill elk every year with G5's he loves them.They hold up and do the job on big animals.I always swore by thunderheads.

18-Nov-13
I am visiting NJ from WI for business and arrived at newark.Driving towrd Cranbury I came across an area that had warehoses mixed in the tree. Standing in the feild right next to the road was a jumbo ten point wanting to cross He had a huge neck

19-Nov-13
Elkman52, its really hard to fault Thunderheads.....they work. I blame it on boredom. :)

Pasq....they sure show up in the oddest places, eh?

20-Nov-13
Pasquinell were you driving on rt 80 or 287??

23-Nov-13
near the brigandstraton warehouse and near assumpink zone14wma off rt130

27-Nov-13

Stan NJ's MOBILE embedded Photo

Needed some meat. Supply running low. Happy turkey day everyone!

28-Nov-13
way to go Stan! Can't see the pic but assume it's a doe...

28-Nov-13

Trying to post pic again from my iPhone. If it doesn't work...it is a nice mature doe.

30-Nov-13

Stan NJ's embedded Photo
Stan NJ's embedded Photo
Don't know why my phone is not sending pics...here she is.

30-Nov-13
I think your shot could have been a 1/8 of an inch lower!!LOL Nice shooting.

01-Dec-13
Nice shot and congrats on the addition ot the freezer! Well done!

05-Dec-13

Bill V's embedded Photo
Bill V's embedded Photo
heres a buck I took last Sat. morning. Not much of a rack but, he was 171 lbs on the scale.

05-Dec-13
Was set up in a hedgerow (thats all there is) looking to the west. My hunting partner was behind me 100 yds to the east. The deer usually come from the west and pass through the east/west hedgerow and head south in the morning. Ofcourse the focus is to the west, wouldn't know it, I just happened to take a peek to the east and this boy is standing at 70 yds looking my way. He didn't get closer than 60 yds from my partner so he had no shot. Some how I was able to get to my feet and get set up for a quick walk in and a 20 yd shot without him seeing me. Don't know why I didn't get busted, I was in a 4" dia pinoak in a small hedge row, go figure. First Jersey buck.

Bill V.

05-Dec-13
Great job Bill - congrats on a fine NJ buck. 171 sans the guts I assume? That's probably a 3.5 year old dear if so...

05-Dec-13
Nice buck by any standard. Congrats!

05-Dec-13
Thanks guys, yes Jack if I understand you, that is a field dressed weight on a scale. We don't normally weigh them anymore but this guys was heavy so I was curious. Man it was cold that morning, had the heavy camo on as you can see.

He had some kind of scalp problem, he had hair that was missing near the bases of the rack and the top of his head. I'll take a pix of the area on the scull that I just got back and I'll post it. I've shot an aweful lot of deer and don't recall ever seeing something like that before.

Bill V.

05-Dec-13
Nice buck Bill V.! Congrats!

05-Dec-13
nice buck bill at this time of year he could have already lost 10% of his wieght.good shooting

05-Dec-13
Congrats on a nice buck!

05-Dec-13
Great Job Bill!!!

06-Dec-13
Way to go Bill!!

10-Dec-13
Pretty good for a new guy to NJ. Maybe blind and needed some Rogaine. Congrats.

11-Dec-13
"Maybe blind and needed some Rogaine"

Chris, hope your talking about the deer and not talking about me, lol I seem to fit that description..

New to NJ-Yes. But have been lucky to find 2 places to hunt.

Bill V.

11-Dec-13
Excellent for you. Yeah I think a lot of us are on the same boat. As long as my body works enough to climb trees, I'm happy. Also I never put a stand in a 4" tree. How high were u? That's what I call a mighty oak.

08-Jan-14
Bowkill, think its about 17 or 18 feet. the tree splits right about the stand. in fact the tree is in the pix, the skinny little pin oak with the leaves still on it, left side of pix head high.

There really is no other tree to get in.

Bill V.

• Sitka Gear