Bowhunter0132 06-Nov-13
Shuteye 07-Nov-13
mat1739 07-Nov-13
snakeeyes 07-Nov-13
snakeeyes 07-Nov-13
WVBOWHUNTER 08-Nov-13
guidermd 29-Nov-13
06-Nov-13
White-tailed deer have evolved in the presence of these predators for millennia. Historically, whitetails were subject to predation from larger carnivores such as cougar, black bear, and red wolves. However, predator communities have been altered through changes in land use, societal pressures, and public sentiment. Conservation and wise management of cougar and black bear populations have resulted in success stories for both species. Specifically, black bear populations have been restored in some areas of the region, and continue to expand in others as restoration efforts and land use practices facilitate range expansion. The eastward movement of coyotes into the Southeast has occurred rapidly, and has changed predation pressures on whitetails and many other species. As coyotes have occupied available habitats in the Southeast, they have interacted and hybridized with other canids, owing to their reproductive potential. Coyotes inhabiting the Southeast are morphologically larger than their western counterparts, and have a dynamic social system that is poorly understood. Although considered as dietary generalists, coyotes are capable of successfully taking larger prey species, and their behavioral plasticity suggests that they are capable of exploiting the niche of competing predator species in many landscapes. Predation is a complex phenomenon, and will continue to challenge managers charged with managing landscapes for whitetails and other species. A thorough working knowledge of predator ecology and behavior is a critical first step in developing comprehensive management plans for whitetail populations in the Southeast.

During the latter half of the twentieth century, we experienced the restoration to abundance of white-tailed deer across the eastern United States, with many areas even suffering damage from overabundant deer. However, a growing body of research now indicates that the establishment and increase of coyote populations in the region have begun to affect deer populations in some areas. I will review this information, focusing first on evidence indicating declines in deer recruitment and then on evidence that predation by coyotes is the cause for declines. Recruitment at one site in South Carolina declined from near 1 fawn per doe prior to the arrival of coyotes to <0.4 fawns per doe currently. Radio-telemetry research on fawns at that site, as well as in Alabama, determined that low recruitment was attributable to exceedingly high levels of predation by coyotes on neonates. Studies in Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina all reported increased recruitment following intensive experimental coyote removals, further indicating that predation by coyotes depressed recruitment at those sites. I will discuss these and other recent data in the context of existing deer-coyote research from the historic range of the coyote. I conclude predation levels by coyotes can be very high and in some situations, particularly where doe harvest is aggressive, can have dramatic effects on southeastern deer populations. I predict that this pressure will require significant changes in how deer populations are managed in the Southeast in the future, because coyotes are here to stay.

Coyote populations have increased dramatically during the last decade in many areas of the southeastern United States. Because a growing body of evidence has indicated that coyotes are responsible for declines in recruitment in many areas, deer management prescriptions must be responsive to changing herd demographics. Although intensive coyote removal before and during fawn drop can increase fawn survival, trapping efforts likely are not a practical solution on most areas, and may not be warranted in others. Alternative strategies, such as providing abundant alternate prey, or increasing fawning cover, have been proposed to increase fawn survival, but the success of these strategies has not been demonstrated. Further, growing evidence of the behavioral plasticity of this predator, along with temporal and geographic variations in coyote density and impacts, clearly demonstrates the need for further research on coyote impacts as well as the importance of obtaining site-specific data on fawn recruitment rates. In some areas, antlerless harvest prescriptions may need to be adjusted in response to observed recruitment rates and deer management objectives. Because low recruitment rates may reduce potential population growth rates, antlerless harvest prescriptions may become more conservative to prevent overharvest. Site-specific data from camera surveys, hunter observations, and lactation rates will become increasingly important to monitor changing recruitment rates and population trends as a basis for developing sound deer management prescriptions.

06-Nov-13
I haven't seen any yet on any of my properties and the land owners haven't said they have seen any.. but if I do, you better believe I will kill on sight! They will deplete the fawns and in turn the overall deer herd. My Uncle who recently passed from MS watched a coyote take his little dog. Being he was wheelchair bound, he could do nothing to stop it. They are are vermin in my opinion.

07-Nov-13
Two times this year we have seen a coyote in my garden. I have an AR 15, loaded with varmint bullets, sitting ready.

07-Nov-13

mat1739's embedded Photo
mat1739's embedded Photo
Dan's Mountain - Allegany County

Have been seeing a "explosion" in them within the last 3 years. Seen 3 from my stand already this season.

07-Nov-13
Have seen two in the last 3 years near Boonsboro. Had a friend see one not to far from here this year.

07-Nov-13
Should also say that I hunt Jefferson Co. WVA and had one run does off on Tuesday and have had them howling at dusk this year. My buddy has seen them this year and last year over were we hunt in WVA.

08-Nov-13
Shot one 2 years ago in Jefferson co. WV in Kearneysville on a private farm I hunt and have seen more on the farm. Buddy shot one in Jefferson Co. Wv last weekend on another farm we hunt.

29-Nov-13

guidermd's embedded Photo
guidermd's embedded Photo
i have bowhunting clients shoot them regularly as this county (garrett) is full of coyotes. don't plan on seeing many, they are very secretive and even when there are alot of them, you will not "see" them. i hear the yippin and barking every single night on my leases, only to get home and hear them yippin at home too

• Sitka Gear