RDH 11-Nov-13
iHuntOregonDOu 11-Nov-13
bearsfeet 11-Nov-13
iHuntOregonDOu 12-Nov-13
OregonBowman 08-Dec-13
swede 10-Dec-13
RDH 26-Dec-13
11-Nov-13
What's the etiquette on sitting in a tree stand on public land that's not yours? If the tree stand is all set up and has been there for awhile, should i sit in It, should i not?

11-Nov-13
why don't you set up your own stand to sit in? Is it abandoned or still being used? I would not be happy to find someone sitting in my stand theirfor I wouldn't do it to someone else. My opinion is to move on but that is just me. I have no satisfaction in harvesting something off a stand I didn't pick the location of & set up.

11-Nov-13
Well what's funny about that is we were going to place a ground blind 30 yards from the location of the stand, then we noticed the stand. Not sure if it's abandon or not but all the time I've spent scouting i haven't seen anyone else. There is also another tree stand that is made of wood in the some area. Ihuntoregondou.

11-Nov-13
Spend much time walking timber in western Oregon your going to find trail cams and old wooden built tree stands. When I come across old stands I look around and if it seems to be maybe still in use I leave the area to who ever put in the effort first. I have also come across old rotted out ones that have been out of use for a long time.

I think legally you can, but as far as hunting ethics go I personally would say no. With so much public ground it doesn't take a ton of effort to find an area where someone doesn't have a stand.

12-Nov-13
I agree with you guys, it's just hard to throw a spot away that we've spent a lot of time scouting in. Ihuntoregondou.

08-Dec-13
The last couple times I went out to either check on my tree stand or took my 16 year out hunting, I have noticed that some one had used my tree stand. I went to take it down today since it is the last day to hunt and I have already gotten my deer a few weeks ago and my boys are done, I can see that some one used it again. When I see some other hunters stands or camera`s I just keep going, why do other people have to think it is ok to use or take stuff. Good thing I had it chained and paddled locked to the tree, it might have come up missing, like my sd card in my camera a few months ago.

10-Dec-13
The portable tree stands are personal property, the same as a tent in the forest. I do not get upset if I find someone in one of my stands. I hunt public land, so if they are there first, they have a right to hunt the site. All I could make an issue on is the use of the stand. I have found that people who sit in your stand don't take it with them when they go.

26-Dec-13
Ihuntoregondou - Sounds like you have spent a lot of time in there? Have you seen anyone? What is the condition of the stand? Is it wood or a bought metal one?

• Sitka Gear