Gregor 25-Jan-14
rocreek 25-Jan-14
Gregor 27-Jan-14
rocreek 27-Jan-14
bohunr 30-Mar-14
bohunr 30-Mar-14
ghost stalker 01-Apr-14
26-Nov-13
I was wondering if anybody used a doe bleat for blacktail, if you do how well does it work and how would you suggest using it? frequent calling or just every once in a while?

26-Nov-13
I use one, works great for me, Ive called a few bucks too me using it. I use the primos can, make 2-3 calls if a bucks gets a little nervous or is out of range. IhuntOregonDoU

26-Nov-13
Yes. I like using them in an area where sound travels like in a large draw.

25-Jan-14
I've had great success with them when I have been busted because of movement or sound, not wind. Then a few bleats will almost always get a verbal response. Keep the conversation going slowly. When the deer goes quiet then be on your toes and very patient, often they are working their way back to spot you again. Had a doe come in to about 10 feet this year. Works well in heavy cover, not so great in open terrain.

25-Jan-14
Gregor, what kind do you use? reed type or can? I have the reed kind and have had no luck with it, I have never heard how it is supposed to sound though. long bleats or very short.

thanks

27-Jan-14
I use a reed type. I make lots of sounds, but my basic kinds sounds like eeeaahhoooowww. Loud in the middle soft on the ends. I use my hand over the end to get the sound just right. Start with a closed hand, open it then close it again. Think of your hand like the mouth.

Also if I know it is a doe I am calling in, I hold out the middle and shake it a bit so it sounds very pleading. Since I am using I it with the goal of making them curious, I try to mix up the sounds a bit and I don't think you can really mess it up too much.

Also FYI you need to be on your toes often because I have had them run in crazy fast.

27-Jan-14
alright, I will give it a try. thanks

30-Mar-14
I have had better results using a fawn bawl.In the late season a lot of does have lost their fawns to rifle antlerless seasons,and the does maternal instincts are still quite strong.In my expierence at that time of year if you can get a doe to come in many times a buck will be right behind her.

30-Mar-14
I have had better results using a fawn bawl.In the late season a lot of does have lost their fawns to rifle antlerless seasons,and the does maternal instincts are still quite strong.In my expierence at that time of year if you can get a doe to come in many times a buck will be right behind her.

01-Apr-14
I use the grunt tube to stop the bucks if im stalking through and see one. I do use them sometimes when im doing a rattling set up.

• Sitka Gear