21ss 03-Dec-20
Quailhunter 04-Dec-20
BigOk 05-Dec-20
PushCoArcher 07-Jan-21
Quailhunter 09-Jan-21
Ok...Russ 15-Jan-21
nickphillips 10-Jun-21
29-Nov-13
I drew a Bull Elk permit at the Wichita Mountains this Dec 10-12. I have never been Elk hunting or to the Wichita Mountains. Can anyone tell me what kind of distances to expect on the shots? Or any tips from someone that has been on the Elk hunt would be appreciated. Thank You

30-Nov-13
I hunted there in 2011. I hunted in area H which was the far northwest corner of the refuge. I was told to climb to the height of the grass meadows on the hillsides if you hunt in an area with that terrain. It worked for me. My shot was 50 yards.

30-Nov-13
I drew a cow tag in 05. 25 yards. There are places that you could easily shoot 500 yards but there is no need.

01-Dec-13
I'll be there too Lonewolf. I'm more concerned about what to take to get it out. I think I need to purchase a game cart.

01-Dec-13
Are y'all taking the stick and string or rifles?

01-Dec-13
I shot a cow in there a few years back. I took a game cart and a pack frame. What I can tell you about a game cart is that it doesn't work very well. The terrain is so rocky that you'll end up having two people lift up each end of it and carry it most of the way. It's way better to put the quarters on a pack frame and carry it out. I had a big cow to carry about a 0.8 mile and it was tough.

It was around a 200 yard shot. I can PM you with where I think you should try to hunt if you get assigned to where I was. The way it works is you'll be assigned to ride in a covered vehicle with several other hunters and you'll need to select a dropoff point where they'll leave you and pick you up along their route. Your area manager will have information about where the elk move through each area.

01-Dec-13
Thanks Lightning. Everybody has a different story depending on where you shoot it. One guy I work with that has hunted there said the game cart was the only way to go. I went down there and could see where it would be almost impossible to use one in a lot of the terrain. My Dad has a friend that drew a tag and they drug his cow out whole on a fifty five gallon drum split in half and connected. You had the right plan by taking both. Appreciate the info.

01-Dec-13
ipaggie... the elk hunt through the state is gun only.

Good luck guys and remember to drop by Broken Arrow and leave me some elk steaks. :)

01-Dec-13
Man Fellas,

I can't stop thinking about this hunt. It's taken so long to get here and now the Elk Bug has bitten me for sure. I wish we knew what zones we were assigned to. Everybody I talk to about this hunt is willing to help with info but always asks what zone I'm in. As far as hauling it out I'm just taking a pack mule (that'a what he's been nicknamed at work, I call him my buddy John) and a pack frame for myself. Hoping I get lucky enough to drop a bull right on the road for easy hauling. Lol. Anyways my name is James Dearman, come find me and visit a while, maybe even an elk steak. We will have a wall tent at Doris Campground

Good luck fellas

02-Dec-13
Looks like we are going to have some good cool weather for the hunt. Good Luck to you all. Hope we all kill a monster bull. I am actually classified as Disabled, I am not in a wheelchair, but I walk with a bad limp. I had to call and request an area that isn't too severe, because I simply could not make it up a real steep slope . But they told me,No Problem. See you guys down there..Bobby

03-Dec-13
I also was drawn this year. A member of my group was drawn 2 years ago, and I figured that would be the closest I would ever see that special tag! I cant wait, but I also feel un-prepared! Does anyone know of how they divide the hunters in quadrants? any maps floating around? I figure they spread everyone out, but just wanted to see an actual aerial of the hunting areas. I drive through there all the time, but was never clear if hunt was in the refuge part where the road goes through, or across the fence on base property, or some other area where it is not public accessible? Anyone have any insight on this? thanks

11-Dec-13

markt's embedded Photo
markt's embedded Photo
Well I didn't need any info after all!!

12-Dec-13
Congrats MarkT thats a great bull!!!

12-Dec-13

Duckman's embedded Photo
Duckman's embedded Photo
My big bro took this bull this morning on this hunt

13-Dec-13
Awesome guys!

13-Dec-13

Hunter'sGrandad's embedded Photo
Hunter'sGrandad's embedded Photo
What a hunt. Congratulations to all. My cousin was also down there. He said he saw 46 bulls in one day. It would be nice if we could bring a bow.

13-Dec-13
i would love to hear the final numbers if anyone was around Thursday afternoon! I know the bull tags were being filled but the cow hunters were not having the same kind of luck.

they told us out of 48 bull tags and 40 cow tags drawn, only about 75 hunters showed up.

I know that out of 6 bull tags and 2 cow tags in area H where I was, I was the only one not to fill my bull tag within the 1st 3 hours. I was picky and enjoying myself too much to shoot so soon. I took mine at 545p that evening. They sent 4 more bull tags to unit H on day 2 and they all 4 tagged out before I could walk to my bull and retrieve it. As for the 2 cow hunters, they were still looking for cows.

I got to witness an 80 year old gentleman who had put in for the hunt since its existence I am guessing (50+ years)also tag out on day 2 in my area. Talk about a great experience for that man!

Everyone was very nice and made the hunt very enjoyable. The staff should be commended for their diligence and hard work helping us hunters make this as successful as possible!

13-Dec-13

markt's embedded Photo
markt's embedded Photo
My friend also tagged Wednesday morning!

13-Dec-13

2madjacks's embedded Photo
2madjacks's embedded Photo
Zone F for myself and I tagged at 10:30 Wednesday morning. Not quite as impressive as some but I'm still very proud. Zone H is definitely the hot spot, I was trying to get there Wednesday morning but they were already full again. One of the original zone H cow hunters Keith finally connected in zone B late Thursday, not sure about the other cow tag. I will say if you get drawn you better hit the Gym because it's a very exhausting hunt.

13-Dec-13
I started out in Zone E on Tuesday,I only saw 2 cows All day, No bulls were killed in my zone the first day, all the cow hunters tagged out. They moved me to Zone G on Wednesday morning, I killed my 5x5 about 10:30 am, saw 9 bulls and 3 cows before I shot mine.It was a Great hunt, they aged my bull at 14 years old. I have never posted a picture on here, will try to get a pic of my bull posted tom. Congrats on all the Great bulls.

14-Dec-13
43 bulls and 17 cows were harvested. Area H tagged 13 bulls 100%. They moved the 2 cow hunters from that area and they tagged too I believe. Some great bull pics above! Congrats to all!

16-Dec-13
I've been on this site for a long time now and I can't remember this many bowsiters or acquaintances of bowsiters getting drawn for this thing. Really cool! Congrats on all of the success! Maybe someday.....

Question for you elk killers...how was the pack out job? Did you take a helper? On your own? Did others help you pack out your elk? How did that go?

16-Dec-13
Yes I took a helper, and there was another guy that jumped in to help pack it out. It was not too bad, took about 3 1/2 hours to quarter and pack my bull out to the road. There were plenty of guys hanging around to help hunters pack out, if they did not have any helpers.

24-Nov-14
I know this is a year old thread, but I drew a bull tag for 2014, and looking for any tips you guys have. Sounds like quartering out an elk is pretty much how it will have to be done. I've never been to the area, only seen pictures. Planning on camping at the camp grounds in tents. What are the average shot range? Can you be picky on the bull or take the first one you see? Any tips appreciated

25-Nov-14
Chris,

I there last week on a deer hunt. Great place. We stayed in Camp Doris. Before the hunt, we rattled in a 130 inch buck within 24 yards of camp.

I hunted in area C, which is north of the camp. The first day I saw 14 cows and 7 bulls. The next day I saw more the 20 bulls. That day I rattled in a nice 6x6 bull. Several others said bulls were responding to rattling.

There was a lot of acorns on the ground down in the lower areas. The elk were down in that area, but were also up high.

The Biologist told us the elk numbers are so good that that might have more elk hunts next year.

I would be picky. Good luck!

25-Nov-14
thanks for the update Gary. Good to know they are in good numbers this year, not sure how picky I will allow myself to be but it will be fun regardless

01-Dec-14
mr_evans Ill be down there as well havent decided whether to drag the camper or just get a room I hate having to rewinterize it. If I drag the camper it is a big bullet kind of tan colored look me up if you feel up to it always nice meeting fellow bowsiters.

01-Dec-14
21ss sure will. Did you draw a bull or cow tag? I will be in a silver jeep wrangler pulling a utility trailer. We will be in a tent.

02-Dec-14
Bull tag Im ready to get there I went ahead and booked a room lastnight but I drive a 2011 white 2500 chevy x-tended cab with black homemade bumpers front and rear. If we draw same or different units maybe we can share some info to help the other out I wish i had an topo map and an outline of the units so I could start strategizing.

12-Dec-14
Did anyone have any luck down there I killed a decent 6x6 but I dont have a clue how to put a picture on here

12-Dec-14

21ss's embedded Photo
21ss's embedded Photo
Did anyone have any luck down there I killed a decent 6x6 but I dont have a clue how to put a picture on here

13-Dec-14
21ss... Congratulations! That's A nice bull!

03-Dec-15
Hey Fellow Hunters. I am asking for some help. I was fortunate to finally draw a bull elk tag in the Wichita Mountains. I hunt next week. I believe maybe in area J. I would have liked to have been in H or I, but that's not how it worked out. Can anyone give me any insight on what part of that area to hunt. I appreciate any and all feedback. I've been preparing for this hunt since I found out I had been drawn. I went to the bugling tours but we did not go through area J. So, I'm kind of lost. Thank you again for your time.

03-Dec-15
Hey Fellow Hunters. I am asking for some help. I was fortunate to finally draw a bull elk tag in the Wichita Mountains. I hunt next week. I believe maybe in area J. I would have liked to have been in H or I, but that's not how it worked out. Can anyone give me any insight on what part of that area to hunt. I appreciate any and all feedback. I've been preparing for this hunt since I found out I had been drawn. I went to the bugling tours but we did not go through area J. So, I'm kind of lost. Thank you again for your time.

04-Dec-15
Will they let you bring a bow? I have been putting in for several years and darn it I'm bringing my bow. After visiting the refuge several times just to enjoy it I think shooting those elk with a rifle would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

05-Dec-15
Cottonwood, no, they will not let you use a bow. And the zones you will hunt in aint nowhere like the roads you drive through on the refuse. This will be one of the hardest hunts you will have ever been on

05-Dec-15
Is anyone familiar with the area south and west of the headquarters? The Charon's Mountains Wilderness Area. It includes Treasure Lake, Post Oak Lake, Caddo Lake, Buffalo Gap, and the Job Corp area. Of course, I would like to harvest the next state record. I'm going to be picky and want to hold out for a mount worthy bull. Thank you for any feed back. p.s. I had to get the Browning A Bolt 7mm remington mag scoped with a Shepherd P1, out from storage! I exclusively bow hunt for the last 9 years in Oklahoma and Kansas. Would have liked to have arrowed a bull but just happy I got drawn. It took 27 or 28 years to finally draw. I feel blessed. Thanks again.

05-Dec-15
Is anyone familiar with the area south and west of the headquarters? The Charon's Mountains Wilderness Area. It includes Treasure Lake, Post Oak Lake, Caddo Lake, Buffalo Gap, and the Job Corp area. Of course, I would like to harvest the next state record. I'm going to be picky and want to hold out for a mount worthy bull. Thank you for any feed back. p.s. I had to get the Browning A Bolt 7mm remington mag scoped with a Shepherd P1, out from storage! I exclusively bow hunt for the last 9 years in Oklahoma and Kansas. Would have liked to have arrowed a bull but just happy I got drawn. It took 27 or 28 years to finally draw. I feel blessed. Thanks again.

05-Dec-15
If at all possible go for the far nw unit. Higher mountains, clearer valleys, and more bulls in that area. You never see this area from the roads. They used to mine gold in that area and the communication tower is there. Rough country but when I drew a cow tag that was my unit. Saw 25 elk first morning, all bulls but one cow that had a rocket in her butt

05-Dec-15
Thanks a lot. I know where you are talking about. I went in this fall on the bugling tour. That NW area is where I was hoping for. But...I was not assigned in unit H or I. :( I will have to make the best of it, right. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, like my daddy always said.

05-Dec-15
Thanks a lot. I know where you are talking about. I went in this fall on the bugling tour. That NW area is where I was hoping for. But...I was not assigned in unit H or I. :( I will have to make the best of it, right. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, like my daddy always said.

06-Dec-15
I drew a bull tag I still have a map from last yr I could take a picture and txt it to you my number is 918 530-2112 I was in the far nw corner and killed a decent bull first morning I can show you where that was and I also went down a day early looking around and saw a big bull down on the main road that runns through the refuge by a picnic area and there were bulls all over the road when I was headed to headquarters the first morning I had a blast Its not the same as out west but a good time and you will meet some good people. PS make sure and talk to your leader they have a tremendous knowledge of their areas and lets see a good picture

22-Dec-15
Any luck?

12-Jul-16
Just received the notice that I was drawn for the Dec 6-8 Bull hunt! I am pumped!! Over 30 years applying finally paid off. One question I have is are the individual hunt areas determined by drawing on the orientation day?

Does anyone have a map they could share of the units?

Any advice from previous hunters is appreciated.

13-Jul-16
Congrats willieb! Ive been putting in 14 years and no dice. may take me another 14 to draw. your in for an awesome hunt!

20-Sep-16
willieb they will tell you on premeeting which areas you drew. I still have my map but its in storage because im building a house but I will try to find it. Feel free to let me know when you find out your area and I will pass on any info I have I have been in there a few times with a friend once, my dad, and myself have been fortunate to draw in the past.

20-Sep-16
Willieb they will give you a map and help you out when the can. Its a great hunt.

11-Jul-18
Anyone have a copy of that map? Trying to get a game plan for each area if possible before I get the in January for my Cow hunt.

15-Jul-18
My son was lucky enough to draw a bull tag for jan.2019 on ths Wichita mountains . anyone know of or have have a map of the units or areas he will be hunting in there?

08-Jul-19
My wife drew a cow tag for Jan 2019. Any insights would be helpful.

08-Jul-19
I have been putting in for this hunt since I was 18 years old, bulls only of course, and that was 42 years ago. Can't hardy cross my fingers any more (Arthritis) but maybe someday! Haha!

08-Jul-19
22 yrs now

08-Jul-19
Honostly, the Cow tags are a lot easier to come by for someone just wanting to enjoy the outdoors, or may have access to other elk hunting opportunities. Last year, the three cow elk drawings ranged from a 1 in 8 to a 1 in 9 chance. Putting into 3 of them meant a 33% chance without preference points.

08-Jul-19
This stubborn old bird hunter is going to stick with it and draw that bull tag!

08-Jul-19
Same here. Good luck!!!

I will be spending the rest of the summer helping the kids scout for their hunts, and the fall shuffling them around.

08-Jul-19
For the last 2 years I've applied for the 1st cow hunt as my 3rd choice. Too many stories of guys waiting 20+ years with no tag I would just like to hunt elk in my home state not to worried about antlers.

08-Jul-19
If you draw either area H or I you can concentrate on the borderline between the two areas about 1/4 mile from the south end. You won’t be disappointed but you don’t have any control over which area they put you into.

09-Jul-19
I may never draw, but I can shoot a cow in Colorado. I'll just keep waiting, but will probably be 80 when I draw (with 52 years preference at that point....lol)

16-Jul-19
My dad drew his elk tag. Anyone have any advice for an older gentleman? Does anyone have a map of the zones/units? Can he expect to see any elk within a half mile or a mile? Any info would be greatly appreciated. he has dreamed of this hunt and I want him to be successful more then anything I have ever wanted.

20-Jul-19
I think he will be fine. What will happen is they assign a hunt manager to your group and they will drive the group in with everyone in the back of a covered truck. They’ll stop at good hunting places and explain the elk movement in the area and get someone to sign up for that drop off point. Next day they’ll drop you off there in the dark. Even if you know where you’re wanting to hunt there might be others already signing up for that spot. None of the areas really require any hike too far from the road. There are lots of elk and if you move very far it’s mainly to set yourself for a favorable wind so that when the elk move through you have a shot at them. If you don’t see anything all day you can be sure it’s because the elk know you’re there and don’t like it.

25-Jul-19
Just discovered this thread, there's a lot of great information here guys. I drew a bull elk hunt for this December 2019 and had a bunch of questions that aren't really addressed in the hunt packet. My hunting buddies aren't necessarily thrilled about this, but it's the second year I've put in for any of the controlled hunts. Looking forward to hearing of more experiences.

15-Aug-19
Just found this thread; have had fun reading the chatter since 2013 - some good information. I was drawn out for the December 3 cow hunt. Been applying for only 30 years. Does anyone have a map of the hunt units they would be willing to share? I'm an Oklahoma transplant to Missouri with a lifetime OK hunting License about 9 hours away so not able to drive in early to look the area over; hate to come in totally blind.

25-Aug-19
Okie from Tahlequah now living in Texas. Got the lucky draw for a bull this year after about 20 years trying. Planing on pulling a popup camper. Any idea if the Doris Campground fills up? Says no reservations on the website. Also thinking about heading up for a bugleing tour would tent camp then but have the same question if camping fills up?

25-Sep-19
Troutguide, One of the gals in the visitor center told me the Doris campground fills up that you should get there early.

28-Oct-19
I have a question for those of you that have drawn or know more than I do. Since I plan on me or my wife drawing next year, lol.I was wondering if they let you take a hunting partner with you to hunt or just to retrieve the elk?

28-Oct-19
My understanding is only on the retrieval.

29-Oct-19
Only on the retrieval.

11-Nov-20
Anyone making the trip this year. My son drew out for Dec 1-3 18 yrs old first year to send im sure that will chap a few people lol. I wish he had to wait a few yrs personally it made it to easy.

11-Nov-20
Next year. I can feel it. Good luck to your son. If he's lucky enough to draw that his first year I'd say he's guaranteed a big bull.

14-Nov-20
Good luck to your son.

03-Dec-20

21ss's embedded Photo
21ss's embedded Photo
Not the biggest in there but he had a good time and brought home some meat and a decent 4x5, passed up nicer bulls early then settled for this one

04-Dec-20
Very nice. Congrats!

05-Dec-20
Nice,congrats to your son!!!

07-Jan-21

PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
Father in law shot his cow late on the first day.

09-Jan-21
Nice! Way to go!

15-Jan-21
Push, that's a good sized hind quarter and will be great table fare!

10-Jun-21

• Sitka Gear