markt 14-Dec-13
John Ryan 16-Dec-13
markt 16-Dec-13
Cord 17-Dec-13
John Ryan 18-Dec-13
Bfulldraw 30-Dec-13
razorsharp 02-Jan-14
09-Dec-13
Saw word of this today. I didn't think we had those kind of elk numbers.

14-Dec-13
I didn't hear the report, but several have mentioned it after I got back from Wichita mountains. Someone told me there is an elk population in 33 counties. That is incredible. Almost half our state has an elk population? If this continues, all counties might have elk in 10 years or so! I like what our wildlife department is doing. Now they should move the gun season away from the rut!

16-Dec-13
Mark, not doubting you at all, but 33 counties seems like a stretch. The only herds that I know of, are the Wichita mountains of course, Pushmataha county, small herd there, and the Cookson Hills. Small herd there. I can't imagine that kind of elk numbers other than outside the Wichitas.

16-Dec-13
I agree with you. it does seem high. that could be rumor only. are there neighboring states that have a population that might be creeping over like our bears did?

Texas, Kansas, and Arkansas make up most of the boundary. Missouri, New Mexico, and Colorado have small connections with Oklahoma.

I hope they are right. I would love to have an elk herd to hunt!

17-Dec-13
33 counties have elk. Just not what I would call a population of huntable elk.

http://newsok.com/wildlife-department-proposes-statewide-elk-hunting-in-2014/article/3911984

18-Dec-13
Ok, if you count one or two here and there, I'd buy that. I read Cord's link, and I see what they are talking about. Now if you accidently come across a free ranging animal while deer hunting, you could take it legally. That makes sense. However, I'm not gonna get all geared up to hunt elk in Oklahoma, unless I drew the coveted hunt in the Wichitas! I don't see huntable numbers, but a means to control certain animals legally.

30-Dec-13
It's on the proposed changes for 2014. Section 14.800:25-7-57 of the proposed regulation changes agenda. The issue is indifferent to me. However I feel that there will be a very small number of people who will benefit from the change.

02-Jan-14
Cherokee WMA has some elk also.

• Sitka Gear