Stan NJ 12-Feb-14
NJBowman 12-Feb-14
Bill V 12-Feb-14
Monmouth533 14-Feb-14
NJBowman 15-Feb-14
Monmouth533 15-Feb-14
NJBowman 15-Feb-14
17-Dec-13
Just curious to see which of my fellow hunters are still getting after it with the bow?

With that being said...winter bow is one of my favorite times of the year....less hunters and beautiful conditions (mostly).

Leaving to hunt this afternoon in a bit.

17-Dec-13
Will be out with the MZ until I have some daytime activity at my bowsite. All the deer are coming in at nite.

17-Dec-13
I,ll get out Thurs afternoon.Had a cold and it,s been cold! going away Sun off the last week of the year and into new years.I,ll catch up then Good Luck

17-Dec-13
I'll be out sat and sun. We have down time over here in Pa. right now.

Will also set up for the Jan. season on another property, can't wait. I'm with you Stan, love the winter season.

Good Luck Guys,

Bill V.

17-Dec-13
Made it out 1 time this past sat. Ever since mid nov. It died. Don't know where they are. Maybe nocturnal. I haven't been hunting with any bait so it's much more difficult. Hopefully a few nice bucks make it thru for winter.

18-Dec-13

Stan NJ's embedded Photo
Stan NJ's embedded Photo
This guy showed up about an hour after legal shooting light a couple weeks ago...so theres still hope!

18-Dec-13
Nice hope u get him or he makes it till next fall.

19-Dec-13
I may get out - looks like warm and rain for weekend - my only chance. Wish I had a buck tag (just in case but very low expections on that), but I do have a goal to take one more mature doe to make my annual self-imposed quota of 1 buck 2 doe in the freezer. Last year I took my last doe on NY's eve - on a very fun hunt. I am not a fan of baiting - it pretty much acts as mature buck repellent (day time that is), but this time of year is when it can be effective, but the only problem with that is it can lead to more than just a few set of eyes and noses to deal with when you get them coming.... They are yarding up a bit and usually when u get one doe, you can get 7 to 15 at times, although not so much anymore zone 5 numbers just seem to be at all-time lows to me...

Good luck - Jack (and please all take the blood trail challenge and represent our state well!!!)

19-Dec-13
I will be back out through Jan. Hoping for some kind weather as well. :)

19-Dec-13
I'll get out sat morn atleast. Going to the great grasslands stand of NJ.

Seems like miles and miles of grass. Still waiting for speedgoats to come along :)

Bill V.

19-Dec-13
I sit in a treestand every chance I get. I've shot two does and a buck so far. I may shoot another deer to make jerky later on in the year.

19-Dec-13
still going ,,,, gun is still dusty

21-Dec-13
It is as if they left the state here in Zone 7. With all the snow giving up tell tale sign there are not too many tales to tell. The year has been abysmal for numbers of any kind.

22-Dec-13
42924347 I agree with you GroundBlind I too hunt Zone 7 And haven’t seen a deer in weeks Everyone one says its the moon faze They still have to eat seen dead ones on rt57

22-Dec-13
hunting a mid 130's 8 pointer in my alpine spot.......hopefully he slips up..

22-Dec-13
I will be out after Xmas until about the 10th of Jan. Goose hunting is taking priority...need to mix it up a bit.:)

31-Dec-13
Was out yesterday afternoon and i saw a groups of 9,5,2 does and a 2 yr. old 7pt bothering a single doe! 18 deer that,s more than I saw in any day in Nov. shoot straight and a safe New Year to all!

02-Jan-14
I was out on the 1st, saw a doe and 2 yearlings-- no kills.

Stayed home in the evening for that annual pork ans saurkrout dinner. Happy Newyear

Bill V.

02-Jan-14
hunted 1/1/14 morning - no deer. My area has no sign, no tracks, they are gone. It almost feels like Z5 got wiped clean.... (or someone has been so heavily baiting the same herd I'm hunting and is drawing them all away from my properties).

02-Jan-14
Got out yesterday afternoon. Had a yearling doe walk by the stand. Saw a mature doe at a distance. Watched a mink working a creek bank for a while. That was pretty cool to see.

02-Jan-14
Was out yesterday PM and had no movement at all.

03-Jan-14

Monmouth533's embedded Photo
Who's still at it? Im just getting started. Happy New Year.

Stan put an arrow through that buck he is a nice one.

04-Jan-14
Great picture Jason... Congratulations on your does...

06-Jan-14
Nice Jason!! Your daughter is a dollbaby!

How did Illinois go?

08-Jan-14
Way togo Monmouth.

Bill V.

14-Jan-14
Hunted 2 days since the new year. Found some daily sign, but no deer during daylight hours.

14-Jan-14
Took a couple hrs of Friday---saw nothing

Hunted saturday morning-- shot a doe

Hunted Sunday--- saw nothing

Kinda glad were almost done, these weekends wipe me out for monday. Have a couple good size pushes scheduled for Sat, and back to Jersey on Sunday.

Good Luck gents, coming down the homestretch!

Bill v.

16-Jan-14
I'm planning in sitting on Monday and maybe Tuesday,. Haven't baited since mid November, but I figure a bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work. Maybe Lady Luck will be on my side

17-Jan-14
I've been having a hard time getting out the door lately. There is just not enough incentive to go or is it the burn creeping in earlier and earlier as the years pass?

19-Jan-14
Been going pretty regularly...only shot opportunity this last week was on two binks. Seems like all the mature deer are very nocturnal right now.

20-Jan-14
Hunted the middle of the day (11 to 3)on Sunday. Saw 8 , Shot the only one that got too close.

We were doing pushes all day Sat. in Pa. On my last sit, I had 7 big does come right too me, The problem, They came right to me. The doezilla leader stopped at 10 yds and looked right up at me--- No shot.

No big boys seen.

Bill v.

20-Jan-14
Was out this afternoon,saw nothing a friend across the road saw a couple I bumped about 10 in the field on the way back to the truck.I figured they had to be feeding before the storm.....Just not where I was.

22-Jan-14
In the tree today with 14 degree temps and a stiff wind and after an hour and a half I was questioning my sanity and then at 4:30 he appeared. When I put my binos on him all I could say was Oh my God. Best buck I have seen in NJ in decades, a solid 130-140 8 point. Saw him at 70 yards in front of me but he would not come any closer as he kinda had a feeling things weren't right. Turned around and walked away. Needless to say I will be out tomorrow. Haven't seen a buck since early Nov. but now they are appering on my cam in bachelor groups. Three weeks left so who knows.

23-Jan-14
Chip - that would motivate me to get back at it for sure, good luck time is running out on the season and for those antlers to stay attached!

23-Jan-14
I will be out as well...good luck with him Chip.

23-Jan-14

First time I ever saw this one.

26-Jan-14
Shot one this afternoon. Getting on a roll now. Shot one yesterday in Pa too

Bill v

29-Jan-14
We are seeing better action in the afternoons and evenings then in the mornings.

Gonna try a different spot on sat. morning.

Bill V.

30-Jan-14
Great Job Bill!

01-Feb-14
Got to get out this afternoon and again tomorrow. This weather is a gift!

02-Feb-14
Saw 12 fri eve no shots. Saw 3 last night. It got dark. No shots

And just got in a tree an hour ago. No sighting yet. Will keep you posted

Bill v

05-Feb-14

Stan NJ's MOBILE embedded Photo
Stan NJ's MOBILE embedded Photo

Nice Bill...shot a nice doe last Thursday myself.

Checking to see if my phone will post a pic.

05-Feb-14
Sorry...not the greatest picture but I was in a hurry. I was back in quite a ways and needed to get to work.

BTW...first kill with the new VPA 100 gr...she only went about 60 yards. Went in near last rib and that was the exit wound.

06-Feb-14
Way to go Stan. Hey, its thick there, Is that a Barberry thicket your hunting in?

Man, that stuff is nasty, Jersey is the only place I've ever seen that stuff.

Bill V.

06-Feb-14
Barberry thicket??? Had to google that...haha. It is just some low scrub oak shoots but the spot is surrounded by heavy laurel.

06-Feb-14
Stan, just figured it was the same stuff I'm hunting in. Trust me, your lucky its not. I just figured it was all over Jersey, the thorns on that stuff are sharp, long and thin.

Now I know why I'm the only one hunting there :))))

Plenty of deer though!

Keep it up, Bill V.

10-Feb-14
Alright "I'm done" yesterday was the last hunt. Shot a doe. It was brutal out there walking with that ice on top.

Now on to the shows and banquets etc.. plus all the gear removal , and application season :)

Good luck for the last week.

Bill V.

10-Feb-14
good year for you Bill...congrats!

I am gong to brave the cold and hunt a double Tuesday...hunting with 2 other nuts in the am and then I will be out for the afternoon as well. Calling for 12 degrees at 6am but light wind...pulling out all the stops this week. I think I will be in a deep depression come Saturday night.

11-Feb-14
Thanks Stan, Good luck to you. Be safe.

Keep us posted, we're living through you now and maybe if Chip is still hunting.

Let us know what we're missing :)

Bill V.

11-Feb-14
Well...It wasn't 12 degrees....it was 7...lol. But thankfully a very light wind...about 7:45 I had 3 come in...2 big does and a bink. Waited till the 2 big ones heads were behind a tree and got ready to draw...1 propeller head saw a little movement and that was that...she split and took the other 2 with her...oh well, nothing is a gimmie during winter bow!

Going out later...will report in the am.

11-Feb-14

NJBowman's embedded Photo
Winter bow has been good this year. My daughter took a great 10 point then I took an old 8

11-Feb-14

My daughters 10 point

11-Feb-14
Congrats and especially the young lady.

I like that blood painted arrow she has in her quiver :)))

Bill V.

11-Feb-14
Very nice, John. Congrats to you both. Very impressed to see your daughter using a compound in these conditions.

11-Feb-14
Thanks she loves to bowhunt.

12-Feb-14
Nice deer...congrats to you and your daughter..very nice!

12-Feb-14
Well I decided to go back to the same stand last night. It was a good call as I was surrounded by 12 deer including 3 shed bucks. Trying to keep track of them and draw my bow with that many sets of eyes was a monumental task. After more than an hour I finally seized an opportunity and got drawn...settled in on a nice doe...text book shot...she went 40 yards, stopped for 5 seconds and then flipped over backwards.

My son is coming up from South Jersey on Saturday to finish up the season....looking forward to that since I don't get to hunt with him very often.

12-Feb-14
That's awesome. Congrats and best of luck this weekend

12-Feb-14
Way to go Stan. Congrats

Bill v

14-Feb-14
Wow congrats to you and courtney on great deer. You should be proud of her she is a nice young lady. She was on our 3d team at A&M 2 years ago and used to put the majority of the guys to shame including myself lol.

15-Feb-14
Thanks I am very proud. Are you shooting in the winter league on Mondays? We are it's a lot of fun.

15-Feb-14
No unfortunately Im not in the winter league no time right now. Ill be finishing with grad school in April so I am planning on getting in the summer league for sure.

15-Feb-14
stop in and say Hi if you get a chance or better yet come on out to the game dinner.

• Sitka Gear