Contributors to this thread:
Bowspirit 30-Dec-13
Jdawg 04-Jan-14
CurveBow 15-Jan-14
tonyotony 04-Feb-14
bow_afflicted 14-Aug-14
bow shot 17-Aug-14
30-Dec-13
Hey guys. I just got my tags for the DMFA in Ithaca. Like many, I'm sure, I am not familiar with the area and have no ties to private land. Since I missed the Cornell date, looks like my only two choices are the parks mentioned above. Due to limited funds, I'll only have one or two shots at this and would like to know which park is the better option. Honestly, with all I've heard, my chances seem slim either way. But does one spot have more to offer than the other?

Thanks for your help.

04-Jan-14
Okay, what's "DMFA"? I hike both Buttermilk Falls and Robert Treman and get off trail a bit.....might be able to offer some kind of opinion.

15-Jan-14
DMFA = Deer Management Focus Area. Its a special deer hunting season near Ithaca to reduce a deer herd. DEC has a press release:

"Special Deer Hunting Season in Central Tompkins County to Help Control Local Deer Population Deer Management Focus Area Open Until January 31, 2014". I'm sure you could google it from the DEC site.

>>>>--------->

04-Feb-14
I went, briefly, a few weeks ago with a friend. Yes, there are deer there. I saw several at both parks. However,not being from the area, the deer quickly reminded me that I had better scout the area next time, or just be happy to bump the deer around the park! Bow-only in these parks, of course.

14-Aug-14
Great subject! I'd say Robert Treman has a higher concentration of deer than Buttermilk, but both are ideal hunting. I participated in the last two extended DMFA seasons and cleaned up. I got 3 in 2014 DMFA extended and 2 in 2013 DMFA extended.

For Buttermilk, I'd recommend going up above the falls. For Treman, The south-east corner of the park where it borders agriculture / scrub-brush properties was great.

I'd usually keep these details private in fear that I would lose a great spot or two, but honestly it was a ghost town with low participation. If hunters don't get out there and get the numbers our program is going to be replaced by traps and sterilization.

The hunters I did run into and the park manager were great. I improvised this last season by using cross-country skis to travel deeper into the park.

Watch out for bucks and learn how to recognize / guesstimate gender by body and stature. Bucks had antlers in the opening week, but by week 2 they were gone.

I was down there scouting 2 weeks ago and there is a great mast crop this season!

17-Aug-14
Thanks for the intel 'afflicted. Very kind of you. I may need this….

• Sitka Gear