10orbetter 06-Jan-14
Naz MacBook 06-Jan-14
1acrewhitetails 06-Jan-14
CaptMike 06-Jan-14
RutNut 06-Jan-14
Naz MacBook 06-Jan-14
CaptMike 06-Jan-14
03-Jan-14
I have a few questions about the 2014 bow season. I don't know if it has been discussed yet or if it still needs to be finalized with the regulations. With crossbow season being seperate but running concurrently with archery, can one person buy a license for both then? Or is it one or the other? If you can buy a license both can you crossbow hunt with your bow under the lesser weapon rule? I don't want this thread to turn into a long thread on how crossbows are the end of bowhunting but would just like to know. A friend and me were discussing it at work last night and it was brought up but neither of knew the answer. I figured this would be a good source since I don't like navigating the wdnr website.

03-Jan-14
I think I remember hearing the lesser rule would not apply.

03-Jan-14
A hunter can purchase a crossbow license at full price and then purchase a archery license at a reduced price.

A hunter can purchase a archery license at full price and then purchase a crossbow license at a reduce price.

Purchasing one or both license will only allow you to harvest one buck total and the antlerless tags for that unit(if any).

Lessor weapon does not apply.

By rule, the seasons are concurrent for two years and then managed independently by the DNR which with Act 21, would take 1-2 additional years to change season dates.

03-Jan-14
From what I understand you can buy both tags but only fill your buck tag with either your crossgun or bow, not both. During gun season you then can shoot another buck with any weapon.

03-Jan-14
I don't want to hijack this thread but since Gietz answered the OP question I have a couple others.

Which license will a CB hunter have to buy if they already had a CB permit previously?

After the two years is up and if changes are made to the length of the season, will these individuals have to hunt the CB season or are they still exempt and able to hunt the normal archery season?

Thx

03-Jan-14
My opinion is once online/phone registration is instituted (2015 or '16?) we'll see an increase in "bow and crossbow" buck kills DURING the gun season. I have been against allowing bow deer hunting during the gun season for that reason all along, as it adds to the ease of the cheats who are already out there. Outside of metro units or other areas (municipalities with the new Act 71), can't see a reason to allow bow hunting during the gun season. Even the most avid Bowsiters on here rarely bow hunt during the gun season (evidenced by past "surveys" here), so why would we expect others to?

I have no problem with allowing bow/crossbow hunting during gun season under the lesser weapons rule, in which any such kills must be put on a gun tag, but even that seems foolish unless it's in an area where guns aren't allowed.

We're concerned about deer numbers and quality bucks, yet making it easier for cheats to steal.

03-Jan-14
"Which license will a CB hunter have to buy if they already had a CB permit previously?"

A hunter will no longer have to apply for a CB permit as they can purchase a crossbow license.

"After the two years is up and if changes are made to the length of the season, will these individuals have to hunt the CB season or are they still exempt and able to hunt the normal archery season?"

Crossbow supporters reasoned no longer needing a disability permit as a plus for full inclusion or a concurrent crossbow season set by statute. There were concerns from disabled hunters(as a guide for Adaptive Sportsmen, I don't like this term) and hunters over 65 that they would lose if crossbows would eventually shorten both the archery and crossbow season.

By allowing the DNR to manage the season by administrative rule, it allows for Dept to make rules to allow for disabled permits and/or over 65 to use crossbows in the archery season if needed in the future.

This fairly protects hunters with special needs and it should. Like archery hunters, they should not lose their opportunity because of crossbow inclusion.

03-Jan-14
"Like archery hunters, they should not lose their opportunity because of crossbow inclusion."

With the clean slate on here to start the new year (a breath of fresh air) hopefully we can debate this without name-calling or saying some guys aren't bow hunters, etc. We archers have been awarded additional opportunities in recent years, including not having to "give back" the four extra days of bow hunting the week prior to the gun season once the Oct. antlerless hunt was killed, allowing bow hunting during the nine-day gun hunt and new for '14, allowing bow deer hunting the day prior to the gun opener. Many gun-only hunters don't like the "week prior" part, especially, and IMO allowing bows/crossbows in the gun season will end up with more "lead-in" archery/crossbow bucks, esp. if/when we go to online/phone registration.

I'd have no problem with starting archery where it is now (or even Oct. 1; how many early season deer spoil in the warm air?) and ending it the Sunday prior to the gun season, then reopening it after the muzzleloader hunt. Only exceptions would be in non-firearm areas, where bow and crossbow use would continue to be allowed throughout. I know it's not going to happen, but we keep hearing how we're going to protect bow hunting but greed got us here (full inclusion no matter what you want to call it) and continued greed will lead to more losses in the future.

03-Jan-14
Geitz thanks for the info. Naz I agree with a lot you posted about bow/crossbow kills during gun season. A lot more cheats out there than most people realize. Its unfortunate.

03-Jan-14
"My opinion is once online/phone registration is instituted (2015 or '16?) we'll see an increase in "bow and crossbow" buck kills DURING the gun season"

Especially some of the big groups will be doing this, of course with call in registration it won't matter. There will be many "forgotten" deer.

03-Jan-14
"Especially some of the big groups will be doing this, of course with call in registration it won't matter. There will be many "forgotten" deer."

Rutnut, what currently compels hunters to register deer? I would have to think a phone call, online registration or if the dnr was smart a text message Would be much easier than getting in the car and driving to register.

03-Jan-14
Great question, so just maybe I can buy both, shoot a nice buck before the rut and then shoot a monster during the rut. Nice, more for me, myself, and I. If it turns out to be the case, hunters are opportunistic and will certainly exercise their advantage. Well thought out DNR, that's of course if it is the case!

Wait for the dissertation, it won't take long for him to log-on and explain it all to us!

03-Jan-14
Bow hunting during gun season. Isn't this so fellons who can't gun hunt help is control the deer????

03-Jan-14

Naz MacBook's Link
This is but one recent "Warden Wire" .... take a look at all the illegal activity and realize that there is only one warden for every 4,000 or so hunters! A number of these involve trophy bucks tagged by others who purchased archery licenses but did not shoot the deer.

03-Jan-14
Please keep on the topic of the OP. I'm sure it would be fine to start your own thread on how it is necessary to over regulate hunters as all hunter will violate without being over regulated.

03-Jan-14
Since when do we ever stay on topic on Bowsite? Besides, his question was answered, wasn't it? Someone else mentioned cheats, and the latest Warden Wire has enough to keep the blood boiling.

03-Jan-14
Naz MacBook said: "I have been against allowing bow deer hunting during the gun season for that reason all along, as it adds to the ease of the cheats who are already out there."

You were the "someone else mentioned cheats" and you injected off topic post to suit your agenda.

Every day I wake up able to make personal decisions on what is right and wrong. Each day laws are there to be broken, possibly for a personal gain. I choose to do what is right.

You imply that removal of speed limit signs on a highway will change human choice of what is right and wrong which will lead to all driver to speed.

Violators will violate regardless of rules and regulations set before them. You imply sportsmen will violate based on easement of regulation. You choose to over regulate a majority of sportsmen for the few violators who will do so regardless of laws and regulations. Sounds like you'd rather live in a country which distrusts it citizens and are policed by the KGB.

Any other comments or questions relating to the OP? Or is this another thread injected with personal agendas?

03-Jan-14
"Someone else mentioned cheats,"

I believe you did, several times. Trying to portray hunters as law violators/cheats is something you do a lot, which is something I expect from anti-hunters/peta, but since you are neither what is your motive?

03-Jan-14
Averagebum: " A lot more cheats out there than most people realize. Its unfortunate."

Have you guys even checked the latest Warden Wire linked above? If you had, and if you still believe after reading that there are only a "few" violators, you're both sadly mistaken. Since you mentioned speed limit signs, how many speeders get caught vs. speed? Get the picture? We already have cheats, plenty of 'em, and how many not getting caught with thousands of hunters per single warden? You want to make it easier on them by allowing bow and crossbow users to be able to simply call in deer without bringing them in? The deterrent of having someone look at your deer with in-person registration is enough to stop a lot of "lead" bow kills, in my opinion, and when it's not and they bring in their gun-shot deer anyway, or a bow-shot deer and haul a non-hunting "mate" along, a number of violators have been caught that way. Now we're even going to let bow and crossbow hunt deer during the gun seasons; I say we'll see a lot more bucks being put on bow/crossbow tags. Yes, unfortunately, there are a lot of violators among us. I am not portraying "hunters" as cheats, just the violators in our ranks. I don't believe in making it any easier for them, and I certainly don't see in-person registration as "over regulation."

04-Jan-14
"Averagebum: " A lot more cheats out there than most people realize. Its unfortunate." "

Thanks Naz but this was posted after both of your "cheat" post.

You talk about a new year and "a breath of fresh air", maybe you should be banned as it is proven your hatred of certain individuals clouds your judgement.

Remember, your readers are the majority of law abiding sportsmen/women(or at least I hope). Your attacks on sporting ethics would not sit well with me( if I was a reader of your articles).

Going off topic as this thread apparently has and after watching the Star Wars marathon....Why does Chewabacca shoot a crossbow that shoots lasers? Kind of defeats the purpose as the guns shoot lasers too. If Chewabacca had a bow, would he have to pull it back each time to shoot a laser?

Maybe Hans Solo would not have been frozen in carbonite if he had used a bow as crossbows or guns are heavy and ackward. Or maybe he realized that the time it took for him to pull back(vs lifting and shooting) would have given Darth Vader the time to give him the hand/throat squeeze from a 100 feet away.

Anyway.....any questions regarding the OP questions? Or shall we just point fingers at the "cheats"?

04-Jan-14
I AM NOT a "cheat". One of the majority, but not a cheat. I do believe in staying on topic..sorry, but had to clear this up as some apparently believe that there is a large percentage that are.

04-Jan-14
Naz said: "I know it's not going to happen, but we keep hearing how we're going to protect bow hunting but greed got us here (full inclusion no matter what you want to call it) and continued greed will lead to more losses in the future."

Naz, I am doing my best to remain civil but you of all people know that the law as it was passed is not "full inclusion." For you to continue trying to perpetrate this myth makes you no better than those who you reference with your "clean slate" and "breath of fresh air" comments.

If you want to keep promoting your agenda that is your prerogative but don't be a hypocrite and try painting them in a light any different than the one currently illuminating you.

04-Jan-14
"You want to make it easier on them by allowing bow and crossbow users to be able to simply call in deer without bringing them in?"

Naz, I've never had a deer inspected for the proper wound when at a registration station. How does it stop cheats. If a person was going to "cheat" why register at all, phone or in person?

04-Jan-14
I also believe there will be more violators with call in. That just seems obvious. The crossgun rules seem to be changing by the day. Are the rules and regulations out for 2014. Why would the crossgun license be at a lower price if purchacing both tags?

04-Jan-14
I'll go along with LC. I am not a cheat either. I do not believe in punishing the law-abiding people merely to try and make it harder on the few who choose to break the law. It is that type of thinking that is behind issues like gun registration and magazine capacity bans, weapon type bans, etc.

04-Jan-14

Naz MacBook's Link
Sorry guys, but we're talking to a very small crowd here. This is an online message board of passionate hunters where we should be able to share information we are concerned about, and discuss it openly. It's clear to many that some of the rule changes being proposed are going to make it easier for those who don't always play by the rules. If you don't think that's true, your head is buried in the sand. I'm not talking about most Bowsiters; I'm talking about the types who will occasionally take a chance at breaking the rules by sharing tags or shooting a bow deer with rifle. 1acre, you are correct, most folks don't get their deer checked that way. However, there have been several occasions in my two-county area where those types of crooks have been caught because someone saw them, was suspicious and reported it. Wardens followed up and citations were issued. I've read far more across the state in the Warden Wire.

There's no agenda. I am not a cheat either, but again, for you to act like it doesn't happen very often is ludicrous. Read the warden reports in the most recent link and see all the archery-related violations. We need to stop those types for bow hunting to continue to enjoy the 100-plus-day season.

Sorry Geitz, back on topic. Here's some info from Jan. 2 issue of the Green Bay Press-Gazette (posted Jan. 3 on wisconsinoutdoorfun.com). Page 2 has info on the separate licenses and registration and p. 3 has some info on backtags.

04-Jan-14
"I also believe there will be more violators with call in. That just seems obvious."

rjn, why would a violater bother registering a deer in person or calling it in. There's still the potential for wardens to randomly check call in registrations. In person registration is nothing more than a cultural practice related with deer hunting in wisconsin. I know that in person registration carries special memories and historical importance for a lot of hunters, but to say it reduces violators vs. call in registration just isn't fact. The people that want to break the rules will break them and the people that want to follow them will regardless of the system in place.

04-Jan-14
Personnally,I feel more does will be registered early in the archery season on a call in basis. Just call in that you shot a doe,now you have a deer registered and you shoot a buck and do not tag it. Once in the freezer who knows what it is. A violators dream. Now I would like call in for bow season as its hard for me to hook up the trailer (Buried in the snow) and haul to register it,Another thing on WDN outdoor report for Jan.2 it says its a good time to fill your turkey tag?

04-Jan-14
"Personnally,I feel more does will be registered early in the archery season on a call in basis. Just call in that you shot a doe,now you have a deer registered and you shoot a buck and do not tag it. Once in the freezer who knows what it is."

Wouldn't you still have an untagged rack laying around after butchering. Plus if you register that doe and a warden came directly to your home after calling in, like I said could easily be done on a random basis, and you have no physical evidence of the doe I think that would be an issue.

04-Jan-14
Sheesh, I have read thousands of reports over the years and by the logic of seeing where people have been tagged I should be thinking that most people are thieves and/or burglars. Doesn't always happen that way. Don't have my head in the sand nor any other place other than on my shoulders. I've NEVER had a wound checked either and most of the time the attitude at the "station" seems to be...I REALLY don't want to touch that. There may be a few that choose to be a crook but in-person registration isn't about to change the small (very small-1094 tags issued to a group of 615,000 hunters) percentage that are crooks. " In person registration is nothing more than a cultural practice related with deer hunting in wisconsin." Couldn't agree more.

04-Jan-14
Naz.....why do you care? According to your peers, we must "when in doubt, keep on shooting".

Or according to your barstool biologist Van Deelan, we still must significantly reduce deer population in order to save the trees.

What is your concern? Cheaters taking 4,000? Or 40,000? According to your resources, we should have taken at least another 100,000 deer as herd estimation was at 1.5 million according to the "scientists".

Heck, with your thread on severe winters, we should have taken probably another 200,000 deer so the "winter kill" would be less. Cheaters can have a field day and things would be finally managed to "scientists" who you believe in.

So how many of us "cheats" are out there and how many of us non "cheats" will convert to a "cheat" with loosened regs? Your readers want to know.

I understand and appreciate you having a stance/belief or opinion but you cannot stand on both sides of the fence.

04-Jan-14
"Personnally,I feel more does will be registered early in the archery season on a call in basis."

Our recommendation to the DNR was to still make in-person registration mandatory if a person wants to earn a buck.

04-Jan-14
I'm wondering which change to a procedure and/or rule would turn a guy into a crook. There must be a line in the sand that makes a guy go south if being able to register online would do it....Which one for you..I cannot think of a thing that would convert me to a violator.

04-Jan-14
"I cannot think of a thing that would convert me to a violator."

LC, you are a "cheat" by association. We are all guilty until proven innocent. It is quite apparent by the media we are.

Funny.....I hunt on ranches in WY every year. I have my tag and can purchase just about as many doe tags as I want. I cannot tell you how many times the ranchers have told me just to shoot another doe, two or three. I tell them I don't break rules/get busted. They laugh and tell me how well they know the wardens and they would take care of it.

I never took them up on the offer

04-Jan-14
Geitz, you're trying too hard ... my comments are not media reporting, they're one hunter's opinion. Stop trying to make it more than it is. Are your comments insurance agent reporting?

Never called any Bowsiters cheats, and I've never said "when in doubt keep shooting" but I do believe that anyone who has a lot of antlerless deer in their hunt area (and far fewer bucks) should not worry about killing one or more. In fact, it's called QDM.

Phone/online registration IMO makes it much easier to have someone else tag a deer. No need to bring the "fake" hunter into the registration station. That's just one example. You either get it or you don't. It is what it is.

Geitz, a million deer in Wisconsin is less than two deer per 40 acres of deer range (last I checked they considered WI to have 34K+ square miles of deer range). A whole lot easier to swallow when you think of it that way. 1.5 million deer would be less than three whitetails per 40. Sure some areas have less, but some have a heck of a lot more.

04-Jan-14
The only thing preventing a poacher from poaching is the time from not tagging, or illegally tagging the deer, and transporting it to their home or truck or the registration station. You still must affix a tag to the deer deer. So the means by which you register a deer has nothing to do with the poacher. Why anyone thinks the new method makes the poacher poach easier or make an honest man become a poacher is plain silly. I've yet to hear a valid argument that states otherwise.

Has anyone been interrogated at a registration station and been asked "did you really shoot that deer?" I've never seen it? If there is a tiny percentage of people that have been caught doing this, I would also bet the majority of times it was a tip given to the warden about the illegal act....versus the lady behind the counter noticing his nervous behavior, like a drug mule bringing dope across the border lol!

Captmike's recommendation to have an in person registration for earning a buck is logical thinking. I assume it is the only way it will be, or else I would then agree that cheating would be easier as phantom antlerless deer would be registered to get a second...third.....buck tag. I hunt in a CWD zone, and assume that in person registration will continue to remain here.

04-Jan-14
"Are your comments insurance agent reporting? "

Nope, not an insurance agent.

"you're trying too hard"

Actually, you are. I could start a thread about which flashlights are best for tracking and you inject your belief on in person registration.

As for ease of taging another person deer, how difficult is it to shoot a deer and go back to get another to help track, then have them tag it? The gal at the gas station doesn't know nor does she care.

How many states require in person registration? How many don't require registration at all? I haven't heard their sky fall nor have I heard the massive amount of fines to cheats that have been busted by wardens.

The OP had three questions: "With crossbow season being seperate but running concurrently with archery, can one person buy a license for both then? Or is it one or the other? If you can buy a license both can you crossbow hunt with your bow under the lesser weapon rule?"

Your answer: "My opinion is once online/phone registration is instituted (2015 or '16?) we'll see an increase in "bow and crossbow" buck kills DURING the gun season. I have been against allowing bow deer hunting during the gun season for that reason all along, as it adds to the ease of the cheats who are already out there"

Your post had nothing to do with this thread and you effectively hijacked it with an agenda. Do you have something to ad which answers the OP questions?

This is Bowsite which is "pro" bow hunting. Being anti bow hunting opportunity person, you probably are in a minority on here.

04-Jan-14
You retire from Allstate Jeff?

Am certainly not anti-bowhunting, but if you want to keep pretending all is perfect in the Wisconsin archery world carry on.

05-Jan-14
For God's sake Naz, you sound like a stalker. It is THAT pertinent to the rest of us who or where he works?

05-Jan-14
Seriously Mike, that's how you interpret it? It's ok for you and a handful of others to talk about the "media" (never in a good way either) and all I do is ask a guy who used to sell insurance if he's still doing it (after he stated that he's not an insurance agent) I'm a stalker? Get real.

05-Jan-14
Mike, I've never met Naz but my father's side is from Door. If you know the history of WU, you'd understand we have a lot of people in common. It's a small world. And it's not that I dislike Naz....He's just a little misguided at times;)

05-Jan-14
Naz, yes, that is seriously how I interpreted it. You made a conscious effort to try and name a place where you thought he worked. Many people do that to try and show they know something about another on the internet.

Based on what Geitz said, and if that is not the way it was meant, I am sorry I misunderstood it. Problem is, perception is reality.

06-Jan-14
He has ties to my area and I knew what he did for a living. I just asked if he retired. Pretty basic!

06-Jan-14
Where did Rancid go? he get booted?

06-Jan-14
Call in will be a joke! It is human nature to cheat.

06-Jan-14
"Call in will be a joke! It is human nature to cheat."

Joke or not, I'll be saving some time and gas money. Not sure how it will allow me to cheat, and I really have no need to considering I'll have a bonus buck tag, an archery buck tag, a gun buck tag, and an Illinois archery buck tag. Come to think of it I'll need the extra time that calling in will save me to even have a chance to harvest 4 bucks.

06-Jan-14
10, please explain (using logic please) how call in registration will make honest people more likely cheat, and cheaters cheat more?

Before you go giving me an impulsive, knee-jerk answer, please explain using logic.

Before you start, I will make this easier for you. The cheating that happens right now is done by cheaters. Correct? Honest people are honest. Those same honest people use the call in registration for turkey. Right now there is only one thing preventing anyone from cheating.....now, and in the future. It is the moment between affixing their illegal tag, no tag, or someone else's tag to the deer, dragging it to their vehicle, and either taking it home and butchering it, or taking it in and falsifying in some fashion the claim that they or someone else shot that deer. The reason they even register it in the first place is they cannot keep their mouth shut, want to be recognized for killing a deer, or want to show pictures of the kill. If they simply took home the illegally tagged deer and butchered it up, and never said a word, they currently take the exact same risk as before. Once again for the hearing impaired, the only thing stopping the act of cheating, is the risk they take in tagging. If you want to claim that honest men will cheat, then I'm certain they already were cheats.

I cannot understand why this is so difficult to swallow, and have yet to hear an argument that has and weight?

06-Jan-14
Cheaters will break the law regardless of laws or rule changes, while someone like myself or 1acre will appreciate the new registration system. Those who don't care about wildlife and are willing to break laws will do so regardless of how easy it is.

06-Jan-14
I am in favor of the call in, and on line, and if you can and want to, go to register at a registration station.

If there was some more latitude in the old way, then it would not have to change.......

Its not a problem for me now, but when you had to drive to hunt your favorite spots, it was to strigent, and here is a typical scenario.....

You shoot a deer on Sun pm, recovered after 6pm. You need to drive to Green Bay to get home. BUT you have to find a registration station. Lets use Florence Co for an example. Okay the only spot in Long Lake is closed. However, on the way home, the station in Crivitz is open. BUT, you are too far out of the DMU..... This never made any sense to me......

Yes you can drive to Florence, but its another 26 miles out of your way. You do it, because you need to, but its not convienent........

Lets explore the lack of common sense from Madison again. I will not name the buisness, but this year, this Florence CO asked to be a deer registration spot. They were denied. The reason: No station can be within 10 miles of another..... Who cares, isn't it about customer service, I guess not..... Same business was also told, that taverns from now on, can not register deer. Those that do now are grandfathered in, I find that strange........

I think that when the new system kicks in, it will be a non issue, just like the xbow.... Cheaters are always going to cheat. Most hunters do not cheat, I have more faith in my fellow hunters.......

No deer herd in the country, has more money spent on the study of that herd. than Wis does. I think the herd will be better served, in putting pressure on our representatives, to cut the woods, and manage for Fed forest better,,,,,,

06-Jan-14
You guys do realize that with call in, the DNR will lose a lot of valuable data?

06-Jan-14
I asked a DNR guy about that, and this is what he told me. The system will not go into effect till 2015. Call in or on line, you will not be registered until the information is given completely. This DNR person, who was a number cruncher for them, like the new option.......

It will be the same info you fill out now, type of deer DMU taken, type of weapon, private or public, type of conditions.......

Michigan has no problem with their data, and you do not have to go to any station to register station. Like you do not have to wear a back tag, and they have no problem with that either.......

People are afraid of change. If it does not work, they can always go back to the old way, but I think more forward thinking will prevail.....

06-Jan-14
Michael you are absolutely right, they will break the law regardless. So let's make it even easier.

I'll continue to use the registration station just because of the tradition of it. The place I go likes the business it brings, and the owner comes out to see, take pictures, and post the pictures in his store. It's nice, real people talking face to face, (communicating like humans not digital robots).

06-Jan-14
Agree with you razor on the 10-mile rule. Maybe wasn't a big deal in the days of "under-a-buck" gas. DNR should allow more stations as long as the stations are committed to quality control and good service.

"Michigan has no problem with their data, and you do not have to go to any station to register station."

I've hunted Michigan on and off (mostly on) since '88. They don't have a good handle on the deer kill and there's plenty of talk of wanton sharing of tags and unregistered deer. Michigan doesn't rank anywhere near the top in book bucks.

In Michigan you get a little "cooperator patch" if you bring your deer to a check station so DNR can age it. Few hunters do. State checks vehicles with deer on crossing the bridge from U.P. to L.P. and sends out a random mail survey (same place the "data" from their crossbow hunt comes from). That's their science, and the crying of "no deer" gets worse every year.

06-Jan-14
"It's nice, real people talking face to face, (communicating like humans not digital robots)."

That digital robots part made my day.

06-Jan-14
"You guys do realize that with call in, the DNR will lose a lot of valuable data?"

Actually, if all components of the Kroll plan are implemented, they will have more data. By setting DMU's based on county borders, DOT info on car/deer accidents, forestry management and crop damage claims will be more relevant and carry more meaning.

06-Jan-14
razorhead, ironic that a desk jockey at the DNR thinks it will be good. All of the field guys I have talked to about it, think it's a step backwards data/management wise.

06-Jan-14
DMUs should be either kept the same (long unit histories; best choice IMO) or enlarged to include similar habitat, not by county.

Some counties (Marinette, for example, and there are many others) are incredibly different north to south.

06-Jan-14
Because current DMU's do not align with county borders, there is much currently available information which is of little use to the department, as I noted above. Of course this is only one component of a multi step plan that brings management down to the county level, done by people with boots on the ground and a vested interest in their own areas.

• Sitka Gear