NYA Safe Act & ammo purchasing.
New York
Contributors to this thread:
CurveBow 14-Jan-14
jjb4900 14-Jan-14
Ace of Spades 15-Jan-14
CurveBow 15-Jan-14
14-Jan-14
I received a letter from Senator Jim Seward. He says that the safe act ammunition background check requirements have been stymied by the State Senate. The act reads that "....will go into effect on February 15, 2014 or whenever the State Police have a database system up and running to peform the required checks." Note - this is not an exact quote.

The Senate has cut the budget, effectively removing the funds Emperor Cuomo put into the budget for enactment of the ammunition background provisions.

Ammunition sellers had a date of Janaury 15, 2014 to register as sellers. From Midway USA and Cabelas, I can speak from personal experience that: 1) they don't know how to register because their system is not operating yet and 2) they will NOT ship to NYS at the present time, they won't even allow orders to be palced from NYS.

The 7 round magazine limit has been overturned by a NYS Court, the 10 round limit now takes its place per the pervious Ban. However, I think its still illegal to posess 30 round magazines and the likes, unless they have been permanently modified to hold 10 rounds now.

Hopefully, the UNsafe act gets repealed soon....

>>>>-------->

14-Jan-14
it's been illegal to own 30 round mags for quite awhile.......the new Safe Act has no impact on that law.

15-Jan-14
Previously it was illegal to purchase any newly manufactured 30rd mags but if they were manufactured prior to the Clinton AWB then they were ok to posses/purchase.

Josh

15-Jan-14
What Ace said is correct. If the magazine was manufactured prior to the 94 ban, then you could fully load it, use it, own it, sell it, trade it, etc. You just could not buy a newly manufactured magazine. It wasn't much of an issue, because "Pre Ban" magazines were easily available. The unSafe act changed all that.

>>>>-------->

• Sitka Gear