onX Maps
Bear Hunting
California
Contributors to this thread:
DL 14-Jan-14
IdyllwildArcher 14-Jan-14
DL 14-Jan-14
14-Jan-14
I had a game warden in my shop yesterday and we were talking about bear hunting. He said the next few years is going to be interesting in what develops for bear hunting. They only reached 1000. Bears harvested this year not reaching the quota of 1700. He said the state will have to do something such as being able to get a second bear tag or come up with spring bear hunts. The Tahoe basin is a mess with all the bear problems they have and it's going to get worse. It ends up as a big headache for wardens because they end up having to deal with them and keeps them from doing more important things such as dealing with poaching. He said please buy a bow tag every year. He also brought up that he was really pushing to try and get lumi nocks approved. He's a bow hunter and has talked to the director about this. He said that its about recovering an animal after its shot and no way aides in the killing of one. It's nice to see that there are wardens out there that hunt and understand hunting. Not just a LE person but one of us.

14-Jan-14
I said well before the season that they weren't going to log even close to 1700 bears.

It's only going to get worse over the next few years.

At least there should be some really good opportunity for mature bears spot and stalk or in a stand over a deer carcass (legal in CA?)

Maybe some good will come out of it. Maybe there'll be bears in metro areas to enough of an extent that the legislating of game laws will get some bad press. We can only hope...

14-Jan-14
Sure it's illegal, this is California.

• Sitka Gear