Oklahoma
Contributors to this thread:
razorsharp 16-Jan-14
Woodswise work 17-Jan-14
razorsharp 18-Jan-14
Woodswise work 20-Jan-14
OKArcher 25-Jan-14
16-Jan-14
Anyone bow hunted Pronghorn in Western Oklahoma? It is my understanding that you don't have to draw a tag if you are bow hunting?

17-Jan-14
I have the last couple of years. I will say this, it's a tough hunt. The numbers are way down. Last year there were only 16 antelope killed in archery season. I don't know how many were killed this year but I checked one in halfway through the season and it was number 3. I am sure it will end up being less than 10 for the season this year.

If you do decide to do it you'll need a tag which you can get over the counter for archery and written landowner permission if you're hunting private property. The game wardens are in full force during the season and you better have your permission slip if you're on private property. They will find you and check you.

One problem is access. There aren't that many landowners out there. It's primarily big ranches and they are typically leased. Getting one on public land is almost impossible.

Good luck if you try it out. Let us know how you do.

18-Jan-14
Wow. Sounds tough!

20-Jan-14
It's a long shot even on the best ranches. If you're serious about killing one I'd put in for Wyoming and drive up there for a few days. You can hunt them during the rut and there's plenty of them.

I hunt a 20,000 acre ranch out there in the panhandle and typically there's maybe 3 good mature bucks on the place. There's alot more does but I wouldn't consider shooting one with the numbers the way they are.

It's a very low odds hunt even for the guys lucky enough to have the best areas.

25-Jan-14
A small group of us have hunted 20K acres around Keyes over the past two seasons. It is tough as there is no cover or terrain to utilize in stalking. The archery season is post rut so decoys don't work that well either. We've never had a realistic shot opportunity. I can give you contact information if you pm me.

• Sitka Gear