Sights
New Jersey
Contributors to this thread:
H8UNH 17-Jan-14
Jack Harris 19-Jan-14
RLong 21-Jan-14
H8UNH 21-Jan-14
17-Jan-14
So this was the first year I really put any effort into bow hunting, and had a blast. Because of work and little ones I only made it out for 6 days, but I shot one deer and always saw some. I'm hooked. I am using a hoyt charger I bought used (it was a month old) because I didn't want to get balls deep not knowing if I'd like it. I've upgraded everything on the bow except the fuse three pin sight that came on it. It works, I've g great groupings out to 35 yards, and I don't plan, nor have I been in a stand where I could shoot further than that. I think I'd like to get a "better" sight but I wonder if it's worth it/necessary? What's everyone else using, how many pins? Pros and cons? My thought process is this, I can always put the better accessories on another bow later.

19-Jan-14
3 pins are plenty for NJ hunting, and 99% of your shots will probably be with the top pin (5 to 20 yards) anyway. As long as the sight is durable and fairly easy to adjust and stays tight, and you have enough fiber optic coils in there to aid in low light conditions, I don't think it's worth "upgrading". All you need the sight to do is glow enough to see it, and stay put. If you were going to spend $$$ on accessories I would make sure you have decent arrows, broadheads, a good quality bow string (very important - most bows come with garbage strings, you put a winners choice on there and your bow will hold tune much much longer). I would also consider an upgrade to the rest like a QAD drop-away, etc - before I spent more money on a sight. Another nice accessory to upgrade would be a quality mechanical release.

21-Jan-14
...."My thought process is this, I can always put the better accessories on another bow later."....

That last statement is spot on. Regardless of the bow, your accessories will transfer. Get the best sight/release/rest/stabilizer you can afford. More important than the bow really. As long as the bow fits you properly to begin with.

21-Jan-14
Thanks guys.! I actually shot today at shooters and groupings were tight. I appreciate the input. I have replaced the whisker biscuit with a fall away and I bought a hoyt aftermarket stabalizer. I use beaman noble hunter arrows and I also use swhacker and rage, mechanical broad heads. The deer I shot went 10 maybe 15 yards before he dropped. The exit wound was huge. I've seen a few get hit with fixed blade and not die/ we're never found. I like the larger cut myself.. The bow came with everything including a tru fire mechanical folding release. I think they're pretty good. It's been a blast. I'm sold on the sport. I'm sure I'll bring out the. 30-06 again when I'm back in Maine but for now this is my new addition. Thanks for the advice

• Sitka Gear