JayG@work 09-Apr-14
JayG@work 10-Apr-14
sweet old bill 16-Apr-14
JayG@work 16-Apr-14
JayG@work 17-Apr-14
Jax 1 06-May-14
JayG@work 12-May-14
22-Jan-14
I can not think of another year were we seem to be in this trend of snow and cold. This morning in Oneonta it is -9 degrees and snow showers. I do no think the deer herd will do well with this type of a winter. How much snow did you get and what your tempture this day...

I am down south in Myrtle beach SC and it is a warm 22 degrees with it going to break 40 degrees today. I have a two day archery shooting this weekend, but may have to cancel shooting. with my copd does not allow me outside anymore in the cold.

best to all Bill

22-Jan-14
Here in Rockland COunty we got supposedly 12" of snow; but I say its 5-7 max. It was 7 here this AM, back home in Herkimer County it was -14! Herkimer County got no snow from this storm, but I snowblowed twice on Sunday with 6" in the early morning, then 3" later in the day.

This winter is going to be a deer killer in the Adirondacks for sure.

>>>>-------->

22-Jan-14
A foot in Nassau County, single digit temps last night, wind chill below zero...Tom

23-Jan-14
It was 10 below in Colchester yesterday but it was warmer today only 5 below we only got 2 in. of snow up here in Downsville.

23-Jan-14
Hill towns Albany co. no real snow on the ground, the last storm was just east of us. Colder enough, we'll be below zero tonight. They are still digging up acorns through the leaves and little snow. Did not head off the hill this year it appears. Unless things take a turn for the worse they should be okay.

23-Jan-14
12 below, 10 below, 5 below,highest it got up to was 10 above,going to be like this for another week.But the snow missed us and stayed along the coast. Hey Bill did you take any Ice fishing gear down there?.

24-Jan-14
no ice fishing gear, just two compound bows, two release , 21/2 doz arrows, 1 extra sight, small tool box with all kinds of xtra bow stuff. So far have not lost a arrow. This morning it is 30 degrees and with wind chill 24 degree. They say for the weekend it will back to the 50's and sunny. They have two type of shoots going on at the same time, one is a 1/2 of a 900 round and the other is 30 3D targets.

24-Jan-14
Wow it went up to 10 degrees today,might go down to 5 tonight and we might get 4" of snow tomorrow. 30 3D targets that will keep you well tuned for October.

05-Feb-14
another big storm hitting near Oneonta NY with 8 to 12 inches on the ground come mid day. Seems this could be a killer storm for the deer herd in the Catskill mountains, as they also are calling for freezing rain in some areas.

09-Feb-14
Still have about a foot on the ground as of yesterday here in Deposit. Thermometer says 1 degree right now. Saw many groups of 6+ deer yesterday afternoon out feeding along with turkeys in my standing corn.

09-Feb-14
10" of hard crusty snow here on Long Island. Deer seem to have vanished...was out with the snow shoes all weekend.. Didn't see a deer..I'm sure they heard me crunching through the snow from a mile away. Found one shed though. I hope this storm on Thursday turns out to be rain...

13-Feb-14
another 6 to 10 inches for the catskill mountains area. Sure will make a period to use snow shoes if you want to hunt rabbits...We just had ice down south in MB SC. today will be 56 degrees.

13-Feb-14
It's about 2 oclock in the afternoon here in Del. Co. and I would say we have about 6 inches so far and still coming down, Luckily I got my wife home from the hospital in Cooperstown yesterday, that was a close one!

13-Feb-14
It's about 2 oclock in the afternoon here in Del. Co. and I would say we have about 6 inches so far and still coming down, Luckily I got my wife home from the hospital in Cooperstown yesterday, that was a close one!

13-Feb-14
Right now I'm trying to prune one apple tree a night after work. By morning all the high browse that I've cut down seems to be gone. Getting my exercise and hopefully helping out the deer herd. But man this snow seems like it's waist deep in spots and exhausting to trudge through. One day closer to spring Arrkner

13-Feb-14
looks like my hunting spot will get 15 to 20 inches on top of the 20 on ground. Hoping for warm weather after this storm. Tough on the deer for sure. Not like some of the lake effect areas but more than I like.

17-Feb-14
Still have alot of snow here and apple trees are being browsed as well. Had deer in my back yard yesterday looking for food. Hope the snow drops soon. Looks like another 5 acres of standing corn this year

26-Feb-14
It was about -5 at my house this morning. Yesterday I had a deer in my yard eating my cedar trees near my chicken coop. When we had that warm up, I went out and pruned the apple trees on the side of my house, the next morning a deer was in my back yard eating my cedars, I went out there and saw that it had started on my apples. It creamed them. Time to get a paintball gun. LOL The weather is supposed to be clear and cold for the next couple of days.... This is the same weather that was here in the 80s, when my unit used to come up here for cold weather training. It MAY warm up eventually. LOL Peace, Jay

26-Feb-14
I fear that when we go up to open our farm in April we will find more bones than sheds, next month is crucial,they need a break...Tom

27-Feb-14
I have about 7 deer that are yarded on my property. I used to have 20- 25 every year. It's sad to see what the looser DMPs and nuisance permits have done in 6C. I am seriously thinking about dumping my land. It's just not worth it. Everybody shoots everything and the der get hammeed.... Then you hear these rubes say, "I haven't seen a big buck in years". And you ask them what they got this year and they say, "a spike and a forky". It makes you want to slap them.

Om another note, I have a young doe that is coming in to my yard and eating my cedar trees,, and hammered my apple trees,, right after I prumed them.. I need to get my paintball gun set up so I can "deter" her. LOL

Peace, Jay

28-Feb-14
Another 8 inches of lake effect yesterday, today dawned sunny, and -9... Global warming my ass. Jay

28-Feb-14
get ready Jay looks like we're in for another storm this weekend...I can't imagine our wildlife is not suffering...Tom

01-Mar-14
Back from the sunny south, zero degree at noon in central NY....

02-Mar-14
Back to reality Bill,lol...Tom

04-Mar-14
deer may be doing well but it seems the overall condition of the people seem to be failing as we for the most part are sick of this cold long winter.

I am looking for brown ground, so I can check my 3D's targets and play with a new bow I have.

04-Mar-14
According to the OFA it does not look like it is going to warm up till May.

04-Mar-14
May warm up sounds about right. Today was a balmy -7 on my way in to work. It's funny, this Winter has been really hard, and long, but the deer do seem to look pretty healthy. I have one that keeps coming in to my yard and eating my cedar trees. As long as the deer and rabbit repellant stays strong, that is okay, but as soon as it turns its attention to my fruit trees, I'm gonna have an issue with it. LOL Stay warm and safe you guys. Peace, Jay

04-Mar-14
Man that is cold Jay ! Its amazing to me that they can survive that kind of cold for this long. Any deer that does is one tough hombre...Tom

05-Mar-14
True Pat, I meant that this sustained cold does not allow any melt off hence deep snow...Tom

06-Mar-14
In central NY on the side hills that face south there is zero brown ground as yet. On the ground there is about 20 inches of ice and snow. I did see one of the fawns from last year, eating apple branches next to the house.

13-Mar-14
I've got about 25 apple trees that I take very good care of since I planted them about 22 yrs ago and the deer are really pruning them this year! (Del. Co )

14-Mar-14
Seems like New York state differs as much in weather as it does in political and cultural values! Here in southern Allegany County we got about 6 inches with the last storm on top of about 3 inches on the south side of the hills and maybe a foot on the northern slopes. It is supposed to get to 50 F. here today so we will lose most of it. I still have some trail cams out and the deer appear more stressed than in many years. New York state should allow us to feed them, especially in these critical times. According to researchers, overly stressed does will lose one or both of their fawns, either by reabsorbing them or the fawns are too weak at birth.

14-Mar-14
It is becoming more apparent, as this winter drags on that an above average winter kill seems likely. Last October while field dressing my buck I noticed more fat on him than usual. I jokingly remarked that "I guess its going to be a tough winter" (referring to that old adage.)..might be something to it after all lol...Tom

16-Mar-14
I was out pulling my cameras a few days ago just before the 13" we got last Wednesday and Thursday. It was deep,and crusted but I broke through every other step. Terrible conditions really. From the sign, it appears the coyotes are running on top (probably raising hell with any weakened deer).

Saw two big gobblers cross the road in front of me and tried to walk up an embankment which was in full sun so the snow was rotted and soft. One of the gobblers broke through and was literally stuck....if I had been quicker I could have jumped out and grabbed him.

24-Mar-14
Pat, get in there and find some sheds.

31-Mar-14
I still have 2 feet of snow pack on my property. I went to walk out there to check out some cameras I left in the way back. I didn't have my snowshoes, and really needed them. I made it halfway out and then said the heck with it. They can wait for another couple weeks. LOL Jay

09-Apr-14
Hey Pat, there is still at least a foot of snow in the woods. The der on my property are starting to look sorta rough. I have a gasline runs through my property so it is thawed and some browse is starting to green up, but for the most part, the woods are still covered. It is supposed to be 60 tomorrow, so that should put a dent in the snow depth. The big problem is that all the run off is causeing a lot of flooding, especially in the Moose and Black river Valley, so most of my turkey hunting areas are under water now.... Usually the waters are receding by now, they are just getting high and getting higher daily. The Salmon River as well as Sandy Creek are filling up and the Steelhead are starting to move. Things as far as they are concerned are starting to pop. It is a good time to be alive. Take care, Jay

10-Apr-14
I went out to my property yesterday afternoon. The ground is visible in some spots, mostly under the cedars, but it is really wet. Tody is supposed to be in the mid 60s so I'm thinking a lot of the snow will be gone after this weekend. The Tug Hill area is melting pretty quickly, so the rivers are WAY up. Maybe they will recede by 1 May. I saw 7 Toms in one of the fields that I can hunt in, moving a bunch of hens. I think the high water is keeping them concentrated. If you want to hunt some, you are welcome. Peace, Jay

16-Apr-14
got 3 inches overnight on the grass areas and woods. The road is just a dusting of snow on it....

16-Apr-14
15 degrees, about 1" of snow on the ground.. A bunch of roads are closed due to flooding. Most of my turkey hunting areas are underwater,, great!! I do wish this winter would end... Where the F is this global warming?

17-Apr-14
Well Pat, the Moose and the Black River are supposed to crest tonight at record levels. Higher than at any time in history. The snowmelt off the Tug Hill Plateau is crazy this year.

06-May-14
This must be the longest winter in the last 55yrs....

12-May-14
Global Warming,, I mean cooling, I mean Manmade climate change,, umm, disruption,, or something like that. LOL

• Sitka Gear