Right to Hunt
Indiana
Contributors to this thread:
Dude 24-Jan-14
Owl Holler 24-Jan-14
Russ Koon 25-Jan-14
INbowdude 04-Feb-14
24-Jan-14
Constitutional Right to Hunt and Fish Scheduled for Monday Committee Hearing Sponsored by state Senator Brent Steele (R-44), SJR 9 would guarantee Hoosiers the right to hunt, fish and harvest wildlife. This legislation would ensure the preservation of Indiana's rich hunting heritage.

By declaring this right, Indiana would keep the existing fishing and hunting structure in place while protecting future generations of sportsmen from attacks initiated by well-funded anti-hunting extremists. Specifically, SJR 9 would promote wildlife conservation and management. In addition, it specifies that hunting, fishing and harvesting of wildlife shall be used as a preferred means of managing and controlling wildlife.

This proposed constitutional amendment would ensure that sportsmen will continue to be used as Indiana’s responsible game managers instead of the taxpayer-funded sharpshooters and unproven, expensive wildlife contraception schemes employed in other jurisdictions.

Please contact members of the Senate Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee TODAY and respectfully urge them to SUPPORT your right to hunt and fish by voting “YES” on SJR 9.

Contact information for committee members is provided below.

Senate Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee:

Senator Carlin Yoder (R-12), Chairman [email protected]

Senator John Waterman (R-39) [email protected]

Senator Michael Crider (R-28) [email protected]

Senator Dennis Kruse (R-14) [email protected]

Senator Ryan Mishler (R-9) [email protected]

Senator Brent Steele (R-44) [email protected]

Senator James Tomes (R-49) [email protected]

Senator Richard Young (D-47) [email protected]

Senator Lindel Hume (D-48) [email protected]

Senator Timothy Skinner (D-38) [email protected]

24-Jan-14
Watch for a Bill coming (I hope) on changing hunting (and fishing?) license fees for Seniors--down to same as youth license.

25-Jan-14
Lynn, the senior lifetime fishing is already cheaper than dirt. The dirt might be easier to actually use as a license, though. It could get thoroughly soaked and it would still be dirt when it dried out....not sure what you'd call the soaked and dried version of the computer paper, but I doubt that a CO would accept it as being a license. 8^)

The one printed on plain computer paper at the point of sale is supposed to be with us at all times when fishing, but it takes up most of the 8 1/2" x 11 sheet by the time all the "important" info is included, such as the names of the governor and the DNR chief at the time it was issued, etc. It can be folded into a small enough square to be contained in a small plastic bag and carried in a pocket, for those who actually try to comply and keep it with them while doing an activity that sometimes results in getting pretty wet.

Guess the DNR folks were thinking about indoor fishing when they came up with the idea.

Pity they didn't ask me first, I would have suggested that they reduce it to an actually handy size like the Lifetime Hunting License that can be carried in the card section and is impervious to moisture, just in case the fisherman falls out of the boat or slides off the bank, or goes out during the spring when rain is likely, or sits too long on a damp riverbank, sometime during his remaining years.

I experimented with some cutting and pasting and found that all the actually pertinent info could have been placed on one side of the laminated card, leaving the obverse space to be sold for advertising space. Might have recovered some of their "lost revenue" that way. I'd have paid another dollar for such a license, just to save the trouble of printing the duplicates.

I would suggest if the state does indeed provide the low-cost licenses you describe, and they end up being available only printed on plain computer paper at the point of purchase, that you make several copies right away before taking the original outdoor fishing, where it will likely come back an illegible mess.

I have copies in plastic bags in my tackle box, the console of the Jeep, and a couple spares in a desk drawer at home, just in case, like I did with the lifetime carry permit that was also issued on tissue paper and was expected to last the rest of my life.

When I got that permit it was mid-summer, and fortunately I happened to take it out of the wallet to check on some details a few days later after coming in from mowing the lawn on a humid day. Had to VERY carefully unfold it and dry it, to maintain the integrity of the paper.

Made an appointment for a checkup the next day. I was still very healthy and doctor-free in those days, but I figured if the state thought that slip of tissue paper would outlive the guy they were issuing it to, I better check and see if they knew something I didn't. 8^)

Hardest part in duplicating that one was finding some computer paper that matched the hot pink of the original.

Suppose it would be too late to get language in the bill saying that such a license should be issued in a usable format? Or at least that reasonable facsimiles printed at home would be acceptable substitutes?

04-Feb-14
Just posted the resolution to my Facebook page. Should be interesting to see what kind of comments and support it gets.

• Sitka Gear