Mathews Inc.
Talk about "Trad'!!
New York
Contributors to this thread:
Jdawg 24-Jan-14
SJJ 06-Feb-14
24-Jan-14
On the subject of "traditional" tackle, it sure has been around a long time. Check out the link attached. Not mentioned what kind of wood the arrow shafts were made of but I know some bowyers still use elm laminations in recurves and long bows. Incredible how old this stuff is...didn't know they were using bows quite that far back.

I guess it was inevitable the authors of the article would drag Global Warming in. Suggests to me that it was warmer up there at some point, warm enough for there to actually be enough food and browse to support herds of Caribou/Reindeer and draw Neolithic hunters to the region. Hmmm....maybe even as warm as it is....today!

Curious that the author seems distressed that the artifacts were exposed by melting snow. If not exposed by melting, whether by cyclical climatic changes or a simple warm spell, how else would they ever find this stuff? What good are artifacts buried in the ice, never to be found. found that comment kind of curious.

Another interesting thing they found but only a couple thousand years old....hunters back then also wore wool of some sort...how cool is that?

http://allthingsaafs.com/2013/10/04/5400-year-old-neolithic-bow-and-arrows-found-in-norway/

06-Feb-14
Cool...kinda like shed hunting

• Sitka Gear