roger 06-Apr-14
Rut Nut 07-Apr-14
roger 07-Apr-14
PAbowhunter1064 11-Apr-14
Rut Nut 11-Apr-14
31-Jan-14

PAbowhunter1064's MOBILE embedded Photo

I wanted to start this thread, because I thought it would be interesting for everyone to share and showcase what arrows they shoot. Like many of you, I take a lot of pride in all my archery equipment. These GoldTip Expedition Hunters 7595's are adorned with UBP wraps, yellow GT nocks, white and yellow 3" Fuzion vanes, and tipped with 100gr 3 blade Rages.

If you have pictures of the arrows that are worthy of a place in your quiver, let's see them. If not, snap a few photos and post them! I'm curious to see what the PA Bowsiters are shooting! :)

31-Jan-14

31-Jan-14
Man, they're nice looking!

But Rages >------> UT-OH here we go.

Nice, Bill V.

31-Jan-14
LOL! Thanks Bill V.! And, I'm definitely not trying to incite another broadhead thread! :)

31-Jan-14
Wow- NICE! Where did you get the UBP wraps???!!!!

I got new Easton Axis arrows this year with blazer vanes. But I don;t like the wraps they came with. They look cool, but seem to be much longer and thicker that standard wraps. And they have a sharp edge on them. THink they might be hard on my wiskerbiscuit, so looking to re-wrap and fletch them.

31-Jan-14
1816 Easton aluminum Camo Hunters, white cap, 1 orange & 2 chartruse parabolic cut feathers, orange nock, Zwickey 2 blade 125gr heads. They fly beautifully from my 47# Abbott longbow.

31-Jan-14
Perry- I sent you a PM. Let me know if you got it. I keep getting an error message when I send them.

31-Jan-14
Nice Red!

31-Jan-14

Phil Magistro's embedded Photo
Phil Magistro's embedded Photo
Depends on the bow I'm using. Lots more in boxes or laying around.

31-Jan-14

roger's embedded Photo
roger's embedded Photo
Sissy pants pink for this boy:)

31-Jan-14
And Phil,........Wow!

31-Jan-14
Beman ICS 340 Hunters, 29" with white wraps, chartreuse and lime green blazer vanes. Tipped with 125 grain Rage 2 blade or 125 grain Magnus Stingers, depending on what and where I'm hunting. I like heavy arrows.

Dave

31-Jan-14
I remember seeing Red carrying a 5 Gallon bucket full of arrows at the GPSH. Can't figure out why some guys need lots of arrows?

~(8o)

31-Jan-14
It's called Target Saturation.

31-Jan-14
Phil- I'm in awe of your arrow collection. It kinda reminds me of my girlfriends shoe collection! You are definitely ready for the zombie apocalypse!

Roger- It takes a real man to shoot pink arrahs!! :)

31-Jan-14
That's about 1/2 of the arrows I have. Most of those are just the everyday shooters. Many of them are Microflites. All the good ones are in boxes. :)

Remember though that this is what's left from decades worth of shooting plus more arrows for my son. I donated a couple hundred to the troops overseas last year.

31-Jan-14
PA', thanks, but really it just takes one who doesn't care much if he's ridiculed.....LOL :) How I got to fluorescent pink was that I was looking for a high contrast fletching, and didn't want white anymore as it's easily detected by deer, being that I generally hunt off the ground these days. With certain bright colors I'm able to see the arrow off the shelf just several feet out, and you should see how well pink shows at the deer or turkey on impact. :)

01-Feb-14
Roger- I knew that deer could pick out the color white, but never even gave that a thought when selecting arrow wraps...might have to rethink my current setup :/ Good info! Btw... I don't think I'd want to be the deer or turkey who got hit by a pink arrow, and lived to tell about it! LOL ;D

01-Feb-14

My girlfriend insisted that her arrows look like a zebra...

01-Feb-14

...and my son insisted on having blue flames and grim reapers!

01-Feb-14
(And neither one of them have earned their Rages yet!) ;)

01-Feb-14

Joe The Teacher's embedded Photo
Joe The Teacher's embedded Photo
Easton Axis 400. Fletched by one of the best bow tech,Rob Luke. Slick trick broad head. You guys have some really pretty stuff,I am jealous!

Joe

01-Feb-14
Btw, I'll give you guys a good lead on arrows wraps. If you go to tapebrothers.com they sell "cast vinyl tape". It's 1.0" wide and comes in all the popular solid and solid fluorescent colors. 30' per roll will get you about 50 wraps @ 7" each, which costs &6.76+shipping.........You will not find a better deal anywhere. :)

01-Feb-14
Those arrows all look too good to get busted up going through chest cavities :)))

Billv

03-Feb-14
Phil- I don;t think I ever owned that many arrows in my life! ;-)

Josh- cool arrows! Looks like it's pretty easy to tell whose arrows are whose! ;-) Got your PM- thanks!

Joe- nice arrows- I shoot the 340's.

03-Feb-14
Roger- Thanks for the link at tapebrothers.com. Looks like they have some pretty good stuff!

Bill V- I don't mind busting them up...kinda gives me an excuse to make new ones! ;)

Joe- Nice arrows! (now please tuck that broadhead back in the quiver....that pic is making me nervous!) :/

Perry- Every now and then, I catch myself wanting to shoot one of those zebra arrows! LOL! :D

Keep the pictures comin' folks!

03-Feb-14

George D. Stout's embedded Photo
George D. Stout's embedded Photo
Phil needs that many arrows. 8^). Just trying to help RC out here.

03-Feb-14

Jeff Durnell's embedded Photo
Jeff Durnell's embedded Photo
Barrel-tapered hickory in mine. Wild turkey feathers with a little white spliced on so my subconscious can track and predict their flight paths, and I can see the point of impact.

03-Feb-14
George and Jeff- Wow!! Nice bows, nice arrows, and really nice pictures! I have a great appreciation for the guys that actually make their own arrow shafts from wood and use bird feathers for vanes. It seems that perhaps a little bit more attention to detail is needed during your arrow building process. For me, the trickiest part is peeling the vinyl wraps off the sheet, and getting all the air bubbles out once they're applied to the shaft....and getting all the superglue off of my fingers! LOL ;)

03-Feb-14
There was a time when I had 300+ wood arrows for various uses. Several dozen flu-flu's, a couple dozen target and hunting, and the rest were stumpers.

I don't have near that number now. I shoot aluminum for target and hunting, and oak dowels for stumping. I still have around six dozen flu-flu's for launching at squirrels.

Fletching arrows is one of those winter cabin fever things I do. I was just working on another batch of stumpers this evening. There's nothing quite like PBR, good music, and glue fumes in an unventilated room to pass the time on a cold winter night.

04-Feb-14
Phil's photo reminds of walking into PT Sports and Hobby. :^)

You guys carry some really nice looking arrahs. I don't know if I could bring myself to shoot those beauties.

04-Feb-14
There's nothing quite like PBR, good music, and glue fumes in an unventilated room to pass the time on a cold winter night.

LOL! Now I know why you stickbow guys are a little "different", Red! ;-)

05-Feb-14
HAHAHA! Rut- I was thinking the same thing!! :) I'm not sure which would have the worse effect....the PBR or the fumes!! Too funny, Red! :D

05-Feb-14

RLong's embedded Photo
RLong's embedded Photo
Been the same for awhile now.

05-Feb-14
R.Long- Nice looking arrows! The red and black zebra blazer vanes look pretty awesome!

26-Feb-14

JimPic's embedded Photo
JimPic's embedded Photo
Which quiver? :-)

26-Feb-14
JimPic- that picture is worth a thousand words! (and arrows!) :D

26-Feb-14
Nice collection you got there, Jim!

I'm looking forward to re-fletching my Easton Axis arrows with new wraps soon, thanks to PAbowhunter! ;-)

26-Feb-14
JimPic, outstanding - all of it!

26-Feb-14
PAbowhunter1064, I'm sorry if you Already answered this but where did you get the UBP wraps? How does your girlfriend like those Gold tip arrows? My Wife started shooting them a couple years ago and she loves them, I'm still stuck on the Easton FMJ but Gold tip makes a great arrow.

26-Feb-14
Perry- Your wraps are ordered and on their way! Those Easton Axis are gonna look sweeet!! ;)

Mrw hunter- I'm so sorry! I totally forgot to post on here where I get these UBP wraps. I get them custom made by [email protected]. He makes them and lists them for sale on Webstore.com. If you have an idea of what you would like to see in an arrow wrap, he can make it! You pick the colors, designs, and tell him to incorporate the UBP logo. He takes the rest from there, and emails you a draft before you buy. Here is the link....

http://www.webstore.com/item,pgr,1Dz-Custom-DESIGN-YOUR-OWN-arrow-wraps-Color-size-vinyl,name,36984150,auction_id,auction_details

I've been shooting GoldTips for the past 3 years or so, and I've had nothing but excellent results with them. I used to shoot Beman ICS's, but I got a great deal on a dozen GoldTip Expedition hunters on Ebay. I was so impressed with their design and toughness, that I never switched back. My girlfriend and my son both shoot the GT 3555's, and have no complaints thus far. Your wife is very smart! :)

26-Feb-14

PAbowhunter1064's Link
...sorry....try this!

26-Feb-14
SWEET! :) Thanks Josh!

27-Feb-14
Thanks Josh, I really appreciate it! Are you going to the UBP banquet this weekend?

28-Feb-14
Mike- Anytime buddy! I wish that I was able to make the UBP banquet this weekend, but unfortunately I have other committments. Have a great time, and try to keep the rowdy bunch in line! ;)

28-Feb-14

UBPer's embedded Photo
UBPer's embedded Photo
Got these at one of our banquets.

28-Feb-14
UBPer- Those are some real nice looking UBP wraps!! I really like the green and yellow flames! :)

28-Feb-14
Josh, I'll do my best to keep them under control but I can't make any promises HAHA!

01-Mar-14
Gene- nice wraps! I think mine will look similar to that design.

Josh- LOL! But Mike is usually at the Rowdy Table! ;-)

06-Mar-14
Well, I got the wraps- they look SWEET!(Thanks Josh ;-) I removed the factory wraps and vanes on 6 of my arrows and installed the new custom UBP wraps. THey look awesome, even w/out fletching! Now I just have to find some green blazers to fletch them up with. Hope to have them finished and post some pics soon! :)

06-Mar-14
Perry- I'm glad you finally got them, and I can't wait to see the finished product! Keep us posted! :)

06-Mar-14
Goldtip 35/55 traditionals, 27",3 5"lw barred sheild feathers,3 gpi weight tubes, and 175 grain, shaving sharp Grizzlies.

Leaving to hunt hogs in SC on St. Patrick's Day.

06-Mar-14
Good luck to you and the others!!

07-Mar-14
Always liked the looks of shield cut feathers. Good luck Bob! Wish I was headed south about now for Hogs- that sounds FANTASTIC! :)

07-Mar-14
Good luck, Bob!! Make sure you take pictures, and post them here!!

11-Mar-14
Well, I got 6 fletched up with the green blazers last night and even got some pictures. They look AWESOME! :) Unfortunately, I couldn;t figure out how to get the pics off my new phone. Gonna have to ask my son for help tonight. :) Hopefully have pics posted soon!

11-Mar-14
"Unfortunately, I couldn;t figure out how to get the pics off my new phone."

Sounds like that golden retriever/cinnamon bear story to me. :^)

11-Mar-14
LOL Dave- I may have to use the old phone and download to my PC! THought it would be easier with the newer technology! (It probably is, if you know what to do! ;-)

02-Apr-14

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Well, I finally got a pic to post................and it's out of focus! :(

I'll try to get some good pics tonight, now that I got some help and figured out how to get them off my phone! Thanks Josh! ;-)

02-Apr-14
Perry- Even blurry, they look pretty darn sweet! :D

02-Apr-14

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
LOL! OK- try this again. ;-)

02-Apr-14
They look Great! Did you fletch them?

03-Apr-14

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Thanks Mike!

Yeah, here is a before/after pic. They came with orange and white blazers. I stripped the factory wraps/fletching off and put the new wraps on and then fletched with green and white blazers.

03-Apr-14

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
This is what the wraps look like before they go on the arrows. Probably would even look a little better on a wider shaft- but those Axis shafts are pretty skinny! ;-)

But overall, I am very happy with how they came out! The colors match real well, the white really stands out when you shoot them and I think the UBP logo and "flames" look pretty cool! :)

03-Apr-14

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
And here's what they look like in action! ;-)

03-Apr-14
Very nice looking arrows there Perry.

And really good shooting too! I know it's where you're supposed to aim with that particular angle, I just couldn't bring myself to shoot a turkey there. I'm afraid I'd involuntarily pucker and wind up flinching. :^)

03-Apr-14
Thanks Dave!

LOL! on the flinching/puckering! :)

03-Apr-14
Perry- I'm willing to bet, that turkey has never been shot by a finer lookin' set of arrows! Man, do they look incredible!! Good job, and great group! :D

03-Apr-14

Bob McArthur's embedded Photo
Here's what's in my longbow quiver.

03-Apr-14

...in my recurve hunting quiver

03-Apr-14

My 3-D quiver.

05-Apr-14
Nice arrows, Bob! Great pictures too! I noticed that you cropped that last photo so we couldn't see that Rage on the end of your arrow!! ;) LOL!

05-Apr-14

I just finished some more arrows last night. I wanted to try out these new AAE MaxHunter vanes, and I need to catch up to Phil's arrow collection! I think they turned out pretty good, but they pale in comparison to RutNut's!! That guy is shooting some sweet look in' arrahs!! Deer, bear, and carp are gonna want to jump in the way of those Easton's, Perry!! :)

05-Apr-14

05-Apr-14

05-Apr-14

05-Apr-14

05-Apr-14

This isn't a typical group. I was shooting from 120 yards, uphill, and in a 64 mph crosswind. I'm going to keep practicing...I'm not satisfied until my arrows "kiss"! ;)

05-Apr-14
Josh, you do know that all of the world's best archers are in fact on the internet, right? :)

05-Apr-14
Roger- ...and we got them all right here on Bowsite!! ;)

05-Apr-14
Man you guys have quite the arrow collection!

PAbowhunter- I noticed you use the GT Expedition 7595's. I need to pick up some arrows myself and was leaning towards the 5575's, a little lighter. Do you recommend the heavier arrows for hunting or do you think the 5575's will do fine? Instead of a dozen I'm just going to get a half dozen, and put the extra $45 in my new/used bow account :)

05-Apr-14
Chris, I shoot the GT 7595's because that what the arrow selection chart at GoldTip.com recommends. I believe I read in another thread, that you have a 31" draw length and your bow is set at 64lbs? Depending on the length of your arrow, (mine are 28.5"), I would guess that you might want to be shooting the 7595's too. My stats are very similar to yours. I'm no expert on whether shooting a heavier arrow is beneficial, but I can tell you I've had excellent results with these. Definitely check out the arrow selection chart I referenced above.

05-Apr-14
Chris, proper spine deflection is going to dictate that you use a .340(if not .300 with more aggressive cams) arrow which the 7595 is. It's a combination of your draw length and it's obvious arrow length requirement due to it, and draw weight combined with cams(compound). A standard Goldtip 7595 is only 8.9 grains per pound(GPP) vs. a standard 5575 at 8.2 GPP. "Spine" is relevant because it dictates how much an arrow will 'flex' at the shot. Too much flex and the arrow will shoot "weak", too much spine and it will shoot "stiff".

With a compound and a mechanical release the arrow will 'flex' along the vertical plane(downward). Boiled down what this means is it's OK to shoot an arrow a little "stiff", but too "weak", even a little, can be a nightmare to tune.

06-Apr-14
Bob- nice cresting on those red and green feathered arrows!

Josh- WOW! Those are some WILD arrows- you're all ready for Safari! ;-)

06-Apr-14
PAbowhunter- correct my dl is 31" but my dw is only 50lbs. right now. I checked out the chart as you recommended. Thanks for the info very helpful.

roger- I have read up some basics on what the spine of an arrow is and how it affects the arrow but don't know much I appreciate you breaking it down for me.

With my dl and dw and the fact that my bow is only shooting about 200-210fps, if I have the chart correct, it says use 400 spine arrows? Would it be bad to use the 300 spined arrows?

I was looking at the EXP Hunters in lost camo. The 5575's are 400 spine at 9.0gpp or should I use the 7595's with 300 spine at 10.9gpp? Now I'm getting confused lol, would the 7595's be to heavy in lost camo?

06-Apr-14
If you guys like the Zebra stripe look then Walmart sells it in contact paper form in the kitchen department. Works fantastic for feathers and vanes alike.......dirt cheap too. :)

07-Apr-14
Thanks Roger. But the walmart stuff doesn't come with the UBP logo! ;-)

07-Apr-14
Chris, I thought I read above that your draw weight was 64#....? Now I see that your actually at 50#, so yes, "the chart" is likely correct.

Spine refers the arrow's inherent ability to resist flexure and those deflection numbers denote arrow spine. The stiffer the arrow the more it will resist flex. The lower then deflection number the stiffer the arrow. In other words, a .500 deflection is weaker than .400. The more draw weight your pulling the more it will flex the arrow, hence the stiffer the spine requirement of the arrow. For compounds the charts are generally close enough and for recurves and longbows they generally show 10#-12" stiff, for whatever reason. I just use the standard Goldtip XT 5575 on my recurves and they are 8.2gpp which is plenty for whitetails, so they'd be more than enough from your compound.

For now anyway, I highly recommend you hook up with a good pro shop to get you started in all this because it is critical to get tune correct.

11-Apr-14
Perry- I'm definitely ready for a safari! I'm planning a trip to the wild PA savannahs, in seach of the elusive and fierce Greater Whistle Pigs! LOL! :-D

Chris- I agree with roger on your arrow selection. Take any advice you get from him...he definitely knows his stuff! (with the exception of broadheads) ;)

11-Apr-14
LOL Josh! Have fun, brother! :)

• Sitka Gear