Contributors to this thread:
brewski 31-Jan-14
Boly 31-Jan-14
brewski 01-Feb-14
c3 01-Feb-14
Boly 01-Feb-14
brewski 02-Feb-14
31-Jan-14
I'm fortunate to call Utah home now and I'm trying to figure out the Elk application system. I've hunted Elk in Colorado for several years, but I need some help in trying to pick a unit here in Utah for a branch bull. I have no pref. pts. and I don't know if I even have a chance at getting into branch bull areas. I'd be willing to join up with another bow hunter that has the freedom to hunt anytime during the season. Any advice, or anyone who wants to team up? I reside in Midway just outside of Heber.

31-Jan-14
You havea couple of options for branch antlered bulls. First you can put in for a limited entry hunt but chances are it will be years before you'll draw (depending on the unit). Second you can hunt the any bull units and then you can just buy it over the counter and hunt each year. There is always the spike only areas and you can shoot spikes or cows only. We just don't have the options here. I hunt both the open bull areas and the spike only areas.

01-Feb-14
Boly... I have the application guide book but it is really vague.It would be nice if the map would show some of the towns around the units just for reference.

01-Feb-14

c3's Link
A Gen archery elk tag is statewide over-the-counter. You can hunt all the gen units and all the spike units in addition to the extended archery elk units. It allows you to hunt for 4 months straight for elk if you want to.

Your local unit for LE elk is Wasatch Mtns. It has the second most LE archery tags available in the state and people with zero points draw it regularly.

Here's the maps for the deer units closest to home for you. Far from vague :)

http://wildlife.utah.gov/maps/public/details_boundary.php?boundary_id=620

http://wildlife.utah.gov/maps/public/details_boundary.php?boundary_id=621

The supporting link above is the one to get to any map for any species and hunt.

Cheers, Pete

01-Feb-14
It looks like C3 has answered your questions pretty good. Any other questions?

02-Feb-14
Good job guy's. Thanks for the information . Good luck to you all this season and stay safe

• Sitka Gear