hawkeye in PA 14-Feb-14
mixed bag 15-Feb-14
roger 15-Feb-14
Jeff Durnell 15-Feb-14
roger 15-Feb-14
Jeff Durnell 15-Feb-14
Red Beastmaster 16-Feb-14
09-Feb-14
Saturday I was up on my woodlot bag course stomping out a path through the thick crust. I was shooting my longbow and just enjoying getting a break from babysitting duty.

About 200yd out in the field I saw a couple deer coming down over the hill. A couple deer turned into 22 as they just kept pouring out of the woods! They slipped and slid down to the flat, went into a narrow strip of trees, and turned back toward me when the dogs started barking at them.

I did not move from my spot during this whole episode and soon the herd was coming right into the woods with me on a trail about 50yd away. The bigger deer would break through the crust occasionally, the little guys were just prancing about on top of the ice. Right in the middle of all these does was a nice buck! It looked like it may have had 8 points.

They piled up and milled around when they hit my scent stream. A few of them noticed me standing there only 40yd away but I didn't budge. Eventually they turned and ran down over the field the way they came. What a stampede! You should have heard the noise they made busting the ice as they ran in single file. I certainly didn't want to make them run and possibly get hurt on the ice, but they all seemed to be getting good footing.

The deer must be having a rough time lately with all this ice on top of the snow. That is the most deer I've seen around here in many years.

That was the first buck I saw since last summer. I was starting to think they all left. Anyways it was a cool experience and I was glad to see it.

10-Feb-14
22 deer, that's way too many. Sounds like they need to raise the antlerless allocations there :^)

Yeah, they must be having a harder time getting to food now. I've had deer in my yard every evening and off and on all through the night, eating the plants around my house.... some right up AGAINST the house. Over a dozen last night at dusk. I didn't see any bucks though. I can see them during the day sometimes laying back there in the woods.

10-Feb-14
That must have made your heart beat faster. Sounds like they're yarding up. Years ago we would drive around Ross Mountain Park outside Ligonier during this time of year and see a couple hundred deer. Seems like all the deer that lived on the mountain moved to lower ground in the deep snow.

10-Feb-14
The eating is better down off the mountain for sure. One really bad year the deer were actually picking through the manure spread on the field. I never thought they would do that.

10-Feb-14
All of the deer we killed this year had extremely long coats - I've never seen anything like it. Apparently they knew better than we did what was in store for the coming winter. I have seen them having a difficult time digging through the ice and snow in an effort to get to the food, however.

10-Feb-14
LOL Red! Glad it gave ya a smile! :)

Seen many deer the last couple weeks walking in the road. Not across...............right down the middle. Saw one the other day walk down the road, turn right and walk up one of my neighbor's driveway! ;-) They learn quick it's alot easier getting around IN the roads.

11-Feb-14
The woods behind my yard was crawling with deer just before dark, then they came up and continued demolishing the rhododendrons around our house. It was amazing how they stripped their leaves just last night alone. Two plants, previously untouched, amost bald in one night. Dogs are going crazy barking at them right outside our bay window. Deer and dogs literally just several feet apart.

My wife put a bunch of veggies down in the woods for them today to try to divert them from her plants, they ate some, but it's not working. They're up here too.

I don't really care about our plants, if they're that hungry, they can have em.

Maybe I'll run down there tomorrow and look for a good tree or two to drop for em.

Lol... dogs are barking again.

11-Feb-14
Jeff they love those rhododendrons and azaleas too! Unfortunately the Rhodie leaves have zero nutritional value... We feed during hard times with sweet feed from tractor supply.

Course you could throw corn out there.... They won't be hungry anymore :)

11-Feb-14
Around 4:15 +/- each morn, I wake up, look outside, and see the sensor lights are on. Have been seeing a couple deer regularly, with a 4 or 6 point buck even meandering around during the quietest day times, too. This is the city limits of Greensburg. They must like our bird feeder, and, the pile of corn I put out for whoever stops by.

I had a sawbuck, but I spent it on pizza.

12-Feb-14
There's a Tractor Supply and an Agway on my way home. I'll see what they've got this afternoon.

12-Feb-14
I've got Mt. laurel in our yard/woods that look like trees. Years of browsing everything below 6 ft. The deer will get up on their hind legs to try to reach the leaves.

12-Feb-14
I did a little investigating and decided not to buy food for the deer to eat. There's a good chance their digestive processes aren't equipped to deal with it right now. If anything, I might drop a tree for them tomorrow.

12-Feb-14
Dropping a tree is fine... cut off some toppings if ya don't wanna cut a whole tree.

13-Feb-14
Red, So you are hiding deer?

13-Feb-14
Hawkeye, not hiding, just keeping my mouth shut about them! :)

I've had several does and fawns hanging around here all year. I was lucky enough to put one in my freezer and played around with the others throughout the season. Where all these others (including the buck) came from is anyone's guess. There is a lot of mountain between my woodlot and the windmills.

If it weren't for the half dozen locals it would have been a very sucky hunting season. I think I saw 4 other deer while hunting other areas.

Back when we had a decent (and very healthy) deer herd it was nothing to see a couple dozen come out in the big field across from the house. One winter day I counted 75 at one time.

With the nice mix of farm land, small woodlots, and huge parcels of forest we have here in southern 2C there was no reason to thin them down so drastically. Even during a rough winter the deer were always in good shape.

Don't get me started! LOL

It was a nice blast from the past to see a decent size group of deer again.

14-Feb-14
Deb says she seen 7 deer the other night go across the back yard. Thats our "herd" now. They are finally coming out of the posted lands.

15-Feb-14
The deer in my development are walking the roads I guess for the salt Tough winter for them that's for sure

15-Feb-14
I hadn't seen any dead one's on Rt 376 and the other roadways that take me back and forth to work in probably a month or so. Now, just in the last week, fresh bodies are showing up everywhere, especially in residential areas......Been a tough winter for all, I suppose. Would have to imagine this is going to be some sort of record setting season......Bundle up. :)

15-Feb-14

Jeff Durnell's embedded Photo
Jeff Durnell's embedded Photo
Empty feed buckets :^)

15-Feb-14
........Jeff's food plot. LOL. Ya' got a stand in that Maple beside it? ;^)

15-Feb-14
There ya go! And the wife can throw me a sandwhich at lunch time since those things are within spittin distance of my front door :^)

16-Feb-14
I'm in Somerset Co.

It's been one week since I saw those deer trying to navigate on the ice. In that time we now have 2' of fresh snow on top of the ice.

I tried to go up to the woods today but it was not worth the effort. I stomped a path on my range and shot a bit. Then I plowed the driveway, twice. We got another 6" today. It's getting old.

• Sitka Gear