Contributors to this thread:
Grayghost 10-Feb-14
toehead 11-Feb-14
Quailhunter 11-Feb-14
toehead 11-Feb-14
toehead 11-Feb-14
Lost Arra 12-Feb-14
10-Feb-14
Guys this is so screwed up. Surely this will get axed but if it goes through as written, say goodbye to deer hunting as we know it. Six points on one side?

"STATE OF OKLAHOMA

2nd Session of the 54th Legislature (2014)

HOUSE BILL 2978 By: Schwartz

AS INTRODUCED

An Act relating to game and fish; establishing an antler-point restriction for whitetail deer taken during open deer gun season; specifying number of antler points; limiting number of antlered deer taken during open deer gun season; exempting certain youth hunters from the antler-point restrictions; directing the Wildlife Conservation Commission to establish certain limits for antlerless deer during open deer gun season; providing for codification; and providing an effective date.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA: SECTION 1. NEW LAW A new section of law to be codified in the Oklahoma Statutes as Section 5-416 of Title 29, unless there is created a duplication in numbering, reads as follows:

A. Except as otherwise provided, during open deer gun season as established by the Wildlife Conservation Commission only antlered whitetail deer that have at least six points on one side of their rack may be hunted, killed, captured or otherwise taken. Each person shall be limited to hunting, killing, capturing or otherwise taking not more than two antlered whitetail deer during open deer gun season. B. The antler-point restriction for whitetail deer set forth in subsection A of this section shall not apply to youth hunters under sixteen (16) years of age. C. The Wildlife Conservation Commission shall determine the catch limits, bag limits and possession limits for antlerless whitetail deer that may be harvested during the open deer gun season. SECTION 2. This act shall become effective November 1, 2014.

54-2-9207 KB 01/12/14"

11-Feb-14
Very interesting. I knew the ODWC was pushing for more mature deer to be killed but geeZe! Looks,like an all out war on does again probably pushed by the insurance companies? Just my own speculation but this is vert scary indeed!

11-Feb-14
My email to Rep. Schwartz and a quick response....

Representative Schwartz,

As an avid deer hunter, I am in total disbelief of the wording in HB 2978. I would like to know what research you are using to come up with an anter restriction of six points on one side. Also, have you had any input from the biologists who work hard every day at the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation? Have you had input from other deer hunters that feel a six point on one side restriction would benefit the overall health of Oklahoma's deer herd. Can you please tell me how this would not, for the most part, eliminate buck harvest in the State of Oklahoma? What is your motive behind this bill? Frankly, I find it very disturbing that legislation like this is ever even introduced given the great history of how whitetail deer were brought back to this state. I would really appreciate an explanation so I can pass it along to my other friends who enjoy the natural resources that this state has to offer. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Aaron K. Prickett

Mr. Prickett,

I wanted to answer a few of your concerns about Oklahoma HB2978. First, let me thank you for taking the time to contact my office. Let me also assure you that it is not my intention to take away from the sport. I am actually a hunter myself and realize what such a point restriction would do whitetail hunting. The staff attorneys that drafted the language of this bill, however, made a mistake. In its origin, this bill was intended to start a conversation among conservationist, including the Department of Wildlife, on better deer management techniques that would cultivate a more mature buck population. Substitute language is being prepared which will change the wording to "at least a combined six points total on their rack." Any combination would be acceptable, both symmetrical or asymmetrical, that equal at least six points, including combinations of 5 by 1, 4 by 2, and 3 by 3. At this time we do not plan to propose the implementation of any new restrictions. We are continuing our conversations with the Department of Wildlife to determine possible deer population management techniques for Oklahoma. Please feel free to share my comments or contact my office with any additional questions.

Thanks,

Caitlin Harwell

Legislative Assistant

Rep. Colby Schwartz – District 43

2300 N. Lincoln Blvd., Room 407

Oklahoma City, OK 73105

Capitol: (405) 557-7352

11-Feb-14
Deer population management techniques. Please take note of that. It's about killing does disguised as big deer management

11-Feb-14
http://okne.ws/1iYFmIP

Hahahaha looks like the troops were rallies. The BCO posted the bill on their Facebook page this morning. Thanks GrayGhost for posting here as well!

I say don't let up off the gas keep pounding them with emails and phone calls send a message!

12-Feb-14
>>The staff attorneys that drafted the language of this bill, however, made a mistake.<<

I wonder how many times this happens on other bills that are passed without a correction.

• Sitka Gear