bow shot 21-Feb-14
SteveBNY 22-Feb-14
bow shot 22-Feb-14
erict 22-Feb-14
bow shot 23-Feb-14
GAFFER1 24-Feb-14
bow shot 01-Mar-14
21-Feb-14
Any one know when landowners can start using these?

I guess I'd rather know they are being killed before fawns are born to be orphaned…

The local guy slaughters them all summer. He call our block "the orphanage". Thinks its funny.

21-Feb-14
My nephew gets them when needed. There is always an assessment done before they issue any tags for him.

21-Feb-14
Any one know when they can start using them? Can they be used immediately after season?

As much as I don't like it (I have at least one other thread on this NY forum about this…) If they can be killed now, I'd rather that be the case than the wait-till-summer thing.

Anyway, does anyone know when the killing can begin? I'm coming up dry on the DEC site. 'Probably should just call.

Pat I hunted the Booneville area a few years back. Beautiful, beautiful area. At the time however, it was during the CWD thing there. 3 days of rain, and not a hide to be seen. Tons of grouse though, lol!!

22-Feb-14
Not positive, but I believe they can be used anytime outside of regular seasons. Most wait to at least spring to see what the population is before applying.

The difference between the number of tags some feel are issued/used and the actual numbers is often considerable. The 1st year my nephew got 6 - filled 5, I was there. By hunting season, reports in the coffee shops had him at killing 30+.

22-Feb-14
understood, lol!

22-Feb-14

erict's Link
The DEC now calls these "Deer Damage Permits". It seems clear to me when they state they can be used - see below in the first sentence. More information on the options available are at the link:

Deer Damage Permits (DDPs)

To reduce damage problems on individual properties, WHILE damage is occurring.

Often called "Nuisance" or "Damage" permits.

•Available throughout the state.

•Applications available to landowners from DEC Wildlife offices.

•Taking by permittee and approved agents only.

•Eligibility for permits is based on property damage and the lack of, or failure, of other practical alternatives to alleviate the problem.

•Permit may be limited to harassment techniques or allow the taking of deer.

•Permits generally are NOT available during an open deer hunting season.

•Usually for antlerless deer only.

•DEC issues tags to permittee for a limited number of deer.

•Permit activity limited to lands specified on the permit.

•Permittee must report all deer taken to DEC.

•No charge.

Application Deadline

Permit issued when damage warrants it.

23-Feb-14
ahh… perfect. Thanks!!

24-Feb-14
I know an orchard that gets permits to shoot them most of the winter. They eat the tender ends of the branches on the trees. Has to antlerless deer but they shoot plenty of bucks that have dropped their racks. The worse thing is that the area is kind of a winter area for deer that head off the surrounding mountains. More problems for the orchard but sure thins the herd for miles around.

01-Mar-14
yup, yup… good for one bunch, bad for the other.

I figure if someone is going to kill them and leave them to rot and create orphans, (and ruin our local hunting) I might as well shoot them now for venison. At lease get ahead of the procreation of orphans.

Very sad how things have degenerated.

• Sitka Gear