Phil Magistro 26-Feb-14
DCNOE 26-Feb-14
Teeton 06-Mar-14
Nyswitchback 06-Mar-14
exsanguinator 13-Mar-14
DCNOE 18-Mar-14
Dale Miller 23-Mar-14
25-Feb-14
I'm a long time viewer of Bowsite who very very rarely post comments and I've never posted a topic/question. I'm looking for some feedback from those experienced with foodplots.

One of the spots I hunt is a 90 acre farm (approx 50 acre field 40 acre woods/hedgerows). The land owner leases the fields to a local farmer. He had corn in the fields this year and plans on corn again next year. The following year he will plant soy bean.

I've always wanted to do a food plot, but finding an area that not planted by the farmer is difficult to impossible. To complicate matters I don't have the equipment to plow and prep the area if it was available. So my question is can I spead any type of seed on the areas he plows and plants the corn? My thoughts are that it would grow in the rows between the corn. I'm assuming if it was possible, I would need to plant something that does well in shade...suggections?

Lastly, I want in no way to damage the farmers crops by doing this. Damage from the deer is expected, I just don't want to kill the crops with what I'm planting Is that a possibility?

My intention if this is possible would be to do it in a few different areas around the edges of the farm.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

25-Feb-14
Ask the guy leasing if he'd plow a bit outside of his plantings or in a more discreet area. Heck it may keep down to a degree, his crop damage....

25-Feb-14
I planted 2 small (commrecially made seed) plots in sections that the farmer's corn planter skipped over. I just raked them up, threw seed by hand and raked a little dirt back over it. It worked fine and grew well. Brasica mixed with clover and turnips (big ones). One section he picked over and it really didn't hurt anything. The other section he never got to and the corn is still there. Pick something they will eat before hunting season is over. They didn't touch my stuff until rifle season. Doesn't look like they have been visiting it in the snow. Still eating the corn tho.

25-Feb-14
I'm sure there are several options to plant amongst the corn but I would defiantly get permission from the farmer leasing the land. You don't want to put something down that may take needed minerals and nutrients out of the soil that would compete with the corn and lessen his yield. After all it's his fertilizer that your seeds would be feeding off of.

I would talk to the guy let him know what you want to do and why. He may be willing to help you out by planting a small area for you say maybe 1/2 acre for a small fee.

Mike

26-Feb-14
Dont farmers now plant buffer zones on the outside of their fields?? I know of several around here planting a different crop outlining their corn/beans.

26-Feb-14
You may find some answers and more information on this Bowsite spinoff site that Pat created for food plots - http://www.deerbuilder.com/

26-Feb-14
All good useful information. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'll look into the new website and see if it offers any suggestions as well.

Dave

06-Mar-14
Over 20 years of food plot building. Working with land owners and so on. What TreeRat and Stick n String's said is spot on..

I'd talk to the land owner and the farmer first. I'd find out when the farmer is cutting the corn. I'd get 50lbs of just feed oats and 50lbs of rye (Make sure it rye grain). I'd mix the two grains together well. A few days before he's going to cut the corn I'd try to go broadcast the seed into the standing corn if possible. The wheels from the equipment will do most of the planning. If the soil is damp you should have 2 to 3 inch growth in just 3 days.. The oats well die at first frost but the rye will last into winter..

If I had two plots to hunt over clover or young oats I'd be at the oats plot. Tee

06-Mar-14
Thats a tough one and good answers so far. One worry I would have is whether the farmer is chopping the corn for silage in September/October or planning on a combine coming later in the year for grain. If left Standing until later in the yr I have had good luck with brassicas spread in between the rows before a rain when the corn starts to dry down. If the farmer harvests when the fields are somewhat wet it really makes a mess of things. Make sure to ask the farmer what he is ok with

13-Mar-14
You would certainly need permission from the farmer before you did anything on land he is leasing. I have not seen what you are suggesting done and considering how close the corn rows are planted these days the corn would not allow any sunlight to penetrate to the ground for your plants to grow.

Best to talk with the farmer and see if he could help you come up with a plan. You might even consider asking him if he could just not cut the corn for several rows closest to the woods you plan to hunt or in a corner or a few 1/4 acre areas and just pay him what he might charge to leave the corn standing. He might even do it for some back strap or some venison burger or some jerky?? Farmers got a chew on something while he is driving the tractor.

If you are already hunting close to agriculture then the deer have food plots, seems like you are looking more for an attraction plot or a kill plot. Good luck keep us posted as to how it works out.

18-Mar-14
This is what I love about Bowsite. Knowledgeable people giving informed advice...thanks. I will be getting together with the farmer in the next few weeks to discuss potential options I may have.

Hunting in SE PA quality and quantity of deer is not the problem. Getting the deer out of the corn during shooting hours is the challenge. My thoughts on the small plot areas on a few of the edges was that it would possibly entice them too visit it more often, hopefully during hunting hours.

I love to hunt and spend alot of time in the woods. The challenge of hunting standing corn is something new to me and I'm just looking for different possible approaches. Feel free to offer any other possible insight/advice to this hunting scenerio. I'm a good listener that appreciates the experiences of others.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Dave

23-Mar-14
Yeah, what Pat said is the big issue. Anything will sap strength from the corn crop IF your crop survives and grows. However, two big things against you, one: naturally the corn will shade and block your crop and two: if he sprays which most commercial operations do, the Roundup or similar product will kill your crop. Also, some farmers spray first, but many will also spray after the crop emerges about 6 inches. Finally, one type of spray stops germination. It goes on right about the time the corn first breaks ground, and then keeps anything else from germinating later.

• Sitka Gear