Toonces 22-Apr-14
bigbuckbob 22-Apr-14
Smoothdraw 22-Apr-14
Ace 22-Apr-14
Toonces 22-Apr-14
Smoothdraw 22-Apr-14
bigbuckbob 22-Apr-14
28-Feb-14
Connecticut CAES Spending $142,000.00 to Kill Deer in Redding, CT.

Redding, CT., White Buffalo, Inc. is currently being paid $142,000.00, over a three year contract for killing (101) deer in Redding, CT under the CDC ITM Tick Study currently being run by the CAES ( Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station ). This is $1,415.00 per deer, to date they have killed ( 51 ) deer and will be paid whether or not they kill any more. After year one of the study it has come to light that White Buffalo, Inc. and the CAES have broken a number of both State and Federal laws in the town of Redding, CT and now the public and State of Connecticut need to hold them accountable for these violations which they have committed under the special permission guidelines granted them by the CT DEEP. Will the CT DEEP press charges for the violations committed or will they give White Buffalo, Inc. a pass as they did in Greenwich, CT because of their 26-7 CT DEEP volunteer status ? This is just the latest in a pattern of CT DEEP bad behavior and disregard for Connecticut law. The state of Connecticut needs to cancel the White Buffalo, Inc. ( no-bid ) contract for years two and three, which would save $83,000.00, do a thorough investigation of these violations *, and the CDC ITM tick study to date. * White Buffalo, Inc. killed ( 16 ) deer at night on Redding, CT town land ( against town policy ) from their motor vehicle located on 154 Sunset Hill Road in February / March of 2013. The ( 16 ) illegally taken deer were then transported by the CAES from CT to NY for processing which is a Federal - " Lacey Act " violation x ( 16 ). White Buffalo, Inc. is a 501 (C) 3, non profit corporation and very well may become non profit if the CT DEEP and the State of Connecticut follow the law !

01-Mar-14
Nearly 2000 per deer? Are you kidding me? What a waste of money

02-Mar-14
You guys have done an amazing job exposing this sham study! Keep up the good work everybody on this forum should support your work thank you Glen and Chris

02-Mar-14
You guys have done an amazing job exposing this sham study! Keep up the good work everybody on this forum should support your work thank you Glen and Chris

07-Mar-14
Great job

07-Mar-14
Great job

08-Mar-14
has anyone reached out to the DEEP commisioners office and the Conservation enforcement Colonel

13-Apr-14
If Hunters don`t step up and stop what`s happening in Redding, CT there won`t be a deer season in Redding or Fairfield County. Whats next for White Buffalo and the DEEP Wildlife Division, Ritchfield, Weston, Westport ? Lets not forget about Sunday hunting which you fought so hard for. Without enough deer there will be no Sunday hunting.

14-Apr-14
i sent the local news editor for the Redding Pilot newspaper an email/commentary today about White Buffalo and the cost involved..Let's see what kind of response i get

14-Apr-14
Don`t hold your breath, they are in favor of White Buffalo and the CDC ITM Study......Their working with Dave Streit !

14-Apr-14
Lymefree...don't be quick to blame the guys on Bowsite. That's naive. There's a difference between sound conservation and eradication of deer in certain areas.

I don't hunt FFLD County, but I feel for all the guys that are seeing the deer population shrink away each year.

14-Apr-14
Lymefree - " Dave Streit " - The residents of Redding are not buying it.......Go back to selling what you do best, the destruction of wildlife and misinformation ! Redding is no longer interested in dealing with you, your agenda, fuzzy math deer counts or grant money !

14-Apr-14
Dave Streit " Lyme Free " The only thing backfiring in Redding is your program to destroy all the wildlife in town ! The public and the State of Connecticut now see you and your " Program " for what it really is, failure !

14-Apr-14
Bill Free, Now Lyme Free, When does Redding become Streit Free? Deer Mr. Free?: The hunters of Redding are less than merry theses days. After 10 years of dedicated volunteer service in Redding the hunters were thrown to the curb even though their efforts managed to reduce the herd quite effectively. Safely, discreetly and without a paycheck. Ethical hunters are not driven by “blood lust” but an understanding of the responsibility we have to manage wildlife, not destroy it. Selectively harvesting is management, indiscriminate killing is nothing but careless destruction. Look out Weston, Wilton, Newtown and surrounding towns, Streit and his Buffalo ran out of deer in Redding and there coming to your town next.

15-Apr-14
New Deer Warden " Dave Streit " Looks like you are now dictating who, what, when and why things will happen in Redding ? The people are not buying it !

15-Apr-14
Dave Streit aka"Lymefree" is now trying to settle the score from years back when the Wardens in Redding would not let him play with them. He doesn't play by the rules. He has been pushing the "kill all the deer" idea since '06. Its like "scared streit" in Redding. He goes around telling people that they and their kids are going to be crippled by Lyme if they don't let hunters on their property to kill all the deer. Heard he killed thirty just last season and not a one in Redding. Go figure, he says there are still too many deer.

15-Apr-14
Dave Streit you are the blood sucking tick! Don't you realize that even if you reduced the number of deer in any area you are not going to reduce the number of ticks. Hey my dog and cat bring ticks in the house should we start offing all of these too?????

15-Apr-14
Children stuck in their houses playing their iPad because their parents won't let them out, come on now Dave. Ticks are here to stay with many carriers. maybe they need more education to prevent exposure such as the excellent sprays on the market, yard treatment and routine checks of children that are brave enough to drop their electronics (yea right) and venture outside into the great outdoors.

15-Apr-14
Lymefree; it sounds like you have a self serving and selfish agenda.. Ticks are all over in New England not just Redding. Slaughtering deer will only cause the Ticks to find other mammals to thrive on such as cats, dogs, mice, horses, squirrels raccoons, snakes, birds, turkeys, gophers etc.. Did you know that? In fact, we are probably better off with the deer carrying the Ticks in my opinion.

Once the White Buffao massacre is concuded, our deer in Redding will make a comeback; and with a vengence as Redding has good topography and cover that White tails can mulitply safely....The White Buffalo program will be a bad memory in a few years and a waste of good funds that the Town of Redding was forced to use because of your own personal agenda

15-Apr-14
Lymefree needs to be tar and feathered the old fashion way

16-Apr-14
I love how Lymefree is playing the kid card first off learn about lyme disease and the other illnesses that ticks may carry most have to be attached for an extended period of time for such illnesses to be transmitted. Secondly if these kids parents were so worried about them they would notice the first signs of the illness and get their child the medical attention they needed.

17-Apr-14
lymefree,

I think your welcome has expired. Why don't you go back and crawl under whatever rock you came from.

We have a great buch of people here and even if we don't see eye to eye on everything, nobody has the disruptive behavior you have.

I will repectfully ask you to getta fuck out. Nobody likes you.

Let's keep this place Slymefree.

17-Apr-14
Dave, calling hunters self-focused in this case is the pot calling the kettle black. Lets face it, ticks are here to stay no matter what is done with one host/carrier. There are many carriers and hosts out in the environment. Unfortunately, we at times are one of them. We all know what Lyme disease is all about and I personally dont wish it upon anyone, especially children. However, that is no excuse for what is being done in Redding. I personally believe that awareness and education on this subject go a long way. Many residents of Fairfield County are out of touch with their surroundings. I know people that just walk through grassy/wooded areas that never even think about checking for ticks, or not treating clothing prior to entering these areas. These are the same people that have had Lyme disease more than once. Why not have these people give up their nice green lawns and landscaping and pave their entire property to keep the deer away instead of trying to decimate the deer population. Or better yet, have them just stop building their 5,000 sq ft homes and displacing the wildlife. You want to live in rural areas then put up with what comes with the territory.

17-Apr-14

17-Apr-14
Deer Dave " Lymefree " Nature needs predators, in most cases, to restore a natural balance - So Dave.... are you the " Predator " ? Dave you need to take a " Time Out ".

17-Apr-14
"CT - I am not here for love. Education, on as good is as challenge.

You guys need to reads the Mumford Cove Research Report. Should win a Noble Price"

Huh? Translation please.

17-Apr-14
It is clear why you are here. Go kill more baby deer and fill your pockets with money.

So let me ask you, This is a bow hunting site; what bow do you shoot?

What arrows do you use?

Do you bait?

Ladder or climber?

How may deer did you get last year?

'Littlegirls.com'? "I will pass that along this morning to the local authorities for their take."

Who is the little girl? you wnet to the wrong site girl.

Stop trolling.

17-Apr-14
Let me ask you a couple more questions and then I'll leave you alone as I hope you leave us all alone.

Do you own white buffalo or are you just the spokesman for them?

Did Tony D liked it when you claimed to be a Spokesman for White Buffalo the TV interview you gave Channel 12 news? I bet he loved it didn't he?

17-Apr-14
Where is V when we need him?

17-Apr-14

CTCrow's embedded Photo
CTCrow's embedded Photo

17-Apr-14
Questions? Does this person dave that you are talking about have an archery permit? Also does he shoot deer with a bow?

17-Apr-14
I don't think so he just gets people spots to kill deer .he has a web site .

17-Apr-14
How many confirmed cases of lyme disease are reported in redding annually?

Sounds like more of a propagated epidemic created to instill paranoia and manipulate the uninformed ignorant potential victims as tools so as to funnel in a taxpayer provided funding stream to those entities who claim to "volunteer" to help save them and of course their children. Pretty slick.

17-Apr-14
The reason I asked that is because when I checked in a deer at the Redding ridge market I saw that name numerous times on the check station paperwork for replacement tags.

17-Apr-14
During the 2013 / 2014 deer season Streit killed ( 30 ) deer in Weston, Wilton, Newtown, Bethel, Fairfield and Ridgefield. With all those deer in Redding one would think, Streit a Redding resident could find at least one deer in Redding. But no, David Streit did not kill ( 1 ) deer in Redding in 2013. Professing to be a hunter, the following ( 113 ) deer kill results are what Streit`s hatred toward deer and " Be Safe Redding . org " add up to. 2009 - ( 9 ) Deer were all killed in the town of Redding, 2010 - ( 26 ) Deer were all killed in the town of Redding, 2011 - ( 24 ) Deer were all killed in the town of Redding, 2012 - ( 24 ) Deer killed in Redding ( 2 ) were killed in Newtown, 2013 - ( 30 ) Deer were all killed in other town`s of Wilton, Ridgefield, Weston, Bethel, Fairfield and Newtown, Total = ( 113 ) These results show the Redding deer population down and David Streit is no longer hunting in Redding due to the lack of deer. This is what happens when an individual takes advantage of the CT. DEEP replacement tag system without limits. These actions amount to little more than animal cruelty and waste under the premise of hunting. Redding residents need to " be safe " and expose their number 1 deer problem, " David Streit ".

17-Apr-14
I have 3 properties to hunt in redding. There was only a half dozen deer around the neighborhood when the cameras were out. I had the same few on camera. So no way is there the numbers claimed by deep.

18-Apr-14
Maybe they should of spent that 900,000 for tick education !Or just education !

18-Apr-14
Westport, CT has seen a dramatic decline with (57) Lyme Disease cases in 2005 to only (6) cases in 2012. Westport has a stabile deer population of approximate 600 deer per a recent Forward Looking Infrared Radar (FLIR) aerial survey conducted in 2012, and the town does not allow hunting. Westport has used non-lethal solutions to combat Lyme and it looks to be working. Redding, CT on the other hand, has used a “destroy all deer” mentality to try to eradicate Lyme Disease with little success. Redding`s Lyme cases in 2005 were (18) and in 2012 (10) cases. Conservationists believe that deer play an important part in our ecosystem and are only one part of the dozens of wildlife, animals and birds that frequent both Westport and Redding. From 2009 to 2013 the number of deer in Redding has been reduced by 60%. There is no significant correlation between removing deer and the lowering of Lyme Disease. All data was provided by both the CT DEEP and CT Department of Health. Westport and other Fairfield County town`s chose to educate their residents with the facts about Lyme disease and promoted living with nature not controlling it. Redding town leaders have taken a different path with misinformation, fear, and destruction of their wildlife, under the premise of public safety backed by greed.

18-Apr-14
Hey Slyme,

you didn't answer my questions yet.

Do you own white buffalo or are you just the spokesman for them?

Did Tony D liked it when you claimed to be a Spokesman for White Buffalo the TV interview you gave Channel 12 news? I bet he loved it didn't he?

18-Apr-14
I am glad I do not hunt Redding and I am not responsible for all the people getting the tick born illnesses because I did not shoot enough does.....

it is the hunters fault who volunteer their time that the deer per square mile are too high??????

how about hunter access, no hunting on sundays ..etc etc etc etc

I think you fell on your head

18-Apr-14
7 confirmed cases of lyme disease in Redding in 2012, yes thats right seven confirmed cases. We really have a big problem there, all the deer must be killed immediately. First the people in Redding need to be brainwashed into compliance by heartbreaking stories told by a smooth talking forked tongue tool about a handful of unfortunate people he managed to dredge up who have been terribly affected by the disease. This bleeding heart money grubbing tool who claims to be a "volunteer" can save everyone while at the same time manipulating a portion of the funding stream into his own pockets taken from the pockets of CT taxpayers. It is worth every penny if only we can see that number drop to six or even five cases per year. My hero. You should get an award.

18-Apr-14
We only will have to deal with the White Buffalo massacre for 1 more year in 2015( assuming the Ct DEEP doesn't cancel the program for all the illegal kills ) Tick Bites are very common in CT but damaging Lyme Disease is very rare. The Town of Redding should be concerned with other more important issues in Town like- damgerous roads- more people are hurt and die on our roads than any stupid little tick bite.

18-Apr-14
Funny there hasn't been a single coherent attempt to challenge the science behind the impact of high deer densities or the correlation between high deer densities/ticks/tick diseases.

Well, since you asked....

http://envs.ucsc.edu/news-events/archives/levi-nytimes-june2012.html

And an article that fleshes out the study in good detail:

http://www.caryinstitute.org/newsroom/study-questions-link-between-increases-lyme-disease-and-deer

I am by training, a clinical microbiologist so I do have somewhat of a working knowledge of vector-borne diseases. These types of diseases all have a preferred reservoir (host) that functions as the primary vehicle in the spread of the disease.

In the case of Lyme it is not the whitetail deer but the white-footed mouse. Other species of small rodents can also function in this capacity.

Lyme disease is most frequently transmitted by the bite of the nymph or larval stage of the tick, stages carried by the primary reservoir(s).

Lyme disease was first diagnosed in 1975 in CT; certainly at a time when deer densities were significantly lower than they are at present.

This is not meant as a dismissal of the role that deer play; they do serve as a secondary reservoir and carry adult ticks that mate and breed. Absent control of the primary reservoir there would be a stronger case for correlation of deer densities to lyme disease outbreaks.

The referenced study though does point to the more logical correlation between natural control of the primary reservoir and incidence of tick-borne disease.

18-Apr-14
DEEP has no balls for allowing this White Buffalo shit...

19-Apr-14
Mie

thanks for the response. It's nice to see the facts and move away from the emotion of this topic.

19-Apr-14
lymefree have you ever had lyme or any of the related diseases that ticks carry. If at the first signs of any of them and treatment it given by a competent doctor they can be controlled. I ask you have you ever spoken to any of these people that you speak of because I have. I seen people lose bowl control along with most other symptoms you listed and they all said they had symptoms for an extended period of time some times years with out getting checked out. I can tell you when I had my reaction to a tick illness (still unknown what it actually was) my eyesight started to go to the point where I could not read street signs without squinting and I could no longer ride my bike more than 2 or 3 miles due to being completely exhausted. But after taking mediation and after a couple months my eyesight was back to normal and I could exercise regularly again. So to come on here call names and say we are in this for ourselves is completely arrogant and like numerous other people have said if you have nothing to add to this forum then kindly see yourself out.

19-Apr-14
I can speak for most people and say if there was a cure or preventive method for illnesses carried by ticks that was within reason you would have more people helping pushing your agenda but to single out deer is extremely blindfolded to the bigger picture. Explain how people who live in cities get bit by ticks and contact these diseases when they have never been in the woods or where deer live. If you completely get rid of all deer ticks will still be around and people will still be getting these diseases. OPEN YOUR EYES

20-Apr-14
LYME I have a question for you if you have taken 30 deer in Fairfield Co you must if been in the woods a lot, what is your secret for not getting lyme???? Why don't you push for the same instead of killing every deer it works for you .Steve

20-Apr-14
Address the science rather than emotion? What about the children? Ever met a person who lost his eyesight, or a person with a heart condition, or a kid that had to drop out of college, or a big trading loss blamed on lyme disease. Brings tears to the eyes doesn't it!

You are a complete tool and anyone with two marbles rolling around in their head knows it!

Best of luck to you on your fishing exhibition here to learn how to respond to any reasonable argument against your pathetic attempt to persuade people to submit to letting your employees access property to illegally slaughter deer with the best of intentions while taking the money right out of their pockets to do it without them even knowing it.

20-Apr-14
So Lyme, what you ultimately asking....do you want bowhunters to kill more deer, kill less deer, agree with your method of deer slaughter...what's the deal? Because, honestly, I don't know what your purpose is on this site other than to throw a bunch of obscure studies that aren't helping me.

20-Apr-14
So deer numbers that low will save everyone from the dreaded tick borne diseases AND be good for hunters, the economy and the state? Too many variables....

Deer numbers have been falling from a population high since 2003/2004. As conservationists, we do our job...and are apparently getting better at it...when one looks at bowkill harvest reports in the state. Although, many of these kills are from a select few who kill many more deer than they need to, in my opinion. Should deer numbers ever fall to the level you wish, there would be obvious repercussions you probably can't fathom beyond today.

21-Apr-14
Dave, Open your eyes ...The deer population in Redding is already at 10-12 dpsm. Trying to sell your misinformation on this site is not going to work for you. This group is in the woods thousands of hours a year and they know what they are talking about and what they see. Go back to leading the less knowledgeable on your path of wildlife destruction. The sportsmen on this site and throughout Connecticut will do everything we can to preserve whitetail deer in Connecticut, not destroy them.

21-Apr-14
Hunting is better at 10 to 12 deer per square mile...dave.....much better....more bucks cruising and compete for does....not one hunter is agaisnt that....

if you need an accurate study to get what the number is...not this guess work being done

21-Apr-14
Tell me were them spots are I will go and knock on some doors .I have hunted all over redding since 1977 there is nothing like it use to be and in the past 5 years even less ,thats with my own eyes ,

22-Apr-14
You are right Dave, The two CT DEEP employees told Scot Williams to write that there are 30-33 dpsm in Redding, CT. What they actually saw was far less. What they saw on 2/11/14 averaged 42 deer over the 4+ square miles observed or 10.5 dpsm. If you would like to use the DEEP correction factor of .8 this = 13.125 dpsm. Or my favorite the DEEP 2X factor = 26.25 dpsm. I am sure the 2 legitimate helicopter observers can explain it to you; or you could just ask the other 2 people onboard the two flights DEEP made that day.

22-Apr-14
Its unfortunate that hunting has been reduced to a how many deer are there per square mile numbers game by both sides.

The value of hunting has nothing to do with wildlife management.

Hopefully the neutered Sunday Hunting bill and conversations like this one will make hunters realize that, even if its too late to reverse the trend.

22-Apr-14
Toonces,

I assume you mean the value of hunting to YOU has nothing to do with wildlife management, correct? Because ever since hunting became a regulated sport the bag limits have always be used to increase or decrease animal populations, wouldn't you agree? I'm not saying it's right, but it's one of things hunting is used for.

22-Apr-14
The problem is with hunting being "used" for anything.

The bigger problem is with hunters promoting hunting as something that ought to be "used".

We are seeing what happens when the value of hunting is reduced to a tool to be used by the government, insurance companies or by folks scared of ticks.

It diminishes all of us. Just my opinion though.

22-Apr-14
Toonces

I see your point, but I also would point out that I don't think the hunting community started down the path of saying "Hunting is a game management tool." I think that's what everyone else was stating; and the hunters tried to use this logic to get our ideas across.

Either way, the cat is out of bag and it will be nearly impossible to turn back time to get back in. People are using "SCIENCE" to explain everything from global warming to creationism,....so why not hunting?

22-Apr-14
Your not talking about using Science to explain hunting, your talking about using Science to justify hunting.

Big difference.

For whatever reason we allowed the opposition to get a foothold with the argument that Hunting is bad and shouldn't be allowed without justification. By providing justification we give some validity to the hunting is bad without justification argument.

I am not sure why we went down that road to begin with.

22-Apr-14
Toonces,

I agree 100%. However it's difficult to make non-hunters see value in hunting based upon our love for the sport (don't yell at me for calling it that) so I think we look for terms and methods to defend or justify, like tick control, lyme disease, etc.

22-Apr-14
We shouldn't have to justify hunting to anyone...it's our passion. Hunters have used the "management" approach to gain access to properties. I don't think we view ourselves as wildlife managers. We're hunters and proud of it! DEEP is stuck in the middle of all this. How does DEEP manage the deer population? Do they manage it for hunters or the public's concerns / environment? Both???? Not sure you can manage the population for both. We need DEEP on our side. White Buffalo must go!!!

22-Apr-14
Do you guys think for one minute that if there was not a surplus of a particular species that we'd be hunting them?

Hunting exists and remains legal ONLY because Wildlife Biologists justify the killing of a certain number of animals as necessary (or not detrimental) to keep the population within the Biological Carrying Capacity.

The public and the State folks who govern these things in CT don't give a damn that it's natural or a part of us, or that it's healthy. At best, the tradition, or feeding our families is a bonus.

Like it or not we're considered a tool. Some people on this site are bigger tools than others. :-)

22-Apr-14
Ace,

If your fine with hunters and hunting being considered nothing more than tools, that is your perogative.

I am not and will never be.

22-Apr-14
If there was ever a shortage of deer do you think DEEP would stock deer like they do for trout and pheasant? That would be awesome! Imagine that...sitting around waiting for the stocking truck to come. They open up the hatch and a dozen deer come bouncing out. They'd probably put out mostly does and a couple nice size breeders.

22-Apr-14
Toonces,

please don't confuse how we view our sport with how others view it. As a logical person I recognize that others see hunters differently than we view ourselves. As a hunter, I hunt because I love the outdoors, and as I said before I don't need to kill an animal to have a good time, but I have and I will.

I don't think you have an argument from most people on this site with your comments that we hunt because we love everything about it, but if you don't consider how others view it, you may do things that could hurt our image and maybe even cause us to lose our sport.

Some private landowners don't allow hunting because they view hunters as blood thirsty drunks looking to shoot anything that moves. And hanging a dead deer from the roof of your pickup as you stop for coffee turns off people who are on the fence about hunting against us and solidifies the view of others that think we like to show bloody dead animals as some kind of badge of courage.

My point is,...if we don't view hunting in it's entirety, we will miss some key points that make it better for us in the long run. I share your view of why I hunt, but not everyone does.

• Sitka Gear