krazybkid 01-Mar-14
Treerat 01-Mar-14
daleheth 02-Mar-14
Ben Farmer 05-Mar-14
lazer2 08-Mar-14
Dennis Razza 13-Mar-14
BOWJO 13-Mar-14
01-Mar-14
Took the dogs out this morning for sheds. Only found 2 small 4 pt sides. I've seen a few bucks with full and half racks yet but most should be off by now. Its hard in this snow, and more to come apparently. I'm just hoping the squirrels don't get to them before I do after the snow leaves. Anyone else having any luck?

01-Mar-14
Actually, I hope the squirrels do get the 'sheds' - they probably need them more than we do.

01-Mar-14
Krazybkid, I have not been out shed hunting yet, I like to wait till around March 20th to look because I always get pictures of bucks carring their antlers till then. Most bucks are shed by March 25th in the areas I hunt. I do not like bothering the deer much in the beginning of March because over the years trail camera pictures tell me most shed the first three weeks of March, want to keep them undesturbed so they shed in bedding & feeding areas that I traditionally find them in.

Roger don't worry I'm sure them squirrels have plenty of food hidden away, they will be just fine.

Every time we have a bad winter everyone panics and thinks that the wildlife are all going to die off. The weak will die the strong will live natures way. And when a weak critter dies from severe weather a yote or fox or crow benifets so there is that.

Mike

01-Mar-14
Actually, potential starvation wasn't my point. Oh well.

01-Mar-14
Actually, thought you were talking about mineral content of the antler, Oh well...I'm sure Jeff will understand what you ment ; )

01-Mar-14
It seems the bucks are shedding later and later every year. I thought maybe this year with the harsher weather they may shed earlier but they seem to be on their normal schedule. The dogs and I always start the first weekend in march. I'm not too worried about pushing deer off the property, they are used to people and disturbance. I think I just had higher hopes for the first day. The last week of the late season I saw a parade of 15 buck together which means lots of bone should be laying around.

01-Mar-14
Krazydkid, checked some trail cameras in Ohio the other day and there was a group of bucks I have pictures of in late Feburary that about half the bucks are still carring their antlers the rest shed already, some of the pictures I got in January showed bucks that had already lost one side.

I guess you can find them anytime from the beginning of Feburary on but there are few people searching for sheds on most of the properties I hunt so I just like to wait till I am confident most bucks have shed.

Sounds like you should be into them soon enough and it's great exercise walking in this snow.

Good luck Mike

02-Mar-14
Buck got hit by bus by my house yesterday. It still had 1 side, until cops cut it off.

05-Mar-14
I havent been out looking yet either, probably wait another week or two. I was still getting pictures of bucks with both sides still on a couple weeks ago. Last year i got a picture of a buck still carrying both sides on March 29th.

08-Mar-14
I know how you feel stick n string

13-Mar-14
I usually don't look until late March early April but my cameras are telling me to go early this year. I found 6 so far. I hope to get this weekend again. Good luck!

13-Mar-14
I'll start in about a week. I would love to find the sheds of the buck I chased all season long. A real Pa. bruiser with split G2's about a foot long. Layed eyes on him once during the rut at about 80 yards and once after Christmas with a large group of does.

• Sitka Gear