mixed bag 13-May-14
Rut Nut 28-May-14
mixed bag 28-May-14
Rut Nut 28-May-14
Phil Magistro 28-May-14
Bogey 28-May-14
Rut Nut 31-May-14
04-Mar-14
Which would be better for a Spring Gobbler/trout fishing outting?

Thinking of taking a 4 day trip the first week of the season(Turkey), probably Wed-Sun. Could be a backpack trip, or maybe just drive in and camp, if there is a good spot to do that in away from the crowds.

Couple years ago did part of the BFT(by backpack) right outside of Slate Run, but it was very steep until we got up to the top where we camped, but too high for any trout streams and no gobblers in sight(or earshot). If I do go there, will look more to the north where it is supposedly not as steep and more trout streams.

Any info would be appreciated.

04-Mar-14
Susquehannock Trail System, Potter County.

04-Mar-14
The areas all around ole bull state park,just a little north ,are great for turkey and trout.endless gamelands you could go back a lot of the gated roads and camp I use to go there 20 years ago and camped/hunted.always had a good time

04-Mar-14
OK- thanks guys, will check them out.

06-Mar-14
From what i hear Old loggers path is a great trail. It has had allot of overdue maintenance in recent years. Another great trail system,not to far from there, is the loyalsock trail. I hunt parts of the LT often and know for sure turkeys can be found there! Good fishing can be found along the LT as well. PM me if you'd like to know some decent sections of the trail

07-Mar-14
I was contemplating the Loyalsock as well, Bogey. Been to World's end and hiked part of it. But that area looks pretty steep, similar to the section of BFT we hit a couple years ago. Was looking for an area not quite as steep/high. But I'll PM you- maybe there are areas more what I am looking for.

07-Mar-14
Walk up to the headwaters of the Muncy Creek in SGL 13. No crowds and lots of native brookies.

07-Mar-14
Thanks 8pointer. Just checked the Loyalsock SF map, will look for SGL 13.

Bogey, after looking at the topo map, the middle section of the LT looks more rolling and less steep terrain. Will PM you. Thanks.

07-Mar-14
No camping on SGL's tho, unless I'm mistaken.

07-Mar-14
Yeah, I believe that is correct.

24-Mar-14
I am leaning more towards the Old Loggers Path now. Rock Run looks like it could be great for trout fishing and there is plenty of S.F. land surrounding it. Got some of my stuff out this weekend. Going to try to go a lot lighter and simpler than a few years ago. I always take way too much stuff I either don;t need or don't end up using. Can;t wait for this weather to break! ;-)

24-Mar-14
I know the food you bring could last a month,lol.Have fun Perry

24-Mar-14
LOL Scott- yeah, less food too! ;-)

24-Mar-14
Hmmmm I'm on vacation that week......~(8o)

25-Mar-14
Dale- that's right up the road from Marsh Hill(where the UBP summer campout is held). I'm hoping to go Wed-Sat. or Thurs-Sun. Talked to hawkeye and he and Dan may meet me up there over the weekend. Let me know if you are interested!

25-Mar-14
I may go on a doe hunt.....lol

If things don't work out with my bro I'll certainly give this some consideration.

25-Mar-14
LOL! OK, sounds good.

11-Apr-14
Anybody interested?

I've been looking at maps, trail desriptions and videos on Youtube. THink I have it narrowed down the the northern section of the Old Loggers Path. THere is supposed to be a nice camping spot where Rock Run and Yellow Dog meet. About 4 miles in from the nearest access. The northern section of the S.F. there looks a lot less steep too.

Now I just have to keep an eye on the forecast. Would like to go the Wed- Sat or sun of the first or second week, depending on weather.

Let me know if anybody is interested. Right now it's just me, at least until the weekend.

11-Apr-14
Justin- I remember those days! ;-) Sorry to hear about the back- hope you heal up soon. Thanks. I'll post some pics when I get back.

12-Apr-14
Man am I jealous Rut! What I wouldn't give...I think my girl would have my head if I went away for 3 days. She's not crazy about me hunting which I don't understand why so I'm trying to ease her into it by going on day trips. I tell her it's better then me going to the bar every night or partying, hopefully she'll come around...

14-Apr-14
Yes- ease her into it, Chris. Wost thing you can do is just say I'm going, see ya in 3 or 4 days!

I've been married 21 years, so now I think she actually looks forward to those 3-4 days when I'm gone! ;-)

08-May-14
Well, this weather is really throwing a monkey wrench into the plans. Tryin' to get dry weather at least 2 of the four days. This week was out and next doesn;t look much better. Can't take off the 3rd week, so I might just take off the last week in May and decide last minute whether that mon-thurs or wed-Sat. will be better weather.

08-May-14
That's too funny.You looking to camp in dry weather.no matter what the weatherman says,it will rain on you

09-May-14
Yeah, kinda funny, right?! Hey, I know it's gonna rain..................just trying to avoid the 4 day torrential tropical soaker! :)

12-May-14
Perry, looks good after Tuesday for the rest of the week.And,IMO, this is the bst week of the .Hope you go but no way will u stay dry,lol.Even if you picked a week with 0% odds of rain

13-May-14
I saw heavy rain for Thurs into Fri. Looks like it will be the last week of the season now. Hey, upside is I can hunt all day if I want to. Will take the bow while I am trout fishing. Then if I hear or see turkeys while fishing, it's game on! And will hopefully be up and away from roads where there will be few other hunters. ;-)

13-May-14
I think just Friday will be a washout.I'm building a house for a weatherman right now and that's insider imfo

28-May-14
Well a few days ago looked like dry weather THurs- Mon. Now they say a little rain fri. and maybe thunderstorms.

But weather be danged!!!!!!!!!!! I'm packed and ready to head out in the wee hours tomorrow am. Plan to leave at 3am and get there at 6. Hike the 4 miles and set up camp. Hunt the rest of the morning. Will stay til late Sat and then head back.

Got all my raingear and will make sure I'm a good ways from the stream! :)

Maybe hawkeye will come visit me fri or sat?! ;-)

Will be on the Old Loggers Path.

28-May-14
Tomorrow should be a great day with highs of only 65.good luck, been a weird turkey season that's for sure

28-May-14
Yeah, temps look great- lows in high 40's and highs in 60's and low 70's. Been saving this tag, but hear it was a weird turkey season. I saw 4 jakes in a field as I rode by on my mountain bike the other night. :)

28-May-14
Good luck Rut!

28-May-14
Hope you have a great trip! Anxious to hear about your hunt and the trail!

31-May-14
Thanks guys- had a GREAT trip! The turkeys and trout gave me the slip, but still had a fantastic time!

I got there about 6am on Thurs. and did alot of "run and bow" checking different areas out. Was a constant mist all morning and sometime in the afternoon it started to clear up. Ran into a doe and got between her and a fawn. Could not see it, but it bleated for it's momma for several minutes. The doe kept snorting at me and eventually circled around and got back to it's fawn. Never did see it, but it stopped bleating when momma got back to it.

I hiked down to the campsite which was about a mile and ahalf from the S.F. road. The path followed one of the tributaries down to where it met Rock Run. Was a beautiful spot where the trib cascaded down a 10 ft waterfall into a deep pool. There was a great fire ring with seats made out of the flat rocks surrounding it. The seats had backs with flat rocks wedged vertically so you could lean back for support. Got there in time to set up camp, make dinner and start a nice fire. Was a long day, so let the fire burn out by 10 and hit the sack.

Fri the weather was perfect- sunny with some clouds and 70's.

• Sitka Gear