Ranger 19-Mar-14
UtahMan 20-Mar-14
BULELK1 21-Mar-14
UtahMan 24-Mar-14
0hndycp 09-May-14
sticksender 16-May-14
MuleyFever 25-May-14
15-Mar-14
First off, I'm new to both bowsite and bow hunting. Lived in Utah all my life, hunted all my life, just switching to bow hunting (more of a challenge). I am in a bit of a predicament. I have 5 bonus points built up for moose, however moose has the worst odds for any of the OIL hunts. Any suggestions on what I should do? Switch to a different hunt? Stick with the moose? I already know it will be a decade before my odds get better on anything. I'm only 23 so it's not a big deal to me. Let me know!

15-Mar-14
When it comes to OIL tags I don't know why one would ask which is better. To me the OIL animals are dream hunts. Which one do you most want at your feet some day? Unless your rich that is.

17-Mar-14
I'm more looking at draw odds vs success rates. I agree, they're all dream hunts, and I'd love to have any of them. I'm far from rich, so it's the draw for me. Any idea which would give the best success rate, and not waiting half my life?

17-Mar-14
I have never looked at the draw odds of all the species. I want a goat someday so that is where I put in.

17-Mar-14
Yeah they are all pretty much what you prefer. It is a bit deceiving, as almost all OIL hunts are close to 100% success rate. But, when you draw OIL, you go all in! I'd be curious to see how many people settle for a smaller animal just to make sure they get one. Where are you putting in for goat?

17-Mar-14
This year I put in for one of the northern units. I cant remember which I ended up going with. I had been putting in for Beaver.

17-Mar-14
I'd love to go for goat, but I've already got 5 bonus points for moose, so I'd hate to give up on that. Props to you, a goat with a bow would be TOUGH. My uncle has guided one goat hunt, and he said it was downright brutal. Fell off a 200' cliff, broke off a horn (got it reattached), and he had to pack the guys gear and the goat out. Certainly one to remember tho! I hope to be able to hunt two OIL hunts, realistically, in my lifetime here in Utah.

17-Mar-14
Moose has worst odds again because of fewest tags. As stated earlier put in for the one you would want to hunt because your going to have to get lucky to draw

17-Mar-14
Yeah, all the odds are awful. Oh well, guess I'll just keep hoping for a miracle! Seems like there is always the story of some guy drawing on his first app... not me tho.

19-Mar-14
OIL tags are special treats for the hunters and especially for us bow hunters since that isn't seasons set aside for our chosen weapon.

I always looked at it with what did I want to hunt with my bow. So I put in for the Moose two years after the new system started so it took me quite some time to get my Moose tag in 2008.

Yes there is pressure when you get your OIL because you only get one chance at it not like some other states you can reapply if you don't tag an animal. That pressure help me take a bull with the bow because it was a perfect set up. It wasn't the biggest bull but a nice 39 inch 7X8 that just missed the book due to deducations. If I hadn't put the pressure I would of passed since there was a couple bigger bulls.

Now I put in for the Mountain Goat because that would be a great trophey with the bow and yes the odds were much better and before I'm to old to climb the mountains and pull my bow back. At five points hoping to draw sometime this decade.

Enjoy the journey and the hunts and don't put all that pressure on having to tag out.

20-Mar-14
Thanks ranger! That's what I love about hunting. It's the journey and not the destination that makes the memories. I'd sure love to tag out every time, but some of the most memorable hunts we go home empty handed. Still worth it! I think I'll be taking your same path. My dad has a pile of points for bison and bull elk, so hopefully we can both get there soon.

21-Mar-14
My strongest suggestion to you is to keep 1 species until your draw it.

There are way to many guys/gals with mid range points on multiple species and they will never draw any of them.

Stick with your Moose points.

Do some yearly research for what unit/CWMU to apply for.

Good luck, Robb

24-Mar-14
Good tip Rob, I'll just tough it out. Someday!

09-May-14
You just have to keep putting your name into the draw and cross your fingers because you never know. I'm a non-ressy to Utah and I just started the western state application game last year, as I wasn't able to afford it prior.

I apply for the BIG 3 in every state in which the nonrefundable cost isn't insane as I hunt in many states with over-the-counter permits since I typically have to front the hunting license fee to apply for BIG 3.

I was "that" guy that you hear about drawing a permit on first attempt. I drew a OIL goat permit and was lucky enough to get a Billy with my bow. I don't know the exact odds on my draw but they were astronomical.

On a side note I've applied for the BIG 3 in my home state of MT for the last 18 years with no luck, and have buddies that have drawn multiple sheep, moose, and goat tags before I've drawn even one!!!

So like I said earlier just keep throwing your name in and cross your fingers because you truly never do know what the drawing gods might bless you with!!!

16-May-14
Best advice for drawing Moose.........apply in Idaho!

25-May-14
After not drawing again I will say the best OIL is the one you draw.

• Sitka Gear