Jeff Durnell 12-Apr-14
Rut Nut 14-Apr-14
Jeff Durnell 14-Apr-14
PA_archer1 14-Apr-14
Rut Nut 15-Apr-14
RLong 16-Apr-14
Rut Nut 16-Apr-14
18-Mar-14
by Steve Chapman. Just curious how many have read this book or have heard of it?

18-Mar-14
That I know of, I have all of his books with that title.

18-Mar-14
I have that one -first one I bought - and 4 more of his. Read them all.

18-Mar-14
Perry, I haven't read it yet, but I plan on reading it as soon as it arrives in the mail. I've been searching for a good book, and after reading a few reviews, this seems like it!! Thanks for posting this ! :)

18-Mar-14
I have I had it for quite a few years.

19-Mar-14
I bought it after seeing him at a Sportsmen's Dinner many years ago. Then bought a few of his other books the following year when he was Speaker at our Church Dinner. I never realized how popular the book was- has sold over 400,000 copies.

I think his mix of hunting stories, life lessons and a bit of scripture is perfect. REally makes you think, is very entertaining and he doesn;t "hit you over the head" with the scripture. Think it is very appealing to all Sportsmen.

19-Mar-14
Scripture?... I'm out. Thanks for the heads-up, Rut :^)

19-Mar-14
Perry I'm getting the book from my local Library- Thanks for the heads up!~(8o)

19-Mar-14
Jeff- I believe in full disclosure! ;-)

But seriously, you should check out his books. I honestly think you would like them. I think his writings would be right up your alley, so to speak. Lots of observations and thoughts about the beauty of nature and wildlife. Kind of reminds me of your style.

19-Mar-14
I can appreciate that. Thanks but I'll pass.

19-Mar-14
I got it a few years ago at a Sportsmen's gathering at church. A good read.

20-Mar-14

Rut Nut's Link
Well I see he has a couple new books since I last checked! WITH DAD ON A DEERSTAND and A LOOK AT LIFE FROM THE RIVERBANK. Hope he brings some copies to the Dinner! ;-)

20-Mar-14
Careful now, Justin... even if you had as much insight as you thought you did... would judging folks be within your jurisdiction? :^)

The scripture (and anything associated) doesn't scare me in the least... but I'll study it how, when, and where I want... which I've done for several hours already this week.

20-Mar-14
I was interested. I'm always looking for my next good book. I read a lot. I have an almost uncontollable compulsion for them and was initially intrigued by this one. I guess I could have said absolutely nothing when I realized it wasn't for me, but I was a little disappointed and expressed it... gently, so I thought.

It's like walking on eggshells around here.

A lot of work? Seriously? That's funny.

Sorry for the distraction folks.

Any other good books yinz get ahold of, let us know.

21-Mar-14
My wife bought this book for xmas and I love it.

21-Mar-14
LOL. Well played, Pa. I appreciate your sense of humor.

I would actually read that with an open mind... I too embrace FULL disclosure :^)

21-Mar-14
LOL Josh! :)

Jeff- don't disregard Steve's books just because there are a few scripture references. I really think if you read them with an open mind, you will appreciate his insights. He really is a gifted author, and I truly believe everyone will get a lot out of his books, whether they are Christian or not. In fact I have passed my copy around to a few agnostics who really enjoyed it just for the hunting stories alone.

21-Mar-14
Perry, I may still. I'll take a look. Thanks.

22-Mar-14
Glad to hear it Jeff! Let me know what you think.

31-Mar-14
Just received my copy in the mail on Friday, and I must say, I can't put it down. Im already through half of it, and can't wait to read the rest! I don't consider myself to be very religious, but I do believe. This book is nice, as Perry pointed out, because it isn't overwhelming. Every short story starts out with a verse from the Bible, and ends with a small prayer that relates to the story. Every story that I have read so far, has made me smile, made me laugh, and all have related to me as a hunter, a sportsman, a father, and a son. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good read. (Even you, Jeff!) ;)

31-Mar-14
I still haven't pulled the trigger on that one. I ordered 3 other books about religion(s) though. Zat count? :^)

I'm soon gonna need another bookcase.

Lemme go look for that book you guys are talking about.

31-Mar-14
Ordered....

31-Mar-14
That's awesome, Jeff! You will not be disappointed!! :)

31-Mar-14
Josh- same here- that has happened with every book of his I have read. In fact, I am always a little sad when I get to the end of his books. ;-) I am looking forward to getting his latest 2 books!

Cool Jeff! :)

01-Apr-14
I think I might have lent my copy out. Looked for it the other day and can't find it. Have to get another copy.

12-Apr-14
I got it and began reading it some last week. I'm only a few chapters in as I am SUPER busy right now.

I feel like I have to be really careful with my thoughts and words here :^) I don't want to offend anybody, and we're not supposed to be talking about religious topics on this board anyway. Suffice it to say then that I appreciate the stories and his writing style, but find a few things slightly, unnecessarily offensive in regards to my beliefs, but I understand that's how religious messages often 'work', and this book is being used as a conduit of sorts for that purpose... so, it is what it is. So far, I think he's doing a pretty good job of balancing things though.

At this point I feel like I could just walk away from it, but will go on reading it because I have a feeling there may be interesting stories and life lessons inside that I can associate with while keeping an open mind... and dodging the occasional brimstone hurled in my direction :^)

14-Apr-14
Jeff- glad to hear you are getting something out of this book and are keeping an open mind. I never thought of any of his writings what I would consider "brimstone". More like tiny pebbles softly tossed into a still pond, making little ripples! ;-)

I picked up one of his devotionals and his book on balancing hobbies with marriage/family. I have been known to go a little overboard in that regard int he past, so hopefully it will help keep me "ballanced". :)

14-Apr-14
Rut, ya, no tsunami or anything, but I guess it depends on the view from where we stand :^)

I hear ya, I've gone overboard with hobbies, other priority shifts and the like too and then found my center again.

14-Apr-14
Hey Rut that book you mentioned about balancing hobbies and family, do you know what it's called? Sounds interesting.

I did grow up catholic, school from 1st to 12th catholic. Church on the holidays, not every weekend but did go a bit. My kids are being raised catholic also. I would actually like to get to church every weekend with the kids, but not just for them for myself too.

I was never a book reader, more of a go out and have fun play sports, hang with friends/girlfriends, ect...Also have been told I have ADHD, never was into taking meds daily though so I learned to deal with it my own way. It's a big reason I got into gunsmithing, that and to really understand how my firearms worked and gain the knowledge of them. Same with my motorcycle too, I like to do ALL my own work unless I absolutely can't. Thinking I'd like to do the same with the bow as well. But reading just sounds enjoyable and peaceful.

15-Apr-14

Rut Nut's Link
Chris here is a link to the book:

16-Apr-14

RLong's Link
Here's another book you may enjoy....just sayin'. :)

16-Apr-14
Hey, I know (of) that guy! ;-)

That looks like a good one, Ralph- will have to get that one next.

• Sitka Gear