gobbler 04-Apr-14
JayD 04-Apr-14
drop tine 04-Apr-14
WVM&M 04-Apr-14
sundaynwv 04-Apr-14
JayD 04-Apr-14
JDW 05-Apr-14
24-Mar-14
I am sure this will create a debate and lets go to it... I do not get the one buck and your done deal. I have ask the question many times and not one person has ever even attempted to answer it so here it goes again:

If one and you're done grows all of these big bucks - then why did it take Pennsylvania establishing the antler restrictions before they started seeing bigger bucks? Because they have been one and done for as long as I can remember. Before antler restrictions went into effect I would almost bet the average size of their bucks was smaller than WV. I know - next someone will say Ohio or Iowa or whatever state but I think it is agriculture there to be quite honest with you.

Plus, if we really want to limit the buck kill then why not start with the non-resident hunter? Really are non- residents coming here to kill bucks or to kill deer for the freezer and the opportunity to hunt more? Put a one buck limit on non-residents first and allow them to kill multiple does if necessary.

I appreciated when the WVBA stepped up to the plate and fought for us to get extra tags. I would even be ok with "two and your thru" but really do we need to go one and your done? I don't think so - I think limiting non- residents buck tags and stop having antlerless seasons late in the season when quite a few button bucks and bucks that have already lost their head gear are harvested would help tremendously. I also think some antler restrictions would help in the long run more than a one and your done limit.

Another thing - how will "one and your done" effect the economy? Will the hunter that kills his buck early in the season go out and hunt does or will he hunt a neighboring state instead?

I know there are quite a few of you who like the one and your done idea but is there not a better solution for bigger bucks?

24-Mar-14
Jay, I'm not sure its even worth debating. The Natural Resources Commission doesn't have any plans to implement such a change, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over this.

24-Mar-14
I agree with Lil Bear. It will never ever happen .

24-Mar-14
And they will not limit nonresidents. they need their money

24-Mar-14
The one and done would effect the economy which is why it won't happen

24-Mar-14
I know there a few of us that want to see bigger bucks but reducing the buck kill would help grow bigger bucks even if it is by antler restrictions. How about making the second buck be 8 point or better? That won't happen either.

24-Mar-14
It is sort of sad that a lot of us feel anymore that we are wasting time exploring ways to improving or fix problem because we don't think anything can or will be done. It is just the world we live in now.

I would like to think that maybe with the push from hunters and hunting organizations that just maybe we could make the difference in getting a better deer management plan implemented.

But I see where you all are coming from but it doesn't hurt to do some wishing or dreaming either! LOL

24-Mar-14
You are right but unfortunately our state is managed for numbers not quality. Just the way it is. I am one of a few that would like to see bigger bucks and am willing to keep from killing them or going to antler restrictions. A lot of hunters will tell you they want bigger deer but are against reducing numbers killed or antler size. Truth is they will shoot the first buck that comes by. Just the way it is. I am too old to worry about it.

24-Mar-14
You are right but unfortunately our state is managed for numbers not quality. Just the way it is. I am one of a few that would like to see bigger bucks and am willing to keep from killing them or going to antler restrictions. A lot of hunters will tell you they want bigger deer but are against reducing numbers killed or antler size. Truth is they will shoot the first buck that comes by. Just the way it is. I am too old to worry about it.

24-Mar-14
We don't have a problem that needs fixing other than a exploited buck to doe ratio, or excess deer in certain areas. Some of that has been addressed and is working. Some of it was caused by hunters killing excessive numbers of bucks versus does for years, and years. It took years to get it outta whack, it isn't going to change overnight.

Bottom line is we have the largest bow only area in the lower 48 to grow those deer. We have big deer elsewhere, many more than most realize or care to admit. And regardless of what is implied, you will never convince me the average hunter is filling his 3 buck quota. Some people just want to impose a rule that would help them meet their goals versus implementing the resources to reach it themselves. It is cheaper for them that way.

If you owned 200 acres, would it be easier and cheaper to restrict you neighbor of killing 2 bucks that may frequent both properties or be forced to buy enough land to do it on you own property? It really is all about priorities. Isn't that was is said by those same people when lease rates, licences fees, or anything involving increases in out of pocket expense's for the average hunter is brought up? Yet if a few less hunting trips were taken by those guys, it seems to me they could afford the right piece of property to do their thing on versus insisting everyone change to benefit them.

I am not judging anyone, or implying their choices are wrong. I'm just tired of it being pointed out that sacrifices needs to be made by the majority to fit their agenda. It goes both ways. And since the only true problem we have hurting the number of big bucks in this state is poaching, it is an obvious black and white situation in my opinion. God Bless

24-Mar-14
I disagree WV...I know lots of hunters that kill their 3 buck quota....and would kill more if they could.

Like or not, as long as we have the 3 buck limit, our buck age structure will not change. But, i think thats exactly what the majority of hunters in this state want.

They want quanity over quality,,,Heck, i bet you would have an easier time getting a 4th buck limit versus a 2 or 1.

The state also can not see past its face. All they see is $$$ form extra tags and the insurnace companies-farmers wanting every deer killed.

Myself, i think 1 and done would be awesome, but i am in the minority and will continue to go out of state to hunt big deer...Like 3 of our bordring states(KY-OH-PA). That should show you that limits on bucks and/or restrictions work for producing big rached, older age deer.

24-Mar-14
Again - I will ask if 1 and done is so great - why did it not work in PA? PA had 1 and done for years but their buck were small maybe smaller than the average WV buck. PA did not start seeing bigger bucks until they put antler restrictions in the regulation.

Once again I have a hard time believing all the PA or any other non-resident hunters come here to hunt 3 bucks. I think they come here to fill their freezers and have more hunting time. So if non-residents were limited to 1 buck but multiple does would there be revenue losses? I don't think so...JMO

So now if we put a statewide 1 and you're done limit in would it effect the state's economy because resident hunters would go to other states to hunt an additional buck instead of staying in WV and hunt does - I think it would hurt! LOL I guarantee you that corn sales would go down! LOL

24-Mar-14
You are not the minority .

24-Mar-14
Big-Otis, you contradict yourself in your posts. You get on the DNR for not decreasing limits, then state they are bowing down to corporate pressure by killing all the deer. Which is it?

Perhaps if you prioritize the importance of antlers so much, take two seasons of hunting trip fee's, put it on a down payment of your own land, and manage it for antlers above what the state does. If you look hard enough, you'll find a parcel that will have a timber value to all but pay it off.

Not trying to tell you what to do anymore than you are trying to determine my hunting as well. Be honest, how many legal hunters you know, percentage wise, are killing their 3 limit of bucks? I've lived all over this state and have never known a legal hunter anywhere to do it. Most shoot the heck out of does, and choose their buck/buck's. If you work for a living it just doesn't leave much time to kill all those deer.

Jay D, PA's antler restriction only worked because they declared war on the female deer population, the hunters participated, and the sate started rotating it's timber. All of it worked together to get it done. Sure enough, if WV would do it, it would certainly increase the horn size of the average deer harvested because we have a very active timber industry creating perfect deer habitat and we have been shooting the heck out of the does. However, even after 15 years of intense doe harvest, we still have too many deer in certain areas, and will until the habitat changes. I've said it since joining here, culling deer herds in prime habitat is a full time job. A year or two of bad weather keeping hunters out of the woods or mild winters with good mast, you have lost a lot of what you've gained.

Currently the reasons the dnr hasn't buckled to the ever pressing demand for less buck harvest's are many, and finances are not the biggest culprit most try to make it out to be. If they do so, they'll simply raise the cost of the tag fellas. It isn't rocket science and government has no intention of operating on a smaller budget. Regardless of your desire's, there is sustainability in this herd and this management plan. God Bless

24-Mar-14
As far as PA, do address your question. I think the numbers of hunters has some to do with it. We. Have about 300,000 rifle hunters. I don't know for sure but I think PA is well over a million. Lot of pressure on bucks.

24-Mar-14
You've never know a hunter to do it? Ever? Ever? There are several on this site that do it. I know of 10 people right now without even thinking that hard.You either hunt with guys that share in the trophy QDMA managemnt practice or live way out by yourself...LOL

As far as buying my own land, i have considered it...But, unless you can buy a bunch or have neighbors that share your own belief's in QDMA, its not worth the hassle. Neighbors killing everything with horns, trespassers.......I will take my time and money to states that have a better grasp of quality deer management.

And i see no contradiction....just the truth.

Corporate pressure is a leading force in what the DNR does....

24-Mar-14
Your numbers may be right not for sure though - gonna try to do some research but I thought I heard somewhere that when you factor in everything such as deer numbers, acreage and hunters the numbers averaged out about the same for both states but not for sure on that.

I still think we need to look at the big picture -I think "one and you're done" would end up hurting more than helping. I think revenue would suffer and I think the overall population would skyrocket again. But I could be wrong....

24-Mar-14
PA is the leading state in America for deer hunter license sales at one million, three hundred thousand. 1,300.000 . Over 4 times the number we have.

25-Mar-14
I got on one of their sites and thought I saw where it was 750,000 last year - must have read it wrong.

25-Mar-14
Deer season saw 750,000 hunters December 27, 2013 Pennsylvania, Erie Times-News

Don't get me wrong I know that is a lot more hunters than WV but I do believe they have about twice the deer numbers we have too but again not for sure on that...

25-Mar-14
I am not sure about PA before the antler restrictions ,one and done?....I was thinnking they had pretty liberal limits before the AR...

I will have to check it on it...

25-Mar-14
WV Mountainer's opinion is the opinion of most hunters in the state. Nothing wrong with that. In this state most hunters want it the way it is now. I can name 4-5 guys that kill 3 buck every year. In fact they kill two in bow season and then get another one in rifle season. Not that hard to do. I could do it easy in Pendleton county. Not we are talking bucks. Not big bucks but people do it. I see guys kill small bucks just to kill a buck. I kill the deer as they walk in front of me as I am not a trophy hunter here in this state. I just have better odds elsewhere.

25-Mar-14
what big otis said above. If some guys could kill 5 bucks they would and they would let nice does walk by them to kill a spike.

25-Mar-14
all antler restriction do is let the bucks get older . i would think one and done would do the same thing. How would you measure your deer before you killed it? LOL.

25-Mar-14
A better question is how many non residents buy the xtra buck tag? That would tell you their intentions. I know where I hunt in Pendleton county non residents would kill 2 bucks in a heart beat here in WV if given the chance. They don't care about leaving bucks for our residents. And if a number of xtra tags are sold and you cut them out then it would effect the revenue.

25-Mar-14
JayD. your rational is right. Resident hunters would go elswhere to hunt as there would be no extra tag for them to kill that extra 4 point they need. LOL. And that would hurt revenue and is the exact reason it will stay as it is.

25-Mar-14
I guarantee you that Pa as waaay more hunters than WV. The fact that this is such a hot topic speaks volumes for one of the reasons it will never ever change. Most hunters simply want to kill bucks. Period. I sure wouldn't want to try to change the way things are in this state. I just go elswhere. It really isn't fair for a few to put their desires ahead of what the majority of hunters want. Lets face it, if you are a hunter and you don't kill your lil 4 point all your buddies will make fun of you. LOL.

25-Mar-14
I guarantee you that Pa as waaay more hunters than WV. The fact that this is such a hot topic speaks volumes for one of the reasons it will never ever change. Most hunters simply want to kill bucks. Period. I sure wouldn't want to try to change the way things are in this state. I just go elswhere. It really isn't fair for a few to put their desires ahead of what the majority of hunters want. Lets face it, if you are a hunter and you don't kill your lil 4 point all your buddies will make fun of you. LOL.

25-Mar-14
Big Otis - I may be wrong but my brother in law is from PA and his family has owned a farm in PA for years and my Uncle has hunted in PA - for as long as I can remember they always told me it was one and you're done. And from what they told me it was not even a buck it was a deer - so if you killed a doe then your season was finished. Maybe I heard them wrong. Also Big O I like the idea of the bordering counties - great idea!

That is one of the main reason I never felt 1 and done was all that great. Plus, I just see a lot of wives and young children killing a lot more deer if you go to one and done.

JR - I agree if you want to start with Antler restrictions say the second buck has to be 6 or 8 or better or whatever requirements. I still think you reduce Non-residents buck tags to one only. Then let them kill does - again you cannot tell me all these non-residents come to WV to kill 3 bucks - I think they come to fill their freezer and to have more hunting time. I would almost bet the house that the DNR would not see any loss in revenues by doing this.

I would love to see a 2 buck limit for residents and a 1 buck limit for non-residents.

Also don't a lot of those states that have the one buck limit also only allow shotguns and no rifles?

And going to the midwest would probably be a better option but there is something about the 4 WV counties that is intriguing. Not for sure on buy or leasing yet just really putting the iron into the fire right now...LOL

25-Mar-14
How many non-residents buy the extra tag?

25-Mar-14
over the years I have known lots of guys who have limited out on bucks ,, might be dinks but they still kill em,,, pass up does to kill something with horns,,,too many chest beaters in this state

25-Mar-14
http://www.huntingpa.com/Deer%20stats.html

I couldn't get it any other way on my I phone, but this shows the top whitetail hunting license sales states.

25-Mar-14

JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo
I am seeing 750,000 hunters - PA is what about twice the size of WV and probably twice as many deer so on average it's about the same. I am just guessing here - and again they had a one deer and you're done not one buck and their bucks were just as small or smaller than WV . The size of their bucks did not increase until antler restrictions were out In place.

I think reducing the limit of bucks will help some but I don't think 1 and you're done is the answer. Plus there are so many other factors involved - agriculture -shotguns instead of rifles being used in most of the one and done states. Don't get me wrong I don't think we should go over board but seriously is killing 2 bucks a year going over board?

25-Mar-14
I think that PA started hammering their does also which probably had some to do with it also. I don't know what the exact answer is. I think a reasonable thing to do would be to try a 2 buck limit for 5 years then step back to see if it made anything better or not. That's the only way we will know. Them we will have data to sort through to see if there is a change or not. Otherwise, we are all just guessing.

25-Mar-14
Why do you need to kill 2 bucks? Does eat better.

25-Mar-14
PA has been one and done for a long time Big Otis. Long time before the AR's too. Which is why the AR's were implemented instead of a one and done process. Check it, you'll see for yourself. 10 hunters out of all of us here? Once again, give a percentage. I think you'd have to have an idea of the percentage of hunters doing it before you could claim it is the best thing to do. Just my simple way of thinking.

JR, I think you are misunderstanding my point. My point is show me where the biological problem lies. I'm not interested in the type of deer horns you want to kill. I'm interested in making sure we get this right. We have healthy herds that can withstand harsh winters, lots of deer, Lots of quality deer, And he freedom to do it year after year without worrying about drawing tags, or paying intense lease rates.

Before we change buck harvests, shouldn't we consider what the outcomes will be. It is a matter of opinion at this point but, if you look at what has happened every where when Horn management over shadows other management objectives, I think it is more than fair to assume the same thing will happen here. Is that worth trading a healthy herd for? No way in my opinion. This is my point. Not shooting spikes or fork horns every year. God Bless

25-Mar-14
I'm not even sure what you are talking about. But we have hunters that still won't shoot does. I think out goal should be a more balanced herd with a closer buck/doe ratio and a more balanced age structure in the buck herd with bucks from 1 1/2 to 6 1/2 or older in the herd. That's a natural herd. It's hard to out manage Mother Nature.

25-Mar-14
I agree a lot with what everyone is saying - I know PA has more hunter no matter what the numbers are - I just don't think implementing 1 buck and you are done is going to provide the results everyone thinks.

And I am not saying that our DNR is terrible either but I would like to hunt bigger bucks. I get what WVMountie is saying too.

I guess I just know a poor bunch of hunters because I don't know anyone who has killed 3 bucks a year. For myself I normally like to kill a decent buck and then for me to kill a second buck it has to be better than the first. I don't want to kill a buck the first few weeks and then have to shoot does for the rest of the season. And I prefer not to have to go to another state and hunt. Even if I were to kill my first buck the next to the last day of the season - I want a second buck tag so I can have the opportunity to go out the last day of the season for a bigger one. I guess if that makes me a game hog then I am a game hog.

I am not putting anyone down who goes on a guided hunt but that is not for me. I have been on several and just did not have a good time even though I harvest an animal each time. I just felt for me it was like I was shooting something that someone else did all the work for - I want to do the scouting and treestand or blind placement and not count on someone else to do it for me. And again - I don't want anyone getting upset over this - its just me - I am not saying anything bad about you it is just the way it made me feel.

25-Mar-14
What is a nice buck? . If youn want to routinely kille bucks over 140 you need to go out of state in my opinion. Yea you can kill them in the southern part of the state but I don't think the percentages are that high. Besidesvmost hunters cant hunt the southern lart ofthe state because they dont have access. I can kill a 4 point or 6 point and then hold out for something bigger where I hunt but what an I accomplishing? I have no problems shooting does.

25-Mar-14
What is a decent buck? Everyone has their opinion. I can kill nice bucks where I live but chose to go to the mountsin to hunt. Even the nice ones where I live rarely get over 140 inches. Now in Montana and Iowa and northern Idaho that is a whole different story. Again I am ok with the herd being managed for quantity.

25-Mar-14
Gobbler, your well aware of what I'm talking about. You simply do not agree with it. If you have missed it, go back and read the conversation between me and Big Otis. No problems either way, just a major disagreement on where our deer herd is, and where it needs to go. No way are we going to get 6.5 year old deer at a percentage worth mentioning in our buck herd with any antler restriction or buck Quota. I'm positive only the most intensely managed, PRIVATE properties in this country can claim anything that resembles what you are suggesting.

I agree, shooting more does will go a long way towards fixing the problem of too many deer and a skewed ratio in the areas it is a problem. Just not real sure the guys you claim aren't shooting the does are going to suddenly start with a change in buck Quota or an AR implemented.

JR, spend some time on the "Big Buck" state websites and see how many hunters there routinely kill 140 inch deer. It is a case of limited hunter access and a form of AR's and buck quotas that grow those deer. Hunter access being by far the most influential. BTW, there is plenty of access down here if you know where to look. If interested, I'll point you there. God Bless

25-Mar-14
They kill 6 1/2 year old bucks in the bow only counties every year.

But you're right about the rest of the state. But even if we could get a higher percentage of 4 1/2 year old bucks in the states herd it would be nice. They would probably be 120-130 bucks, which is a nice quality buck, plus if people knew they were around they might not be as willing to release or pull the trigger on a small buck.

26-Mar-14
I think this thread just proves what we all are saying....everyone has an opinion on what they want to kill. No right or wrong answer. We are all over the board, from one extreme to the other.

10 years ago i was one of the guys who would kill 3 bucks and all the does i could..Big, small, it didn't matter.

But now after killing many , many deer and then hunting out of state and killing someone's ones(nothing over 140 yet), my desire to kill small bucks or many bucks has decreased.

Deer numbers play into that as well. As a kid we had to hunt in Pendleton county because that area, eastern panhandle, was where the deer were and you killed whatever buck you saw. Now, you can go to any county and see more in a day than we did in a week.

For me, i enjoy watching the deer i pass(and the ones the neighbors dont kill) get bigger. Most of the time i may only see them 2 or 3 times a year in person, but have hundreds of pictures of them. But i also enjoy watching my son and nephews kill their first bucks and does.

Thats why i like the 1 and done. If you want to kill that 3 point , go for it. That leaves the other samll deer to get some age on them..If you want to hold out, you can and know that the age structure benefits from it.

There may not be a right answer, but if you want to killbigger, older bucks, you cant have a 3 buck limit...SHow me a state that produces older age bucks with that kind of limit....I say none

26-Mar-14
How many kill 140 inch deer in Pendleton county with a bow. Case closed.

26-Mar-14
You are right on with the 6.5 year old deer statement. Won't ever ever happen here. (and it doesn't have to). But in other states outfitters and ranch owners do manage their herd and you can routinely see those. I saw 10 on one Montana hunt. Of course it was a huge ranch with no other hunting and no poaching like we have here. I hunted on 1300 acres in Grant county and we managed it for big deer but it was poached so bad through the week when we were not there. It takes a year round effort to produce those bucks and stop the poaching.

26-Mar-14
JR, spend some time on the "Big Buck" state websites and see how many hunters there routinely kill 140 inch deer. It is a case of limited hunter access and a form of AR's and buck quotas that grow those deer. Hunter access being by far the most influential. BTW, there is plenty of access down here if you know where to look. If interested, I'll point you there

I am interested. If I can take a week or two off and have access to a place where I can see those bucks here I am all for it. Hook me up. I will believe it when I see it. I will even pay you a finders fee. :) LOL

26-Mar-14
BTW, I have killed a 120 or inch better on 6 out of 8 trips to the west and midwest in the last 10 years.

26-Mar-14
BTW with the exception of last year when I decided not to kill any bucks on the farm, I have killed a Archery 110-124 buck on my farm for the last 15 years. Plus 90% of the time I'm done by the 4th day of season.

I do that by simply not shooting anything smaller and taking at least 3-4 does per buck. Last year we shot 9 does and no bucks. Most years my wife and I take 2-3 bucks. Starting last year we're going to try a 125 inch minimum. Last year I saw or had photos of about 8 bucks between 110-120. Just have to wait and see if they are still here this year?

26-Mar-14
That is great gobbler. You have worked hard on your farm to make that possible.

27-Mar-14

JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo
JR,

For me the pictures that I am posting show what a decent buck is for me. I probably have about 3 to 4 times more of just the racks that I did not have mounted that are just as nice. Most were killed here in Berkeley or Morgan Counties and a couple from Tucker County from when I hunted around Parsons, WV..

Yes, I shoot does too, and I guess call me a game hog but I want to be able to shoot 2 bucks per season if the right ones come along for me. I don't want to go to the midwest or out west for a 2nd buck when I can hunt some nice ones here in WV. It is great for those who do like to go to those areas and spends thousands - it is just not for me.

Yes I would love to shoot a monster. I think we have the opportunity to do so here in WV but I just don't think going to "one and done" is the answer. I think most of the 1 and done states you have other things that are a bigger reasons for bucks to mature like: 1- only shotguns 2- shorter gun seasons 3- antler restrictions in place 4- limits on non-resident buck tags - just to name a few.

My ideal strategy for WV would be for shorter gun seasons and/or not as many doe seasons (now that you can kill two deer a day), antler restrictions on at least the second buck, 2 buck limit for residents and 1 for nonresidents, some kind of a better check in system and I do feel like with the phone in system or online system - a picture should be required, stiffer fines for the cheaters, and I am gonna come out and say it "a crossbow season" do not include them in bow season.

Expanding on the shorter gun season and antlerless seasons - still issue the same amount of tags and if it looks like enough does are not harvested then bring in a special late season the first week of January or something. Heck maybe even make it that the extra tag can be used for 1 buck or 2 does - hunter's choice.

27-Mar-14

JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo

27-Mar-14

JayD's embedded Photo
JayD's embedded Photo

27-Mar-14
Sorry about the blurry pics but hopefully you get the idea

27-Mar-14
Some nice bucks. Don't worry we will never ever see a one buck limit., you will also never see shorter gun seasons or a reduction in non resident buck tags. You will see an electronic check in and a crossbw season in our bw season.

27-Mar-14
Sad to say I think you are right... really though you are not reducing non-resident tags just the number of bucks they can get with the tags. they can still get how ever many does. I just don't think a non-resident comes to WV to get 3 bucks - I think they come to fill the freezer and have more hunting time.

28-Mar-14
If you don't think that non-residents come to WV to get 3 bucks then how will limiting them to one buck make such a difference? Since you already stated they are not here to kill multiple bucks but to fill the freezer. How many of these nonresidents are originally from WV and are returning to their home state to hunt?

Also, I am in NO way an advocate of shortening seasons.

BTW, Indiana's buck season is 3 weeks in the middle of the rut. Kentucky's is in the peak of the rut with high powered rifles but it is only one week.

28-Mar-14
I always hear about loosing non-resident tag sales, but does anyone know how many people "don't" hunt WV now. I didn't look at this side of the issue until I looked at my bowhunters survey last year. I only bow hunted 2 days in WV last year! Ohio is so close and I regularly pass up bucks over there that are nice shooters here. The nice thing is I can shoot any buck I want and still have the option to shoot does, which I am glad to do.

29-Mar-14
Many residents may not hunt WV, but many,many no-residents come here to kill there quota on does and bucks for the freezer and then back to their home state to trophy hunt.

I would bet more out of staters come here to kill their freezer dder than WV residents go out of state to trophy hunt

30-Mar-14
I kill my does here and go to another state to "trophy" hunt. I figure killing as many does as legally possible here is a good thing.

30-Mar-14
It is a great thing , but in my opinion the buck limit needs to be reduced at the same time.

30-Mar-14
Gobbler - I would agree with you on limits but do we really need to go to a one buck limit or would 2 be good? Do you not think a 2 buck limit for residents and 1 buck for non-residents would help age structure? And again I am trying to look at overall picture - does just placing a 1 buck limit help to get larger bucks or do we need to place antler restrictions also? Just like PA did- because there 1 deer limit did not provide for big bucks.....

I look at PA because I think out of all states they are more comparable to WV and their 1 deer limit did squat. Now when they added in A.R. They started to see improvements.

30-Mar-14
I still want to know how you measure your deer before you kill it.

30-Mar-14
I absoultely 100% think and know that a 1 buck limit with antler restrictions would work best.

Now for the reality. AR is difficult. Either points or width. Without a doubt width is the best. Width determines age better than points. You can have10 pointers that are 12 inches wide and with a point restriction that would be legal, but you would be taking the best genes out of the pool at a very young age. Also you could have a forkhorn that is 18 inches wide that is 4 yrs old and needs to be removed but isn't a legal buck if you had a 3 or 4 point per side rule.

Also while for bowhunters it would probably be less of a problem but for gun hunters how do you measure width on a deer standing 100 yards away broadside, knowing that may be your only chance. I think a lot of dead deer would be left in the woods.

PA hunters had years or decades to deal with a 1 buck limit, but when Gary Alt put antler restrictions into law and hammered the doe population they ran him out of the state on a rail. Only now, what 10 or 12 years later are they killing great bucks and starting to realize that he did something great.

I still think it's going to have to go thru steps to get people to accept it here. I think that if they tried a 1 buck limit and antler restrictions here at the same time people would go nuts. That's why I think a stepwise approach is best. Decrease the limit to 2 for five years on a trial basis to see what happens. I don't think it would make a huge difference , but I do think it would make a difference. Once people start seeing that, then their opinions and views may change.

Antler restrictions are a tough subject , especially when you are trying to get kids involved in hunting, or even girlfriends, wife's, or friends that have never hunted. A word of caution, never take you're wife and girlfriend hunting at the same time, especially when they both have guns. It never turns out good!

31-Mar-14
Agreed Gobbler....Hard to aee a buck at 100 yards in thick stuff to see if he has the right AR points or width.

I also like the step approach...maybe start out at 2 bucks for residents and 1 for non for the first 3-5 years, then go to 1 and done.

31-Mar-14
I still say we are a minority. we may talk about it and know it will work but man if I told a good ole boy from Pendleton county he couldn't kill 3 bucks or that he had to shoot a certain buck he would come unglued.

31-Mar-14
That can happen when you sniff too much glue. It's not pretty when it happens, but it's for the best in the long run.

31-Mar-14
Lol. You are too much. I think imma go down to the local bar in Pendleton county and tell the guys that they can only kill one buck this fall and he has to score 140. that will go over like a turd in a punch bowl

03-Apr-14
You may be right about AR's and one buck may work best but I don't think it would be that much of a higher percentage of the number of big bucks running around if there were AR's and a 2 buck limit for residents and 1 for non-residents. I don't think a few more bucks running around would be worth the decrease in revenue nor the decrease in loss hunting time for those who shoot a buck early. But - again that is JMO - LOL

As to measuring horns - I think limit it to number of points instead of inches - and if someone is shooting bucks at distances too far to tell or in too thick of place - maybe they need to start having a little more patience until they can determine what they are shooting at. Just another reason for me to believe it should be shotguns only instead of rifles.

03-Apr-14
Well there is no way anyone can say for sure if a buck will meet the requirements while hunting. I know what a big buck is but it will be impossible for the run of the mill hunter to say how many inches a buck is. It could be off several inches one way or the other. And if you went by points only you still would kill a lot of young bucks. Most 6-8 points and even some 10 points I see killed in the mountain are really not that wide. We are discussing this but it won't ever ever happen. Fun to discuss but won't happen. You will never ever see shotguns only except for possibly Berkeley and Jefferson count and it be only in certain areas if that ever happens. And you will never see the buck limit for non-residents equal to the buck limit for residents. And getting guys to limit there distance they shoot. LOL. I really don't need to shoot more than one buck. In fact I usually shoot the first deer that is legal when they come by me. I am in the woods from start to finish in Pendleton county with my bow and have never ever seen a 125 deer so waiting for a big buck would be like waiting to retire when I hit the lottery. I like to eat deer and having horns is simply not a big deal to me. You guys are lucky where you hunt they you have all these huge deer and can wait and even kill more than one. I understand it. Now in Iowa and Montana I wait.

03-Apr-14
I am an advocate of if horns TRULY don't matter to you, then you shoot a doe and not the first buck you see. Typically, a mature doe will offer more meat than a spike or 1.5 year old buck.

03-Apr-14
I am an advocate of if horns TRULY don't matter to you, then you shoot a doe and not the first buck you see. Typically, a mature doe will offer more meat than a spike or 1.5 year old buck.

03-Apr-14
Is that a question sunday?

03-Apr-14
Well there is no way anyone can say for sure if a buck will meet the requirements while hunting. I know what a big buck is but it will be impossible for the run of the mill hunter to say how many inches a buck is. It could be off several inches one way or the other.

Babysaph. What is a big buck a spike over 6 inches? Lol

03-Apr-14
In Pendleton county yes.

04-Apr-14
That would be a Booner

04-Apr-14
Two buck limit would be better than now....but one buck limit would have a significant impact to herd immediately....the overall buck kill would be 50% less im guessing. I cant speak for why It wasnt working for PA. One thing i know for sure is if you do what you always did then you get what you always got.

04-Apr-14
I hunt in Indiana and my friend said that the Indiana deer herd had an immediate response when they switched from a two to a one buck limit.

04-Apr-14
Again I think PA compares more to WV than any other state and one and your done did not work there. It was AR's that made the difference. I don't buy the more hunters statement - because PA is about twice the size of WV and I am pretty sure they have more deer. I know some say there are over a millions hunters there - but when I researched it - I found where there were 750,000 PA hunters last year - so that is a little more than twice the hunters in WV.

Again I think one and done would hurt in WV just because of revenue and I think you would have less hunting even for antlerless deer. Again that is just my opinion - I may be wrong and you 1 and done'ners may be right. Whose to say???

Its funny though how opinions are - most of the people who want the "one and your done" program don't want antler restrictions! I just don't understand that but again opinions do vary! And of course - everyone knows my opinion by now - "2 and ur thru" with AR's and "1 and done" for non-residents. I think we all agree that reducing the buck limit to under 3 a year would be great its after that when the math gets a little fuzzy. I just think there are so many other factors that must be added to the equation.

Again it is nice talking about it and unless some kind of unity of hunters and hunting organizations in WV happens and a group effort is made for change then we won't see anything happen. It is ok to have all the opinions but man there is just too much name calling and better than thou attitudes raising their heads up anymore - in all walks of life. I actually enjoy seeing the different opinions and I enjoy debating the differences - I think most of the guys on this site are pretty darn nice and will be the first to help a fellow in need - lets keep it that way and just respect other's opinions even if they are a little silly.

Take care everyone and have a wonderful weekend! The birds have been gobbling and strutting all day long here today - may need to get the camera out tomorrow!

04-Apr-14
I do know that one and done would hurt the state financially which is why it will never ever happen

04-Apr-14
One and done would hurt the state financially which is why it will never be done. I would be all 4 antler restrictions if someone could tell me how hunters can judge a legal from non legal deer. And you don't have to worry because us one and done folks are the minority.

04-Apr-14
Have a no spike antler restriction. Save thousands of bucks a year.

04-Apr-14
I thought about that , but what would happen is the pressure would switch to the 3-6 point class and both are usually 1.5 years old so we would be taking the cream of the crop of 1.5 year old bucks, and leaving the genetically inferior spikes to grow up. I think it might hurt the herd in the long run. Just an opinion.

04-Apr-14
I wanted to clear that up . It may be genetic, or it may be due to inadequate nutrition , poor habitat, overpopulation or when they were born, such as a May birth versus an August birth. Anyway if I had a 1.5 year old buck that I wanted to carry over I would pick a 6 point over a spike. If we had a regulation that banned spikes, there may be fewer 4-6 point 1.5 year old bucks carrying over.

04-Apr-14
LOL I think we put the JR rule in where only wv 11 points are legal like every other year!

04-Apr-14
I've said it before,the "one and done" and antler restrictions will only work in our border states! Drop me off at the border,"Ohio border that is"LOL

04-Apr-14
I would be fine with ARs and 2 & thru. The only issue i have with AR is you target the highest potential 1.5 year olds and protect the lower potential.....but that is only a concern for those who like to hunt large racked mature deer... Of which im one of them

04-Apr-14
One and done would definitely work in WV. No doubt!

One of the best parts about giving people hope of a larger buck is that when they actually feel like they might see a good buck, they will pass up the spikes.

I can't really blame someone for killing a 4 point when the best deer they've ever seen has been a basket 8 points.

04-Apr-14
Sunday - glad that you don't have any doubt about one and your done but I have tons... I think we would have similar results as PA did when it was just one and your done. I think hunters would stop hunting here after getting their 1 buck and go to other states - resulting in less revenue and a deer population that would skyrocket. And then we would see smaller bucks just like they had before implementing AR's.

I think you would see a higher cost in license fees because of the decrease in hunter numbers. But again - I don't think we will see any changing of the limits anytime soon here in WV.

05-Apr-14
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/document/814899/fewer_deer_fewer_hunters_2009_pdf

Link to Pa stats from 1982 to 2008

• Sitka Gear