steve 30-Mar-14
CT bow junkie 30-Mar-14
bigbuckbob 30-Mar-14
CTCrow 31-Mar-14
steve 31-Mar-14
28-Mar-14

Bloodtrail's Link
This was in the Courant recently.

Give us your thoughts.... http://www.courant.com/news/politics/hc-bow-hunting-deer-population- 0330-20140328,0,4924245.story

28-Mar-14
I hate the courant....left leaning piece of garbage newspaper

does anyone know the break down from 2012?

28-Mar-14
I found it...pretty neat looking at the numbers

total deer harvested in CT 2012, 13,421 (Crossbow only allowed in Jan) Break down Shotgun/Rifle-5783 ML-958 Archery-5413 1200 killed on private land by landowner which does not record weapon

Total Deer Harvest in 2013 12,549 (crossbow legal all season) Break down Shotgun / Rifle 4340 Archery 6046 ml 947 1200 killed on private land by landowner which does not record weapon

Say it aint so...LESS DEER killed for the year with the dreaded x bow aloud all season....this cant be right lol

28-Mar-14
Not sure jax but 6,046 sounds more than 5,413(bow & x-bow). There were 1,443 less with firearms but strings went up.

28-Mar-14
Yes we can thank inflation and the economy for those numbers. I was at a hunting class recently where a bunch of people said they were hunting to try and save money on the cost of meat. Even my sister inlaw who lives in another state says she has no desire to hunt but got here permit. She wanted me to go and get a deer for her because she said the cost of meat is so high.

28-Mar-14
Did you just state, in a public forum, that you intend to shoot game on someone else's permit?

28-Mar-14
That statement makes zero sense. If you break down what you spend on licenses, gear, gas and time....you're way better off going to the store.

28-Mar-14
Not so sure that is true. If your careful with your budget and don't by new equipment every year, I think venison can be cost effective.

28-Mar-14
Agree with toon. First 2-3 years it won't be but in the long teerm it is cost effective. if you put 100 lbs of venison in the freezer wit will save you $400-500 bucks a year. So, with 2 bucks you can save 500 bucks.

28-Mar-14
If you can honestly tell me that you don't spend $500 a year on gas, clothing, food, bow, bow parts, accessories, scents, tree stands, ladders, steps, boots, corn (for those that bait), safety gear, arrows, fletchings, broadheads, 3-D shoots, practice time and time spent in stand, etc....that you are saving money by killing a deer, I'm all ears.

Let's not get off track. Let's get back to giving our opinions on the state thinking we are still over-run with deer. Thanks.

28-Mar-14
I spend about $300 for gas and I haven't shot a deer in over 15 years, so that works out to about a jillion dollars a pound when I do shoot one.

Better off buying a steak, much cheaper.

28-Mar-14
SWK. Reading that article, I would agree that the herd is half or less from it used to be. It's definitely decreasing in all the areas I hunt. I hunt Colchester, Marlborough and Wallingford.

I have also put on my survey cards that the herd is decreasing for years. It's not a renewable resource the way it is managed currently.

30-Mar-14
Yeah V, got a new ECO system on the hover. Thinking of getting me one of those new fangle 49cc scooters and put a nice big basket on the front.

30-Mar-14
My big thing is lose of overtime when I go hunting I don't buy to much new stuff and most of my hunting is to and from work .

30-Mar-14
Haven't got one in three years That will cost you from now on! Steve

30-Mar-14

CT bow junkie's embedded Photo
CT bow junkie's embedded Photo
I have been bow hunting here since 2004. Love it

30-Mar-14
V

I think the 2 fatties you're talking about is what you're smoking if you think 2 deer will make up for 3 years of pay out!

To get serious for minute - what difference does it make how much we spend? I drive to some of the areas I hunt after the season just to take a hike, no intent to shoot anything obviously. I never looked at being in the outdoors as an investment where I expected a return on my money or efforts.

V - now pass the fatty.

31-Mar-14
Vito, I don't know if we would like you sane and stable. Just keep doing whatever your doing.

31-Mar-14
Next year I will have to work on getting you a deer V.

• Sitka Gear