Toonces 08-Apr-14
Ace 08-Apr-14
bigbuckbob 08-Apr-14
CTCrow 08-Apr-14
bigbuckbob 08-Apr-14
Mike in CT 08-Apr-14
CTCrow 09-Apr-14
01-Apr-14
to tango but one idiot nullify your vote.

I’m giving everybody here a challenge. You must convince 2 people this year to vote against Malloy and every gun grabbing politician out there.

I got a gun owner that actually voted for Malloy last election to open his eyes and he will be switching his vote this election.

I convinced another one that has never voted to register and vote against gun grabbers.

So, go get 2 votes and let us know when you do.

01-Apr-14
Great idea. I'm in.

01-Apr-14
I haven't ran into anyone who's voting for him so far, except my social working daughter. Kids!!!

Both of my daughters don't want me killing anything,... maybe that's why I let deer walk by.. I'm whipped :(

01-Apr-14
this state will never vote for a Repulican...we are doomed

01-Apr-14
Malloy won by less than 6,000 votes. We had republican before Malloy. We can win. Do your part and switch 2 people. I got 2 more people today that voted for him last year and they are not gun owners but are not happy the direction the state and country is headed.

01-Apr-14
SWK

I'm nuckin futs now, too late for helping me.

02-Apr-14
Dont forget free medical!

02-Apr-14
Not for long fish. They are making fellons of all of us just for owning WHAT WE ALREADY OWNED. You picked the wrong state.

02-Apr-14
CTFisherman, no registration is necessary for Shotguns .22s and the .30/30. They declared that all sorts of Modern Sporting Rifles were now classified as Assault Weapons (semi auto only) and those had to be registered by the end of 2013. Magazine capacity limits are now 10 here in CT.

New laws went into effect as of yesterday so you can't by a firearm without either a Pistol Permit or a Long Gun eligibility permit. Also no ammo purchases with either one of those permits or an Ammo eligibility permit (that started 1/1/14).

The gun laws in this state went from bad to worse, but so did NY so ...

If you want to PM me I'll answer any questions you have.

Lots of places offer the Pistol Permit Classes. A couple of guys here teach them, including me.

02-Apr-14
While I'll never vote Republican on the national level and I don't just vote on one issue, I look at what effects me as a whole, not just the one thing I have a passion for. With that being said, I sure as hell won't be voting for Malloy or any other Democrat on the local level, because in reality, they went too far with the gun laws they passed after Newtown..... So, I do support you guys in this 100%....... Since we are on the subject of politics, have you guys read some of the details in the Ryan budget plan, this guy wants to cut everything but defense spending, and I'm a veteran, so don't jump all over me for that one guys. But you have to be careful of the military industrial complex, which is basically what he's subscribing to. I mean, to take away from the poor, the less fortunate while not demanding anything in return from the more fortunate people in society.

I make around $100,000 per year, and I moved to CT. from Florida in 1997 with two suitcases and a desire to improve my life, and I succeeded in doing just that. But I remember what it was like to not have anything, I remember what it was like to be hungry with no food and no hope, I remember where I came from. So, I don't mind helping my neighbor or someone who's less fortunate than me, it's compassion and sadly, we're lacking that in America these days. We blame the less fortunate, or we like to group all less fortunate people into the same category, as lazy and worthless or as it being their fault that things are the way they are. Truth be told, the average welfare recipient is a person with a job who lives below the poverty level and normally uses the system for an average of two years, but yet, it's so easy to focus on the relatively few who abuse the system. You show me any system, anywhere in the world, be it a job, assistance, whatever the case, you will always have people who want to get over on the system, should we make it harder for everyone due to a relative few. I'm going to get old one day, and Paul Ryan wants to take social security, medicaid, medicare and gut public education. I can't afford to send my kids to private school like him, I need my benefits which I paid into the system my whole working life........just my two cents.

02-Apr-14
Please define "more fortunate" and "less fortunate" for us as you used them in the preceding post.

Those are terms used by progressives who feel that most successful people got that way by taking advantage of others. Every single person I know who has become financially comfortable did it through hard work and determination. They all suffered through hard times and worked through them.

To imply that they were "fortunate" is to suggest that it was luck not hard work that got them there. And to describe the poor as "less fortunate" is to imply that they are merely unlucky. Nothing could be further from the truth.

"Truth be told, the average welfare recipient is a person with a job who lives below the poverty level and normally uses the system for an average of two years,"

Care to quote your sources on this? Sounds like something from the NYT or Democrat talking points.

"While I'll never vote Republican on the national level "

Anyone who voted for Obama is no friend of Gun Owners.

Thanks for the current president, (twice). You are obviously part of the problem.

02-Apr-14
ANY SPORTSMEN WHO VOTES FOR LIBERALS WHEN WE CAN NO LONGER HUNT YOU BETTER NOT SAY A WORD!!!!!THAT DAY WILL COME!!!!

02-Apr-14
Lol, at Ace, I won't get into that argument with you and when you get older and can't get SS or anything else for that matter, remember how you voted to shoot yourself in the foot. Obviously your reader comprehension skills could use some work, at no point do I blame people for their success and as I pointed out, I started from the bottom, but I guess you didn't see that part either........ I read CNN, FAUX news, PBS, NYT, Wall Street Journal at times, Lakeland Ledger, New Haven Register, LA Times, Politico, The Daily Beast, various media outlets, I don't subscribe to one particular media vehicle, I read them all, then I make an informed opinion, how many media resources do you use "ACE".......

02-Apr-14
C2C,

What's FAUX?

I Thank you for being with us 100% in the local issues but will say that apparently it does not matter what you read or watch. With a statement like "While I'll never vote Republican on the national level" you sound very close minded.

" I don't subscribe to one particular media vehicle" What difence does that make when you subscribe to one line of thought?

I vote on issues and have voted both republican and democrat.

I weight these things among others:

Gun control

Military issues

Death penalty

Economy

Who lets me keep MY MONEY

Abortion

Then I see what candidate is on my side on most of the issues and that is who I vote for regardless of political afiliation. It just happent that most of the times it is a republican but i would never say "I would never vote for a democrat"

02-Apr-14
Countrytocity,

If Paul Ryan wants to do all the things you say he wants to do, I am voting for him, twice.

Crow,

Unfortunately I don't see CT going Republican any time soon.

02-Apr-14
To each his own, but my issues are mine and I vote accordingly.. FOX news, which is no better than MSNBC...

02-Apr-14
My "reader comprehension skills" are just fine Cuntry. And of course you never defined the term "fortunate" as I asked. You did however use it five times in that post. Using the terms 'less fortunate' and 'more fortunate' quite clearly implies that success is due to something other than effort. If you don't see that you're not paying attention.

You also, didn't cite your source for the (welfare) "average of two years" quote.

I think we all know where you got that from.

When a liberal rails against "income inequality" hold on to your wallets. Every time I hear someone say: "The rich get richer and the poor get poorer", I immediately add: 'Of course they do, because they will both continue to do what got them there in the first place'.

Why is it some people want to "spread the wealth around", and when they talk like that they are always talking about other people's money? Why not create the conditions where more people can be successful?

Anyone else notice that this has been the first recession in recent memory where entrepreneurship hasn't been encouraged? Anyone else think that the current administration wants more people dependent on the federal government so they can be assured of those votes?

Cuntry, Vote anyway you like, and I do thank you for your service. But, if you think that this country or this state can continue to spend the way the current crop of Democrats are spending and survive, then you're delusional. Cuts have to be made, and the runaway size of government has to be controlled. Debts have to be paid, one way or another. By us, or by the next generation.

02-Apr-14
Ace, first and foremost, I'm glad that we can disagree without it getting personal, which speaks volumes, given that politics and religion are both flashpoints. You're inserting your own meaning into the fortunate versus less fortunate, especially when you're talking about a guy who moved to CT with two suitcases and built everything I have with hard work. My first job here was pumping gas at a full serve gas station in West Haven in 1997, then it was getting the shopping carts out of the parking lot at Shoprite, there was no luck or anything else involved in that, just plain old hard work. At that time, I was less fortunate, so to speak. Fast forward to 2014, and I'm fortunate to have a job making around $100k, but it was a process. Having said that, I pay an exorbitant amount in taxes on a weekly basis, and no I don't like it, but I will not complain about helping those less fortunate, even if it's someone who despises me and everything I stand for. If, for some reason you were to get down on your luck Ace, which I hope and pray never happens, I wouldn't mind my tax dollars going to help your family.....I know people who are in their 50's worked hard their whole damn life, lost their job in the recession and no one is hiring 50 year old men and women, or very few people are. That isn't laziness, ineptitude or a lack of character, that is the luck of the draw for some good people and I'll be damned if I wanna see my neighbor suffer thru no fault of their own.

As for the working poor, we all can't be doctors, lawyers, or as in my case, a machinist and fabricator... Someone has to clean the hotel rooms, someone has to wait on tables, janitorial duties, all types of low paying jobs, but if someone is at least trying, what's wrong with a helping hand. I'm sorry, but that's called compassion....I hunt, I own guns, did four years in the army, a man in every sense of the word, but I have and always will have a sense of compassion for my fellow human beings, regardless of race, creed, political affiliation or religious beliefs.

Ace, I would encourage you to visit Wikipedia, government websites, but no blogs, which are subjective opinions, and you will see that most welfare recipients are the working poor, not the Welfare Queen that Reagan so famously evoked in the 80's, stoking fears and anxieties. How about corporate welfare, which far exceeds that of the working poor, therein lies the real problem, but of course no one talks about the rich, much easier to pick on the poor. Hell, my company that I work for, they just received a $400 million dollar taxbreak from the state of CT.....talk about corporate welfare....

I could go on and on, but like I said, to each his own and once again Ace, I tip my hat to you for not letting it get personal. May you be Blessed in all that you do and regardless of our differences, I truly wish all of you guys the best!!!!

02-Apr-14
Just like to point out that ANYBODY can edit wikipedia. That would be the last place anybody should be getting facts from.

Also, the govement has ZERO businesse's tht are profitable. The only way for the gov to have money is to take it from us in the way of taxes, fees and other charges. Any money the goverment gives out is our money. I would rather choose what charity or help I give than having the gov decide.

You sound like a very nice respectful person. I just hope you put everything on a valace before deciding who to vote for and not just say I would never vote for a republican. If you still vote the other way, that is your right just know that you will be voting for even bigger gun grabbers.

03-Apr-14
So if you vote are Republican you are not compassionate or care about others less fortunate...

what a load of crap cuntry.....

I am a HR recruiter for one of the largest employers in CT and we hire 50+ professionals all the time!

04-Apr-14
Cuntry you can rationalize it any way you want, to vote how you see fit, but this country was built on hard work and that's how you get ahead to make a better life for your family...why should those successful hard working people be penalized and over taxed to support the people who do nothing and accomplish nothing...what is the message there??? There are too many people in this country living on the government assistance programs that don't take an active role in bettering their lives, their families lives or our society...that is not a rationalization, that is reality and why I don't align with the Democratic Party...Vote Them All OUT!!!!

04-Apr-14
I also work for a large CT company and we also hire people in their 50's. We have jobs we can't fill. Why? Because people on the government payroll can make the same money staying home on government asistance and insurance than they would make working hard for the same amount of money.

I was raised with a sense of pride and responsibility to myself and my family. I would rather collect cans and bottles before I went on welfare. I hate this entitlement attitude that some people have, especially the democratic party that the world owes them a comfy life. Get off your butt, work hard, take responsibility for your life, and you too can be blest in this great country. Blest with hard work and reward, not gifts.

06-Apr-14
V

I agree that there are people who end up without a job through no fault of their own, and they continue to look for work and use assistance as a temporary fix. I have no problem with those people.

I was speaking about the people that make a life out of living off the government. They want the government to buy them cellphones, pay for their birth control and sell their food stamps so they can buy alcohol and cigarettes. Is the majority, I don't honestly know, but even one is too many.

06-Apr-14
One thing is for certain, I hear all the same talking points on FOX news, they're trying to take what you've earned, give me a break.....In reality, it's the top ten percent who are talking about you, but keep voting Republican because of guns or supposedly hard work, like that's a train only Republicans have..... You can put a label on a guy like me or thing you know something I don't, but they have you so concerned about someone who isn't even a remote threat to you or your well being, you don't, can't or wont see the rich guys like the KOCH brothers who are laughing at you guys all the way to the bank. I'd rather fight for the poor and less fortunate than the big banker types............ How are you guys going to buy bullets when Paul Ryan guts Social Security, how many of you are going to like the medicare and medicaid vouchers in the not too distant future. Most of you guys don't understand the issues, the very same "hard working" talking points I hear on Fox news, give me a break...... I'd rather speak out for an injustice than become a mouthpiece for a rich guy.....we could go on and on, but I'm done and like I said before, wish you guys nothing but the best.

06-Apr-14
How about corporate welfare, which far exceeds that of the working poor, therein lies the real problem, but of course no one talks about the rich, much easier to pick on the poor.

In 2012 "Means Tested Welfare" (MTW)spending came to $927B

In the same year "Corporate Welfare" spending came in at $97.6B.

MTW is comprised of 79 programs and does not include SS, Medicare Unemployment insurance or Worker's Compensation. Many Americans are unaware of the actual cost due to the fragmentation of it's presentation when discussed.

One misperception about "Corporate Welfare" centers on tax subsidies. While undeniably true that Corporations (for example let's use everyone's favorite whipping boy, "Big Oil") receive tax subsidies the reality is there are many entities, including non-business entitities that are not only elibible but do receive them. For example Planned Parenthood in the year we're using for our example (2012) received slightly less than $0.5B in tax subsidies ($487.4M to be exact)

Now let's look at evil Big Oil and their tax subsidies in 2012. Of the $4 billion in alleged subsidies to Big Oil, $1.7 billion derives from a domestic manufacturing tax deduction intended to keep factories in the U.S. It is available to every company, not just oil companies. Another $850 million comes from another tax provision, also available to every U.S. corporation, that gives a credit for taxes paid to foreign countries—just as you can deduct your state taxes from your federal income taxes. Yet another $1 billion comes from tax rules that let oil companies treat oil in the ground as capital equipment for write-down purposes, and the rest comes from rules that let oil companies write off certain business costs immediately.

By the way are you aware that while Big Oil makes an "obscene profit" of 6.2 cents per dollar of gasoline the Federal government makes 18.4 cents?

All of the information in the post is easily obtainable in about 15 seconds on google or whatever search engine you prefer. Forget the bloggers, go to the source; the Federal government is required by law to have the annual budget by line item available.

06-Apr-14
Ouch!

07-Apr-14
Mike in Ct, please provide your link to this so-called groundbreaking info that you have provided, because try as I might, I just can't find your magic numbers on any government website, so please feel free to continue educating me Sir.....

07-Apr-14
You aren't trying very hard; that is to find the information. On the other hand you are succeeding remarkably well in displaying equal parts immaturity and petulence, neither trait I am inclined to indulge.

If you give it an honest effort and you still can't find the information see if you can summon up the ability to ask like a mature adult; you'll find I treat people with respect when they offer it first.

07-Apr-14
try as I might, I just can't find your magic numbers on any government website,

The link provided below is for those who might wonder, maybe just a little bit, if my response above was a dodge-rest assured it was not.

Again, about 15 seconds on google and a little bit of effort. All the numbers you could ever want and remember, "corporate welfare" does not fall under mandatory spending; social welfare and other "entitlement programs" do. Do the math. Numbers don't lie.

http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbofiles/attachments/44172-Baseline2.pdf

08-Apr-14
We are just seeing the product of the social engineering occurring in the education of our youth. Pit rich against poor, hunter against animal lover, pro-gun against anti-gun, atheists against the religious, race against race....

The result of this divisiveness is to reduce us all to a common denominator, where no one is exceptional, except for the "elites" who think they know what is better for us.

08-Apr-14
Social Security and Medicare are not considered means tested programs, so why would you include them in your numbers, other than to mislead. As shown in the report, in 2012 federal spending was totaled at $588 billion on these programs. Whereas, the oil and gas industry received $20 billion in tax subsidies for the given year of 2013.

Also according to the CBO, revenues would be greater if not for the more than 200 tax expenditures in individual and corporate income tax system, which will total more than $1 trillion in 2013.

As for asking you for the info regarding the site you found the numbers on, it was to verify, not due to a lack of effort, and your personal attacks on me due to a difference of opinion, reflect in you, a lack of character at the least and a bit of immaturity.

One things for sure, my parents taught me to never argue with fools, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. So, you take care Mike and as far as I'm concerned, I'm finished with this debate and learn how to have a difference of opinion without resulting to ad-hominem attacks.

http://www.cbo.gov/publication/43934

08-Apr-14
C2C,

You still voting against local gun grabbing politicians right?

08-Apr-14
Only a deluded liberal could think a number like $588 billion dollars in spending on welfare entitlements is reasonable.

I wonder how much of that $588 billion actually makes into the pockets of people who need it and how much is spent to feed the government bureaucracy paper pushers that administer these programs.

08-Apr-14
I think what I'm hearing is: "I got everything I have from the sweat of my brow and through my hard work, but any of the rest of you who have more than 2 nickels to rub together got it off the backs of the less fortunate".

Liberal, Conservative, Libertarian, Socialist, Green, Independent, etc, etc:

I don't care what party you belong to, But if you think you know how to run my life better than I know how to run my life: I OPPOSE YOU.

And if you think you get to TELL me how to run my life, we WILL be butting heads.

The first, (and quite possibly the only necessary) test of a party's trustworthyness is if they trust the masses with Firearms. Most Liberal Politicians, many Rinos, and some Conservative fail this test, and fail miserably.

More and more people have had their eyes opened on this issue recently. When the rest of them try to buy a box of .22 rimfire or a .22 rifle, they will wake up.

08-Apr-14
I'm just amazed at those who justify one mistake by comparing it to another mistake, and saying the first is smaller so ignore it. Both are wrong. Corporate welfare or people on lifetime welfare who are able bodied.

I agree with ACE - stay the hell out of my life. I contribute to several charities, volunteer for all American Cancer Society events, March of Dimes events at work, fund raisers for adoption agencies and of course my church.

Now remember - shoot less deer this year and report more deer on your kill reports.

08-Apr-14
BBB,

Explain to me how you can shoot less deer?

Forgot this: :-)

08-Apr-14
Easy,

yesterday I didn't shoot 3 and today I didn't shoot 2 deer, therefore I shot less deer today :). I checked the math and it works out.

Tomorrow I'm not shooting 5 deer!

08-Apr-14
Social Security and Medicare are not considered means tested programs, so why would you include them in your numbers, other than to mislead.

Evidently reading comprehension wasn't high on your achievement list:

"MTW is comprised of 79 programs and does not include SS, Medicare Unemployment insurance or Worker's Compensation."

Try again.

As for asking you for the info regarding the site you found the numbers on, it was to verify, not due to a lack of effort, and your personal attacks on me due to a difference of opinion, reflect in you, a lack of character at the least and a bit of immaturity.

Newsflash; you followed a post of mine that mentioned no one by name, attacked no one by inference with:

Mike in Ct, please provide your link to this so-called groundbreaking info that you have provided, because try as I might, I just can't find your magic numbers on any government website, so please feel free to continue educating me Sir.....

Can the whining-I called a spade a spade.

So, you take care Mike and as far as I'm concerned, I'm finished with this debate and learn how to have a difference of opinion without resulting to ad-hominem attacks.

Have some cheese with that second helping of whine.

09-Apr-14
BBB,

LMAO I guess by those numbers you you will be done shooting less deer by tomorrow and start not shooting more.

• Sitka Gear