West Virginia
Contributors to this thread:
WVM&M 06-Apr-14
gobbler 06-Apr-14
Boothill 07-Apr-14
JB 08-Apr-14
gobbler 08-Apr-14
06-Apr-14
I just planted 20 apple trees.....Liberty, Enterprise, and Goldrush varieties. I planted these based on recommendation from Charlie Morse from Morse nurseries due to the late season apple maturity. I have a buddy that has been planting apple trees for about 8 years and is now reaping the fruits of his labor and its impressive. Anybody else have experience with tree plots?

06-Apr-14
My experience is that it can be rewarding and frustrating . Depending on what type , normal, semi-dwarf, or dwarf. Full size apples can take 10-12 years to mature. Fertilizer your trees each spring. Proper pruning is a subject to itself. Depending on what size you got will deteime how far apart they should go. Try to fence them to keep rabbits and deer away from bark. My biggest problem have been bears. I've had trees that I've had 15-20 years stripped of fruit and limbs overnight. That's pretty frustrating. I've had same luck with chestnut, and sawtooth oak.

07-Apr-14
yes....bears......biggest threat to new and semi new trees......clip all the fruit from smaller trees and allow them to grow unmolested from bears.....same with chestnut trees.

08-Apr-14
I've had bears just push my young trees over evidently for fun. They weren't chewed on, just mashed down.

08-Apr-14
They can be nosy and just plain mischievous . I've got claw marks on the logs under about every window on my cabin. I guess they just want to look in and see what's going on. Maybe they're trying to see if Yogi bear is on TV?

• Sitka Gear