roger 10-Apr-14
PA_archer1 10-Apr-14
DaleHajas 10-Apr-14
roger 10-Apr-14
PA_archer1 10-Apr-14
PA_archer1 12-Apr-14
roger 12-Apr-14
08-Apr-14
Hey fellas. So I'm trying to get together a check list of the gear I need for hunting so I'm prepared for the hog hunt the end of this month. I'm sure there's stuff I'm missing and I haven't gotten everything I know of.

Camo clothes- son and I have mossy oak shirt and pants boots- wolverine dura shocks for me, none for son tree stand- provided 150qt cooler- still need bow- have but trying to upgrade arrows- don't have, going to buy 1/2 dozen GT 5575's camo broadheads- got hades and muzzy mx4's both 100gr rangefinder- waiting to upgrade bow tick repellent- still need quiver- have a back one

That's my list so far. If you guys can help me ad things I'll need it would be appreciated.

Also if anyone has any extra stuff they would like to sell let me know.

Everyone's been a huge help already, sorry to keep asking so many newbie questions.

Chris

08-Apr-14
Are you taking a rifle along?

08-Apr-14
I never hog hunted (FL, AR) without my .357 on my hip or in a fanny pack. Been charged before, never been nipped though. Enjoy it, have some pictures for us afterwards!

08-Apr-14
I wasn't planing on it Dale, should I?

I was going to PM you about the laws in PA with regards to carrying a handgun while hunting, for safety?

I believe it is a semi controlled hunt so I'm not sure what is allowed and what's not. Friday I'm going to the range I'll have to ask when I'm there. I would prefer to have my 45acp with me too.

08-Apr-14
Hey fellas. So I'm trying to get together a check list of the gear I need for hunting so I'm prepared for the hog hunt the end of this month. I'm sure there's stuff I'm missing and I haven't gotten everything I know of.

Camo clothes- son and I have mossy oak shirt and pants

boots- wolverine dura shocks for me, none for son

tree stand- provided

150qt cooler- still need

bow- have but trying to upgrade

arrows- don't have, going to buy 1/2 dozen GT 5575's camo

broadheads- got hades and muzzy mx4's both 100gr

rangefinder- waiting to upgrade bow

tick repellent- still need quiver- have a back one

That's my list so far. If you guys can help me ad things I'll need it would be appreciated.

Everyone's been a huge help already, sorry to keep asking so many newbie questions.

Chris

08-Apr-14
So you are going hunting for big game at the end of the month and don't have your bow and arrows yet?????

I guess it can be done but finding compatable equipment (bow, arrows, broadheads) can take weeks or months. Then hours and hours of practice to develop accuracy with your new equipment.

I don't mean to discourage you but it sounds like it's a little late to be acquiring the basic equipment.

08-Apr-14
It would be nice to come back with meat. If I'm correct- your new to hunting and being up to your elbows in pig innards should be your immediate goal.

Kill something- feel it- feel it ALL... Take the ENTIRE experience home, the smells the sights and sit down and EAT what you just accomplished. The meal itself is topping on the cake. You'll soon find out about the passion of hunting. You'll either never go again or you'll become a hunter. Do it with class and honesty, 2 ingredients so lacking in todays society, they improve the taste dramatically!

No shame in killin a pig with a gun. The end game at this point.

Just my recommendation~(8o)

08-Apr-14
Red kinda scary we're thinking and posting alike at the same time......ewwwwww~(8o)

08-Apr-14
Dale, all I got out of your post was that you like to eat lots of cake.

Duh!

08-Apr-14
yup~(8o)

08-Apr-14
Red- I have a bow I've been practicing with I am going to use for this hunt. Like Dale suggested to see if I am really truly into hunting. If so then I'm going to upgrade to a newer model. Just got the broadheads in yesterday so I'll be hitting the range as much as possible. Picking the arrows up Friday.

20 yards is my target area. I have been shooting nice consistent groups up to that range.

I have those basics just wanted to know if there's anything else I should bring with me. I.e. orange vest, bug spray, some kind of medic kit for emergencies, ect... things of that nature.

Removed the "firearms" section

08-Apr-14
The outfitter will tell you what to bring- if you have questions. The other guys going along should help too.

08-Apr-14
B & A will let you use broadheads on their range?

08-Apr-14
Firearms discussion?

08-Apr-14
Bob- they have specific targets for broadheads only.

Glad you mentioned that Bob you reminded me, any of you guys recommend a decent target I can get to use for broadheads? My uncle has 10 acres of land in Newtown, PA I wanted to go up with a decent target to practice outside in real hunting conditions and different yards. Also help me learn to estimate yardage with my eyes. Bringing me sons along also.

09-Apr-14
When using broadheads I believe in cheap targets. Chris you seem to have your bases covered to this point. The pics you posted of your shot group were very consistent.

One thing to keep in mind..... the hunt you're going on really isn't going to be representative of bowhunting Pa whitetail. You're going on a controlled hunt where you and your son are going to see game.

I'm not one for these types of hunts but for the money I have considered hunting hogs behind a fence. Hogs are the only critter I personally would hunt like this. You get to pick your bacon lol It isn't "real" hunting but that don't mean it cant be a fun experience and useful tool. I sensed you are aware of that but your son may not.

09-Apr-14
You can pick up blue insulation at Lowe's and cut it into any size squares you desire then layer them together with glue and/or duct tape......dirt cheap at a fraction of store bought targets.

09-Apr-14
Dale- I agree it's not "real" hunting but for me at least it's the best way to see if I like the killing, field dressing, ect...of hunting. There's only one way to find out and thats to get out there and do it right. If I am into it then after this no more controlled hunts. Like you and a lot of other guys said just being out in the woods, in nature is an awesome experience. The other radon I decided to take part in this was because no one I know hints so it's a way to meet fellow hunters.

Roger-guess I should have thought of that since I work there! Thanks for the info.

09-Apr-14
Chris use the Styrofoam from those cargo trailers that Lowes sells.

09-Apr-14
Any ole time, Chris. :)

09-Apr-14
I had to rush out of work today, my youngest son is making his penance and didn't want to miss it. I asked the night stockers if they had any styrofoam to leave it for me. If not I'll just buy some that's np.

What do you guys think of using aluminum arrows for hunting? The reason I ask is because I already have 6 easton aluminum xx75's that I've been shooting. I was thinking all I would have to do is ad the broadheads resight in a bit and I'm good to go?

Between the money for the rangefinder and arrows that's about $200 I could put towards a new bow. And with next weeks check put another $100 aside and I am in the market! Plus if I put my current bow up for sale for $50 or something that seems like a good amount to put towards a new bow.

09-Apr-14
Chris, aluminum is fantastic. There is nothing straighter or more spine consistent. The advantage to carbon is smaller diameter and on average it's lighter, sometimes significantly so. I never had trouble killing game with either. If what you have now is tuned and shooting well then I'd say stick with it and save money for other stuff.

You mention "resight". If your broadhead groups and field point groups don't coincide then your bow isn't tuned. Don't let guys tell you otherwise - they don't tune and/or don't comprehend the value of a tuned bow.

09-Apr-14
I use aluminum for hunting deer and hogs. Good choice.

You are wise to skip buying a rangefinder. Keep your shots within reasonable distance and you will never need one.

10-Apr-14
Thanks roger and red. Going to make that target tomorrow at work, can't wait to try out the broadheads.

One other question, I got some wax for my bowstring was wondering how exactly do you apply it? How much, how often, ect? Also when storing the bow what is the best way to store it, laying down, hanging, ect?

Thanks, Chris

10-Apr-14
Just smear it on strings and cables whenever they appear to be getting fuzzy looking, Chris. In so far as storing the bow I used to just hang mine on a rubber coated hook in the basement.

10-Apr-14
Thanks again roger. Do you have to run the wax on with anything? Or just leave it caked on?

Was looking at the styrofoam in Lowe's, they have a piece that's like 2" thick and about 6' tall by 2'-4' wide. Was thinking I could cut 2' x 2' sections and make it 3'-4' thick. How thick do you think it needs to be to make sure broadheads don't go straight thru?

Thanks, Chris

10-Apr-14
Get a pc of leather and burnish the wax- rub it into- the string using the leather pc..

10-Apr-14
Just push the bottom of the tube so some pops up and rub it on the string while holding the dispenser....a little goes a long way. I'd say 18" - 20" thick on the target should be fine......bigger the longer it will last though.

10-Apr-14
Ok I bought a 8' x 4' piece of styrofoam insulation, not the real weak styrofoam. It's 2" thick. Here are the best options I can come up with for a target;

1) 2' x 2' squares would make it only 16" thick

2) 16" x 16" would make it 36" or 3' thick

3) 18" x 18" would make it 20" thick with a 8' x 1' piece left over and about 3' x 6" piece left over

I could use the 8' x 1' left over piece to make 8-12" x 12" pieces and put 2 at a time at the front of the target and replace those as they get to damaged.

Going to use spray adhesive and duct tape to keep everything together. What do you guys think?

Thanks, Chris

12-Apr-14
Hey fellas, so I took the Hunter Safety Course today, did great. Can now officially go hunting!

Last night I also built the target. I cut 10 pieces 18" x 18" making the target 20" thick. I have a 8' x 1' piece left over so I decided to cut them in 12" x 12" pieces. What I'm gonna do is put 2 pieces 12" x 12" at the front of the target. This way when they get completely shot out I can replace them 3 more times.

I have a question about the broadheads. Should I use them to practice with on the styrofoam?? Or just use 1 of each broadhead so the other 2 stay extremely sharp?

Thanks, Chris

Edit: I forgot to ask does anyone know where to get a decent broadhead wrench? I've searched online and found a bunch but the shipping is double the price of the wrench lol ridiculous. Even on amazon they have one for $2.50 but shipping is like $8!! Also looking for a broadhead tackle box.

12-Apr-14
Congrats!

Yeah, your fine with that target and thinking in the right direction......I mean you are really dialed in to all this. :)

Here's the deal with broadheads; as long as they are concentric(perfectly straight) and the interface with the shaft(at the arrow's insert) is aligned as well, and the bow is tuned then they will impact the same mark as field points. For now, take one broadhead tipped arrow and see if it impacts the same mark as the field point arrow group. If it will with consistency then the rig is tuned and you can 'save' the others. If not, something is wrong and needs corrected......we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.

For a broadhead wrench, just PM me your addy and I will mail one to you.

• Sitka Gear