gobbler 11-Apr-14
M.P. 11-Apr-14
Jim Casto Jr 11-Apr-14
WVM&M 11-Apr-14
gobbler 11-Apr-14
WVM&M 11-Apr-14
gobbler 12-Apr-14
10-Apr-14
Does anybody use organic fertilizer like ohio earth foods or antler dirt? Synthetic fertilizer does harm to organic matter in soil....not sure to what extent but studies are suggesting that synthetics have harmful attributes. Ill more than likely put 12-24-24 down but have been considering alternatives. Anybody have experience?

10-Apr-14
Too bad you can't use some of the "fetilizer" that is the by-product of threads on this site. Sometimes I feel like I'm up to my waist in it.

10-Apr-14
I don't know. I've always just used regular feed store fertilizer. One of my neighbors put out turkey manure from a local turkey farm one year, but then he never did again over concern about spreading e-coli or salmonella or something else. I don't really know for sure.

I'm sure some will be suprised, but I don't have an opinion about it.

10-Apr-14
But the threads that have the most fertilizer are the best threads.

11-Apr-14
one old farmer used get the human sewage from city sewer plant, it stunk pretty good but sure did make stuff grow in his fields

11-Apr-14
As well as help spread hepatitis hrough the community..

11-Apr-14
Fertilizer? Fertilizer? We don't need no stinking fertilizer

11-Apr-14
Sludge (human waste) has been used, mostly on pasture lands for years. It's usage is strictly regulated and monitored. Never heard of specific case of disease being transmitted by it--but, like everything else, there is a lot of controversy about it.

11-Apr-14
Milorganite sold at home depot for $12.37/36 lbs bag is "manufactured" by the millwaukee sewer district. Used as fertilizer and as a food plot saver because it stinks. Ive ruled this option out.

11-Apr-14
I'm sure human waste can be treated with heat, irradiated , or some other process to kill bacteria and viruses, but personally I'd rather use a bag of triple 19.

I know there have been and continue to be problems with fertilizer runoff especially in the Potomac drainage creating dead zones in the Chesapeake Bay. I thought a lot of it had to do with all the poultry farms and "natural" wastes from them.

I wasn't aware of synthetic fertilizer actually damaging the soil and would appreciate and would appreciate some references for that information. Thanks

11-Apr-14
http://grist.org/article/2010-02-23-new-research-synthetic-nitrogen-destroys-soil-carbon-undermines/

Scientist from u of illinois have published several papers on subject. This particular article focuses on N but others focus on K and P. Lots of controversy because this is big business. I dont buy into most of the organic craze but this one makes some sense. I still plan on putting synthetic down.

12-Apr-14
Thanks, I'll look at it.

• Sitka Gear