Joe The Teacher 16-Apr-14
Dale Miller 16-Apr-14
Rut Nut 16-Apr-14
Joe The Teacher 17-Apr-14
14-Apr-14

Joe The Teacher's Link
New approach to deer management takes aim at urban and rural problems

April 13, 2014 12:00 AM

"The buck you take on the special regulations tag would not count against the buck you're entitled to on your statewide license," he said, "but you couldn't get a doe tag anywhere else in the state. ... Possibly you could buy more doe tags [in the special regs area]. That would concentrate your focus on the urban area, but you'd still be able to use your statewide license to hunt elsewhere."

Santucci said his suggestion would encourage hunters who live in urban areas to help thin herds of problem deer close to home, without restricting their mountain deer hunts.

"I live in Robinson. Say we wanted to start a tri-tag program here," he said. "[The Game Commission] would assess the deer problem and issue a small number of tri- tags -- maybe as few as 50 deer might need to removed from one small area. They'd allocate the tags and hunters would apply for them, archery only."

Under his proposition, Santucci would have to shoot a doe before targeting a buck or another doe.

"But then I could still go with my buddies to my deer camp and try for another buck," he said.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/hunting- fishing/2014/04/13/New-approach-to-deer-management-urban- rural-problems/stories/201404130130#ixzz2yrvNY58Y

16-Apr-14

Joe The Teacher's Link
Thanks Matt-I do not agree with all of it, although some good ideas...ideas are free.....check your PM

Check Link for a good bear article and Conrats on yours first bruin!

Wide-ranging bears

Some urban bears really put on the miles.

A 1-year-old female captured in the Johnstown study area walked about 700 miles, traveling to Pittsburgh once and Grove City three times, before denning 84 miles away from where she first was collared.

A 1-year-old male in the Scranton area traveled 750 miles before being taken by a hunter 114 miles from his original capture site.

Such long-ranging bears are not the norm, game commission bear biologist Mark Ternent said, but they are not necessarily that rare, either.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/outdoors/5943625-74/bears-urban-areas#ixzz2z44R14KM Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

16-Apr-14
Thanks for the link, Joe- VERY interesting article!

"The goal was to see if bears living in urban areas were susceptible to harvest."

Well, I know of one particular bear that was REALLY susceptible to harvest! (in fact so much so, that it gave a certain hunter two chances to shoot it! ;-)

16-Apr-14
Perry- I think the 1st shot opportunity was a warning shot....~(8o)

16-Apr-14
LOL!

16-Apr-14
Only part of the deer management proposal is new, most of it is regurgitated. It is part of what got many of the state's forest in such terrible shape. It is the old plan of "save doe and kill the habitat" that so many brave commissioners worked so hard to reverse, only now to be undermined by the legislature and recent questionable commissioner appointments from the governors. The urban part might have some merit but it is likely a smoke screen to appease hunters who will now have a hard time getting antlerless permits in numerous WMU.

16-Apr-14
LOL Dale! {H}

17-Apr-14
Yes the urban part does have convoluted merit. With the governor and politician calling the shots the regurgitation will be the norm. No doubt in my mind. Might as well replace the biologists with lobbyists!

• Sitka Gear