gobbler 15-Apr-14
babysaph 15-Apr-14
gobbler 15-Apr-14
WVM&M 15-Apr-14
gobbler 15-Apr-14
gobbler 16-Apr-14
babysaph 17-Apr-14
14-Apr-14
We're supposed to have a freeze tomorrow night and I started thinking about the white oaks. I know elevation has a lot to do with killing the acorn bud because cold air drops into the valleys and warmer air will rise. That's why last fall there were acorns above a certain altitude and none lower in most places.

What I don't know is what is the prime time period that they are most vulnerable to damage from freezing. I know it probably changes a little from year to year based on whether it's an early, normal, or late spring, but does anybody know what the vulnerable period is. Is it in April, or May, or even June?

Thanks

14-Apr-14
Well I dont know either but do we get many frosts in June? Seems to me that April would be a critical time unless the mast crop is not dependent on the frosts. We don't always have a good crop even when we get no frosts.

14-Apr-14
I think we only get really good crops every 3-5 years. I think they can survive a few frosts, but I think freezing temps. Is what gets them. It's supposed to get down to 25-27 Tuesday night. That's what I was wondering about .

15-Apr-14
If you could get your hands on some historical temperature data and compare to the wv mast report than it probably would be an obvious correlation. I know rain is a significant contributor for acorn production as well. My gut tells me tonight will have no impact because of the late spring.

15-Apr-14
You are right. That caused me to remember that a real heavy rain can affect the pollination.

15-Apr-14
But remember more deer will be killed with a poor mast crop because deer are looking for food according to the DNR or more deer will be killed with a good mast crop because deer have plenty to eat. LOL.

15-Apr-14
Or it could be good weather, or it might be bad weather .

15-Apr-14
copied out a research paper: Various climatic factors, such as wind, late frost, prolonged rain, relative humidity, and temperature have been shown to affect the opening and closing of the anthers and the dissemination of pollen (Sharp and Chisman 1961). A study of pistillate flowering and acorn development in Pennsylvania showed that good crops of white oak acorns were obtained when a warm 10-day period in late April was followed by a cool period in May (Sharp and Sprague I967).

15-Apr-14
So it sounds like late April thru may.

Thanks

16-Apr-14
The news tonight said that some apples were harmed by the freeze last night, and that they may get nipped again tonight. Not sure about grapes yet.

17-Apr-14
Yea we have had 3 frosts in a row. Apples will be affected.

• Sitka Gear