babysaph 29-Apr-14
wvmule 30-Apr-14
gcoleman 30-Apr-14
Cornbread 01-May-14
WVBOWHUNTER 02-May-14
babysaph 02-May-14
Doug 04-May-14
15-Apr-14
I have yet to find a reliable spot to find mushrooms from year to year. I will find them one year and then the next nothing. What is the secret to a year to year Molly Moocher hotspot. Besides the obvious which is not to tell a soul where you found them.

James

15-Apr-14
If you find out let me know. Seems like I'll only find them in the same spot every few years. Maybe that's just their nature?

15-Apr-14
a buddy of mine found 150,yes 150 sunday. They were all up high....

15-Apr-14
Are you guys pinching them off or pulling them out of the ground. Also another good point when you go hunting for mushrooms take a bag with small holes in the bag. When you walk around looking for more the spores will fall out of the bag and plant more mushrooms.

15-Apr-14
Yes, because of the underground network. I think deer get a lot on my place.

15-Apr-14
U guys ever eat golden chanterelles ,,,I like morelles but chanterelles are out of this world ,,,if wet summer their very common in July and august

15-Apr-14
George, you're a scamp! Never mind him, he's always telling fibs. Now, back to the morels.

16-Apr-14
Look on the top of mountains and on the south slope of the mountain. You will find them around poplar trees, sycamores, and ash trees. I have found 9 so far but there frozen after the cold spell we had last night. Where these were found was in a bunch of oaks, and I have been finding them in this spot for at least 20+ years. Hope it continues to be good.

24-Apr-14

WVBOWHUNTER's embedded Photo
WVBOWHUNTER's embedded Photo
Found 86 this evening.

24-Apr-14
Good bunch!

I rarely find black ones at my place, mainly white ones.

28-Apr-14
Found 346 Saturday in about 5 hours and another 147 yesterday in the same area. All black morels.

28-Apr-14
Why do they call them that? I don't like that name.

I'm going to start calling them Tommy hard workers.

I found the answer. Back in the days before welfare there was a girl named Molly Smith. She quit school and would never work so her parents threw her out when she turned 18. She would go to friends , family, or whoever would keep her and feed her. She would stay with them a few weeks until they got tired of her and kick her out.

Every spring she would show up at the fishing camp of a couple from Charleston during trout, ramp, and mushroom season.

One evening the man had gathered a bushel of mushrooms and left them on the back porch to clean the next morning. During the middle of the night they heard a noise on the back porch. They thought it might be a bear and devised a plan to get a picture of the bear. They were going to swing the door open and she was going to shine a big light and he was going to take a picture. Everything went as planned and they got the picture but it was Molly not a bear. They caught her red handed carrying the bushel of mushrooms.

Even though she had spent 4 or 5 springs with them, they only knew her as Molly. So they blew the picture up and posted it up and down the elk from Bergoo to Webster Springs. It said "Wanted. Molly Moocher" cause everyone called her a mooch.

The picture showed her holding a bushel bucket full of mushrooms. People misunderstood the caption and thought they wanted the mushrooms and for some reason were calling the mushrooms Molly Moochers. And the name stuck.

No one ever knew what happened to Molly. Some people claim she drown in the elk trying to cross it with the bushel of mushrooms. Other people claim a bear killed her for the mushrooms. Some people claim that the old couple knew she was stealing from them and planted a poison mushroom in with the good ones hoping she would eat it and die. One man from Webster Springs swears he saw her working at a roulette table in Las Vegas. She is still officially listed as missing.

28-Apr-14
I heard that same story. I also heard they make you hallucinate

28-Apr-14
That's true too. LOL

29-Apr-14
smokey,,,only u would could dream that up... too much down time in the ol turkey blind huh

29-Apr-14
Or he has been eating too many of them

30-Apr-14
whatever you do, don't eat them until you cook them unless you hate me. If you do, please eat a handful of them raw. ;o)

30-Apr-14
mule has first had experience about what happens eating them raw lol

01-May-14
Found 15 "whites" today

02-May-14
Found another 404 yesterday evening blacks and brown/yellow. 2 whites. Ive found a total of 983 so far, been a pretty darn good year for me. I freeze them so I can eat them all year.

02-May-14
You better stay off that government land. Lol

04-May-14

Doug's embedded Photo
Doug's embedded Photo
I found about 20 yesterday. Some of them were pretty big.

• Sitka Gear