Rooster 22-Apr-14
steve 23-Apr-14
bigbuckbob 23-Apr-14
airrow 23-Apr-14
CTCrow 23-Apr-14
Langbow 24-Apr-14
CTCrow 24-Apr-14
22-Apr-14
There are tags limits in place in CT. Sunday hunting should not have a dramatic impact on increasing harvest rates.

22-Apr-14
To all the hunters that are clamoring there are too few deer but still want Sunday hunting

At best that's a bit of a selective distortion. I have seen a number of hunters express concerns over a steady decline in deer numbers. I have seen some express cogent theses for reversing the trend and continuing responsible stewardship. As alluded to by Bloodtrail that aim and Sunday Hunting are not mutually exclusive.

it is important to see the impact of the despicable conduct of a few hunters in Redding.

I think it's more important to get to the bottom of what's going on in Redding than to arbitrarily toss out ad hominems like jellybeans at Easter.

As a result, organizations like the CCLD are turning against hunters.

So what you're saying is the actions of "a few hunters in Redding" has caused some organizations to turn against the other 99.99997% of hunters. By all means let's make sure we punish the majority for the actions of a minority. "Taking my ball and going home" and other petulant responses come readily to mind.....

However, recently local sport hunters have claimed that deer numbers are too low for them (at the current levels of around 40 deer per square mile) and therefore they are unlikely to be motivated to help reduce deer populations any further.

Refresh my memory; your PhD. in Psychology was conferred by what esteemed Hall of Higher Learning? Or do you have a good connection with Baba Yogi and her magic ouija board? I am not seeing much evidence you can devine anyone's motivations, and perhaps aren't entirely clear on your own.

You guys have followed your leader right off a cliff.

I think you're over the limit on use of hyperbole.

All to save 25 deer.

Responsible stewardship is not predicated upon anyone's arbitrary number(s).

The sitcom line-up for the fall will be posted soon. Grab your beer and your remote.

Why wait for fall? I'm sure you'll have another equally side-splitting post shortly.

FYI, I'm more of a Coke Zero man myself.....

22-Apr-14
Don't feed the troll

22-Apr-14
"Achieve deer populations low enough to prevent the breeding of deer ticks and allow recovery of natural areas." There's some science for ya. Must be somewhere around 10 deer per square mile where I hunt and get relentlessly hammered by ticks all the time.

Badly affected communities like redding have had an astounding reported 10 possible cases of lyme disease per year. If only that number can be reduced to 8 per year you can claim to have made a 20% reduction in actual reported cases of this terrible epidemic with the implementation of illegal, negligent, and unethical killing of deer, while at the same time making the number of actual hunters go down to zero per acre, which seems to make you very happy. Oh and some money in the pocket.

Deer populations can double in a few years under ideal habitat conditions such as the ones the residents of redding provide. So is future maintenance of scientifically acceptable deer population restrictions something that should be done by hunters or by taxpayers? Got your ducks lined up?

Goodbye

22-Apr-14
lymefree,

it seems that others know who you are and what you're about, but I don't and would love to know - what's the point you're trying to make with your posts on this site? Can you let me know where you're coming from? Are you for hunting or against it? Do you hunt? Are looking to expand hunting, or reduce or eliminate it? Thanks.

22-Apr-14
BBB This should give you a good foundation to build on. Sounds like "lymefree" is pissed that his dream of wiping out the deer Redding is no longer wet.

REDDING BOARD OF SELECTMEN MEETING August 17, 2009

5. Dave Streit, Town representative to the Fairfield County Deer Management Alliance, made comments and requests regarding deer management in Redding. He asked that the Board of Selectmen endorse the findings on deer-density related problems in the 2008 Town Plan of Conservation and Development. After some discussion, the following motion was made.

Motion: move that the Redding Board of Selectmen formally adopt the findings of the Town Plan of Conservation and Development that effective management to reduce deer density to a level of 10-12 per square mile is essential to public health and safety to reduce the incidence of Lyme disease, to protect the understory of our open spaces, forests and yards, and to reduce or control the number of deer related motor vehicle accidents. Miller, Ketcham. Approved. Unanimous.

Redding Planning Commission P.O. Box 1028 Redding Center, Connecticut 06875-1028

MINUTES

Tuesday, March 9, 2010 Old Town House – 7:30 p.m.

ADDENDUM TO AGENDA Request from David Streit. Discussion regarding help from the Department of Environmental Protection and the Department of Public Health to reduce deer levels to the Town’s goals.

D. Streit reported on the present deer population and the goal of 10-12 deer per square mile. Mr. Streit will draft a letter to be reviewed by the Commission at the next meeting requesting the DEP to make a presentation regarding a plan designed to reduce the deer population to the desired level of 10-12 per square mile.

The informational pamphlet will be sent out with the next tax bills.

REDDING BOARD OF SELECTMEN MEETING Minutes January 10, 2011

Dave Streit, the Redding representative for the Fairfield County Municipal Deer Management Alliance, suggested the DEP (Department of Environmental Protection) be asked to assist with the deer management program. The DEP provides a variety of services that are available at no cost to the Town. Mrs. Ketcham added that Steve Patton of the Nature Conservancy also supports requesting support from the DEP. Mr. Streit commented partnering with the state agencies was beneficial to the Town. He asked the Board of Selectmen to formally request assistance from the DEP.

PARK AND RECREATION COMMISSION REGULAR MEETING MINUTES Monday, February 28, 2011

DEER HUNTING AT TOPSTONE PARK’ David Streit of the Fairfield County Municipal Deer Management Alliance addressed the Commission regarding allowed controlled deer hunting at Topstone Park. Mr. Streit would like to begin the application process with the DEP to allow limited deer hunting on the town-owned property. The hunting would be limited to specific times of year, and for two hours after sunset and two hours before sun up. The Board of Selectmen asked the Park and Recreation Commission for their thoughts and input on the subject. Mr. Streit indicated another benefit of the DEP approved process is that the DEP will have grant money to gather and study tick data and study the understory of the Park. Mr. Streit indicated that a letter to DEP is required from the property owner (Town) for approval of a controlled hunt. The Commission would have to send a letter to the Selectmen recommending a controlled hunt program.

Following a long discussion, Commission members were in favor of the program concept.

Motion: move that the Park and Recreation Commission recommend to the Board of Selectmen the approval of the DEP deer hunt program at Topstone Park, allowing a maximum of five hunters within specific time frame to be determined. Dorenbosch, LeBlanc. Approved. Unanimous.

The informational pamphlet will be sent out with the next tax bills.

23-Apr-14
So kill the deer and get the money !! Pretty tricky .And the dummy's in the town fell for it .

23-Apr-14
Rooster,

thanks for filling me in. It sounds like Dave has an approach to the problem that is self serving and has very little to do with sport hunting. I understand his posts very clearly now.

23-Apr-14
Here is an article that looks to sum up the Lyme agenda - Redding, CT., New First Selectman Julia Pemberton is spending a lot more time with David Streit ( Chairman of - Fairfield County Deer Management Alliance and the primary in - Be Safe Redding.Org. ). It would seem that the " Program " derived in 2009 and initiated in 2012 / 2013 as the CDC ITM tick study, and run by the Connecticut agriculture experiment station ( CAES ) has hit a few snags lately. Killing ( 250 + ) deer may take a little longer to do than anticipated. But with the fraudulently applied for and recently received CDC grant of $900,000, all of us get to share in the cost. The " Program ", which is little more than a slick way to kill ( 250 + ) deer in the town of Redding, Ct. under the disguise of the CDC ITM tick study. Just tell the residents that the deer are the cause of Lyme disease enough times until they start to believe it. Redding had ( 8 ) cases of reported Lyme in 2010 and (10 ) cases in both 2011 and 2012, hardly an epidemic. Next you have to find a way to conduct the extermination without anyone else finding out what you are doing. Find ( 9 + ) private land owners that will let you conduct a tick study on their property, to fend off the coming Lyme disease epidemic. By using private land owners town officials do not have to inform the unsuspecting public what they are doing, ( no public hearing or public notification, etc. ). If you use public / town owed property town officials would have to notify the public. Now you have to find an exterminator to kill the deer and the town of Redding, CT. and CAES chose to use their long time friend, the ** " Sharp Shoot " Company - White Buffalo who charged $1,147 + per deer. Now $1,147 + might sound like a lot of money to kill ( 1 ) deer but one only has to look at one definition of " Sharp Shoot " to understand Why ? ** " Sharp Shoot " - " A person who engages in short-term business dealings with the purpose of making a large, quick profit without regard to scruple ". First selectman Julia Pemberton and " The Program " coordinator David Streit forgot to explain to White Buffalo that they could only shoot deer located on the private property, that they actually had written permission for. White Buffalo, Inc. ( operating at night ) proceeded to shoot from " their truck " on private property at deer that where on both land trust and town owned properties of Redding, Ct. Unfortunate for White Buffalo is the fact that each deer killed on the town owned property ( which they did not have written permission for ) come with a heavy fine of $500 +. White Buffalo was very successful on this property where they killed ( 16 ) deer x $500 = approximately $8,000 +. White Buffalo used a second Redding property that had given the town permission for the ITM study, but the property was outside of the ITM one square mile test area by ( 1/8 + mile ), so the special permit issued by CT. DEEP was invalid for the property. White Buffalo killed ( 4 ) deer on this property. It looks like the State of Connecticut DEEP and / or the CDC may be getting back quite a bit of the money they paid White Buffalo when you consider that they worked from ( 9 ) different locations in town.

23-Apr-14
Thanks Slyme,

Can you give us a link of the press article you are refering to?

Can you give us a link to the environmental committee's written or oral testimony from CCELD?

I'm laughing my ass off at your post. You mentioned the CCELD as if they were a big deal. I visited their website and they mention the thick bill in their legislature page. They are supporting House Bill 5852. That bill was a 2008 bill. Their last update to their front page was in 4/6/08.

They are irrelevant; The press doesn't even know they exist. NOBODY WILL BE CALLING THEM FOR THEIR OPINION ANYTIME SOON.

24-Apr-14
Any news on the bill? When does the session end?

24-Apr-14
Session ends may 7th. Hasn't been called yet.

• Sitka Gear