hawk-eye 17-May-14
DCNOE 17-May-14
Rut Nut 20-May-14
roger 20-May-14
Dave G. 20-May-14
roger 20-May-14
Bogey 20-May-14
22-Apr-14
I'll have my son out on his first turkey hunt with his bow Sat morning. If he's lucky enough to get it done early my daughter will get next crack at her 3rd bird with a bow in 3 years. If not she'll have to wait for Sunday in NY. Who else is heading out? Good luck to all!

22-Apr-14
Junior's 13 and we'll be out Saturday.......He's pumped. :) I get excited for him. There weren't any turkeys in Lawrence county when I was his age and didn't know a soul who'd ever hunted one. Today there isn't a patch of timber that doesn't house some birds. We have a lot to be thankful for in some smart folks belonging to organizations that have great vision and aren't afraid to work........We thank them. :)

26-Apr-14
I am taking my 8yr old out on his and my first hunt Sunday. Hog hunting. If he likes hunting I am going to start looking for a new bow for him. I know he's to young to hunt but some people were telling me I can take him on a Mentored Hunt. Where he can actually kill the animal with my tag? I'm going to look more into.

We stopped at Dick's today and he was begging me to get him a Bear Apprentice 2 lol. He makes me want to get even more into it just seeing how excited/happy he gets when we talk about it.He actually wanted to setup a little mini archery range at home LOL. Still working on it we made the target now just need to clean out the garage to make some room to shoot.

Good luck everyone and enjoy the hunt!

26-Apr-14

roger's embedded Photo
roger's embedded Photo
He did it.....first one. :)

26-Apr-14
Nice!

26-Apr-14
Way to go guys!

26-Apr-14
Lil' Rog' strikes again!! Tell him I said congrats on his first gobbler!! I assume the full story will follow soon? (Hint, hint) ;)

27-Apr-14
Great job!

27-Apr-14
Thanks, guys......Jr' says thanks, as well. Sorry no story last night - I became about as sick with the flu in the afternoon as I've ever been in my life.....Yuck!

We had no time at all to scout out the co-op farm that we often hunt, but it holds birds every year and they generally end up in the fields at some point on most mornings. I guess we knew where we wanted to be, so we popped up a blind in the middle of the field and set out 3 decoys prior to first light. It had rained most of the day previous and it was kind of cold, so we didn't necessarily expect to hear any gobbling, which is precisely what happened......nothing.

At about a half hour after daylight we began making a series of calls maybe once every half hour; nothing too loud or long though. No action, no gobbling, and just two very distant shots were all there was until we hit the slate call at about 8:20am. I thought I heard a very distant gobble over the ridge and down the valley. We waited 5 mins and hit the call again when at least two gobblers fired back and we realized they were much closer this time. Jr' had his shotgun in hand and was resting the forearm on the rear window of the blind when a hen and 5 jakes appeared about 35 yards out.

I kinda find myself not having to give the boy as much instruction these days; he really is learning fast. He said "dad, I can't shoot, they're all bunched up", knowing the pattern at that distance might get them all with one shot. When the hen started to leave, obviously the flock of young gobblers were in tow, so I hit the call hoping that one might separate from the bunch. It sorta worked when one stood still as the other four moved forward about 10 ft. "There we go" was what Rog' muttered and a few seconds later he touched one off and the bird folded.........Man, that's an exciting moment!

We took lots of pic's and texted mom, Roy, gram' and a few others that would appreciate it all. :) Rog' was very interested in plucking and gutting the bird which we did in the back field when we got home......He did a great job at that too. Thanks again, folks.

27-Apr-14

roger's embedded Photo
roger's embedded Photo
The blind is in the background. I highly recommend these for kids, especially the younger mentored ones. It keeps them warm and dry, and makes it easy to take a nap if need be. We kind of need to think in terms of what's best for kids and not so much what we prefer for ourselves.

27-Apr-14
Congrats! Had a great hunt myself. My 9yr old missed a jake with the bow and after that we called in 9 different longbeards to less than 50 yards. Had 3 of them on the decoys at 10 yards but when he drew they stepped off to about 13 yards and he says "dad, he's too far I'm going to pass". He's only been practicing out to 10 with the bullheads. I'm proud of his good decision. He had baseball so I swapped him out for my daughter and we headed to another property. Within 30 minutes I had 3 more longbeards at 15 yards but there were some saplings in the way so she passed on her own. ..again, another good decision.

27-Apr-14

Mrs. Horsethief's embedded Photo
Mrs. Horsethief's embedded Photo
I'm taking Dan out next week.

27-Apr-14
Awesome

28-Apr-14
Nice- Congrats Roger! :)

28-Apr-14
Good Job Roger !

28-Apr-14
MD- sounds like you had a great morning too! And you're obviously teaching them right- always good to hear the young ones are showing restraint and good judgement! ;-)

28-Apr-14
Thanks, Rut', Denny and everyone else.......Denny, he was every bit as excited as he was that morning he shot the deer with the bow down there at Roy's. Remember that one? LOL

29-Apr-14
Yes I do ! So happy 4 him it seems everything is going to easy 4 him ! hope it stays that way ! He is a really nice young Man, must take after his MOM ! LOL

29-Apr-14
He does!...lol!

29-Apr-14
That looks like my place Roger!

29-Apr-14
Huh, well, can I come back for deer season then? LOL!

30-Apr-14
Congrats to little Roger, looks like you have a great mentor. Man that smile says it all.

Mike

02-May-14
Yeah, I love seeing pics like that! :)

02-May-14
Danny and I have everything set up and the birds have been very vocal the past couple days. We w ill keep you posted.

03-May-14
Dan and I are in the blind, ready to go. Pitures coming after it gets light.

03-May-14
Gobbling. Coming closer,

03-May-14

horsethief51 's embedded Photo

03-May-14
Couple of deer chcked out the decoys. Birds are still a hundred yards away.

03-May-14

One shot about 7 15 far off. Got quiet.

03-May-14
8:15. Second shot heard off in the distance. Getting colder. Sprinkled twice already.

03-May-14

8:30. Filled our tags. Thet came right into our set up and started fighting. The Dan shot the first arrow. I shot a couple seconds later.

03-May-14

8:30. Filled our tags. Thet came right into our set up and started fighting. The Dan shot the first arrow. I shot a couple seconds later.

03-May-14
Congratulations Art and Dan, on a successful hunt! What a story, and great pics too!!

03-May-14
Dan's bird was 20#, 10 inch beard, 2 total inches of spurs. Mine was slightly smaller. His first bird ever.

03-May-14
Dan's bird was 20#, 10 inch beard, 2 total inches of spurs. Mine was slightly smaller. His first bird ever.

03-May-14
That's absolutely awesome, Art. Congrats to both of you. Bowhunting turkeys is thrilling, not sure why more hunting archers don't try it. :)

03-May-14
Way to go!!!!!! What kind of broadheads you guys using Art?? Man that's great!

03-May-14
Sharp ones.

03-May-14
Art, that's not code for "Rage", is it? :)

03-May-14
How did you know? (:^)

03-May-14

It was an exciting morning. I took the portable Wi-Fi with us so I could post from the woods. It was like something you see on TV. Back at the house I said I wonder how many times they have to go hunting to get this to happen like it did, and we did it on our first try.

Dan set up the strutting gobbler decoy looking towards the blind at 18 yards. The submissive hen was between us. I had been outside the blind taking a bio-break and I had made a loud call on the diaphragm call. The birds we heard earlier never left the hollow they were in that morning.

When I got back inside I scratched my slate call once. A hen appeared about 100 yards in front of us walking left to right with a jake hot on her tail. The 2 long beards were next. Dan's bird was strutting and the other one was walking. I did a soft purr on the HS Strutt slate call and the big toms looked over and spied the decoys. The big one strutted in about half way and the other guy sprinted to catch up. They both got to the decoys at the same time. One took a swipe at the decoy then they started fighting over it. Dan's bird faced away and he shot. I was surprised they didn't fly away, then shot the second bird.

I knew it could work but I am still pretty amazed. Just like that, we were done for the morning. One of the greatest experiences I have ever had. When we were butchering the birds we agreed that they would be on the menu at the UBP campout this summer. Stuff like this is twice the fun when you take a kid hunting. (He is 10 years younger than me).

03-May-14
We are convinced that those birds would have ignored a single hen decoy. It was the strutting tom that pulled them in once they got a look at him.

03-May-14

03-May-14
Art, the decoys that I had set for lil' Rog's bird were three jakes placed in a triangle. They are just the cheap foam type, but you can clearly see the red/white/blue heads. When I started hunting turkeys 20 odd years ago the "old timers" said not to use jake or gobbler dekes as they would surely intimidate and scare off other gobblers.........They were dead wrong. I find them better than hen imitations.

When I used to shoot gobblers from the blind with the bow, I would plant my set about 10 yards from the windows. We've had birds gobbling for three hours at a time, but refused to enter the fields for whatever reason. Given enough time they'll often let curiosity get the best of them and then commit.........I think what you guys experienced is fantastic. :)

03-May-14
Soooooo Art...... you've been successful on obtaining your own 'Pa Triple Trophy' then haven't you ?!?!?

Congrats Art!! It's well deserved!

03-May-14
Great job Art and Dan.

Mike

04-May-14
That is correct Dale. Plus a coyote. (Just not all with a bow) Thanks guys. I will going after my next bird with the bow the rest of the season.

04-May-14
Are you off this week, Dale?

04-May-14
You mean work dontcha~(8o) Yes I'm on vacation as of 7 am today!

04-May-14
Nice birds Art - Congratulations to both of you. Pretty tough to pull off a double on these smart Pa. birds - great accomplishment!

05-May-14
Go get him Dale. I will be looking for a late morning bird I have been seeing/hearing across the road.

05-May-14
WAY TO GO, GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

WOW! 2 birds on 2 shots! A buddy and I did that one year with the guns, but with the bows that has to be THAT much harder! WAY TO GO! Thanks for sharing the pics and story. :)

I know what you mean..................sitting side by side with a good buddy and taking birds seconds apart..................doesn;t get any better than that! :)

05-May-14

Bogey's embedded Photo
Bogey's embedded Photo
Took a friends son out the first sat and he connected on this jake!! It was his first big game kill and he was pumped, almost as much as me. The kid is dying to get a bow, wish I had an extra. This hunt was as rewarding as any.

06-May-14
Bogey, congrats!!

07-May-14
I took my 8 year old out.He's a little too small to kill one with a bow but we had an awesome hunt.I called an aggressive hen in that pinned us down in a bad spot.About 30 minutes later two mature birds came in gobbling but we were in such a bad spot that he had a tough time getting a shot.Eventually one strutted into an opening and he killed it.Best turkey hunt of my life.

07-May-14
Doug. Pics??? You're permitted to brag!! Congrats dude and to the youngin!

07-May-14
I tried to take some on my phone but I have a flip phone and couldn't get it to work.My daughter took one on her iphone and texted it to me.It shows up but gives me a fit every time I try to text it.I texted one to Mike Foust but I'm not sure if he got it or not.

It was an awesome hunt that truthfully,I wasn't sure if he'd be able to pull off or not.He continues to amaze me the more we hunt with both his enthusiasm and ability to make it happen.There's nothing in the world that compares to sharing the woods with kid that you know wants to be there more than any other place.I'm not a very emotional guy but I get choked up every time I look back at all of our hunts from the past couple of years.This one cost me close to $600 because he's starting to make his room into a hunting room.Money well spent.

07-May-14
Congrats, guys! :)

12-May-14
Hey Bogey, did I see that pic on PA Outdoor Life yesterday?! (People and Places segment? ;-)

13-May-14

Cheque's MOBILE embedded Photo
Cheque's MOBILE embedded Photo

Took my 15 yr old brother-in-law out on junior day and he shot his first turkey. I took him out twice last year but it never quite worked out but it all came together this year. I got him started archery hunting last year too. I'm determined to save him from his family of lead-spraying rifle-only hunters and I think it's working=)

13-May-14
LOL! :) Way to go, Ja! Tell him congrats!

14-May-14
Yep, he was on that show the week before for a mentoured youth hunt with one of his school teachers. we are trading autographs for deer jerky:)

14-May-14
LOL! Yeah, that's what I thought they said, but I missed that episode the week before.

Thats one fortunate youth to have a couple good mentors like you guys! Way to go! : )

15-May-14
Hey fellas anyone know a good turkey hunting spot close to Philly? I have off this monday and tuesday and am thinking of giving it a try. You all seem to be having so much fun at it I can't resist!

Congrats to everyone too!

Hey Bogey is he left or right handed?

15-May-14
Sorry Chris, I'm on the complete opposite end of the state or I'd take ya'!........I'm betting one of the regulars here would like to take ya' out and show you the ropes though.......(hint, hint) :)

15-May-14
He is right handed.

Wish i could help but Don't know my way around Philly!

16-May-14
Chris- wait til you yelp on a box or slate call and get your first response from a Gobbler- nothing like it! :)

Never hunted down near Philly, so I can;t help either. And I have to work next week.

But if you're interested in a backcountry hunt up above Williamsport the last week, let me know. I plan to hike up into the mountains 3-4 miles from the nearest road and set up camp. Then turkey huntin' and trout fishing for a couple/3 days. You're welcome to come along- so far it's just me. I have a spare 1 man tent and all the camping gear- you'd just need clothes and hunting/fishing gear.

17-May-14
the fish always bite on Slate Run

17-May-14
Nockamixon state park has plenty of birds and is probably closet state land I know in the philly area. Just north of doylestown about an hour from you. Because there is limited public access areas in this area it does get a fair amount pressure. Weekdays generally are less hunters. Have to agree the first response gobbles to your call will send shivers up your spine. Good luck if you get out.

20-May-14
LOL! That's what it's all about! :) Thanks for sharing.

20-May-14
:)

20-May-14
Lily's an absolute sweetheart. You've got a great hunting partner there.

20-May-14
Justin, I feel the same way and understand where your at. Mine's 13 and every time he experiences something, I instantly remember what it felt like for me at that age.......30+ years ago. It's like a free trip back in time that most others just don't get to take. It makes me wonder who gets more out of the deal, me or him?. I'm at the age where I feel and know I should be giving back, so that's what gets done, but the unexpected reward for it is far beyond any reasonable expectations........Look forward to hearing more about you and yours. :)

20-May-14
Ha, looks like a blast! My oldest girl will be the same age next spring and I hope to take her. She has been asking to go this year and I'm sure she would do fine, but I'm not sure how she would react if I actually shot one.

You are going to have to start target shooting with her laying on your lap! Could be a tuff shot:-)

• Sitka Gear