New York
Contributors to this thread:
upstatearcher 23-Apr-14
jw 23-Apr-14
archer756 23-Apr-14
Nyswitchback 26-Apr-14
Jax 1 27-Apr-14
23-Apr-14
What is everyone experience with small food plots?

The property I have is full of brush and apples which is all surrounded by big corn fields. I am looking to make a little pit stop area for the deer before the head out to the big fields and/or something for them after the corn is cut. I have once clearing about 3/4 of an acre.

I was thinking a mix with corn and soybeans. I know they hammer the soy beans early but will they have them picked clean before the season opens?

23-Apr-14
IMO they will have corn & beans cleaned before mid summer if you can get them to grow at all. Think maybe brassica or turnips might be a try as they take less attendance to grow well and appeal to deer better once cold weather comes, maybe even a "forage" oats product that is planted later in the summer stands a chance to grow before they eat it. If there is a high population of deer it will be tough to grow others. You could always fence it in until just before season but that takes more time and money.

23-Apr-14
Call your local QDM and get answer to your questions

26-Apr-14
Definitely no on the corn soybean mix in such a small plot. Any brassica mix or fall mix will do. Besides corn is expensive to do it right

27-Apr-14
I have heard a guy near where I live plants pumpkins . It kind of makes sense I guess .

• Sitka Gear