Joe The Teacher 18-May-14
roger 19-May-14
roger 19-May-14
PA_archer1 19-May-14
Valley Scout 23-May-14
28-Apr-14

PA_archer1's embedded Photo
Hey guys. So as most of you know yesterday was my first ever hunt, along with my sons. I apologize in advance this post may be a bit long.

So Saturday night I was getting everything ready for the hunt when my girl called...her car broke down. She bartends downtown so I knew this wasn't good. I hopped in my truck and drove her to work @ around 10pm. My cooler was filled with ice, sprayed clothes down w/permethrin and was double checking to make sure I had all my gear. I got home and went to sleep @ 11pm, woke up at 2am to pick her up and got back around 3am...I couldn't fall back asleep I was so anxious so I laid in bed until 430am and woke my son up and got going.

The ride up was about 2 1/2hrs my son and I had some nice talks and I taught him how to ask truckers to honk there horns LOL, he must of hit every truck the way up!

We get to the hunting area and start to get everything ready. I'm not nervous at all at this point. We get taken out by quad which my son loved.

Now for the hunt. We're in the tree stand and FIRST mistake I made, I was putting my broadheads onto my arrows just then. I was having trouble with a GR Hades not screwing in correctly. About 1hr in I hear some yelling, we thought someone was hurt. 2min. later Bill from B&A Archery and one of his guys get my attention and say get down here now! Instantly I put my 3 BH arrows in the quiver and head down with my son, starting to get nervous now. We get down where Bill is and there's a group of 5 hogs approx. 30 yards away. Bill directs me where to go and approx. how many yards I am away from the hogs.

I nock my first arrow and begin to single out 1 hog....I line up my shot directly behind and above the shoulder...follow the hog a couple more feet and WHAM I let go. My son says, Dad you got him!! BUT my arrow hit about 6" high. Luckely not hitting the spine or anything but I know the hog is in pain and I want to end it quick and humane. I quickly nock another arrow, aim and this time I take into account the hog is downhill and WHAM....I totally miss, arrow went right under the hog.

Now my nerves really got me, I don't want the hog suffering. I nock my 3rd and last arrow. I try to calm down but am nervous as hell now. I follow the hog about 10 yards, draw my bow, the hog is walking and I follow with my pin right on the sweet spot....she starts to slow down, I'm lined up perfect now...WHAM I release.....right into a TREE!! Now my nerves are overloaded I have to get another broadhead attached to my arrow and quick!

Bill's guy hands me an arrow with a 2 blade Rage. Bill tells me take a deep breath, slow my mind down and finish this. The hog takes off running so I begin the chase. I follow her downhill about 40 yards, I'm right behind the hog with no shot. This is where I realize I need to take a moment and calm myself, and make sure this next shot is the last.

I say a quick prayer and ask God to take this arrow to where it needs to go so this hog no longer suffers. The hog slows down now, I nock the arrow w/the rage and quietly follow waiting for the perfect shot. The hog suddenly makes a turn left slowly, exposing it's side. I close my eyes, take a deep breath to settle my nerves. My hands are much more clam now. I draw the bow, line up my shot and....WHAM the arrow goes exactly where it needed to! The hog didn't take 5 more steps before it fell in it's tracks. My son, Bill and his guy were right behind me now. I started to put together another arrow just in case the hog wasn't dead yet. Bill walked over and said he's done, nice shoot btw let them know you got another one up the road they have to bring in....that tree LOL!!

I have to say what a rush it was! I do wish I had a rangefinder to help me more and I will have one for my next hunt no matter what.

I realize the mistakes I did make, and know now what to NOT do next time. But for my first hunt I loved it, and my son he REALLY loved it!

To top it all off my son and I got the biggest hog of the day! I couldn't believe it! I would never have been able to do it without Bill and Elroy-the guy who gave me that last arrow. Much thanks go out to those 2 great guys.

After we were finished we went back to camp to get some pictures of the hog and us. We got some really nice pictures too. Oh and the hog could not fit into my 150qt cooler, I had to go find a plastic tote it was just huge! I wanted to watch and learn how to skin and gut an animal so we went down to the shack. I was suprised my son was totally ok with everything. He now wants a new bow so he can shoot it next time.

Can't wait to get out on the next hunt! -Chris

As for that yelling we heard in the beginning. Turns out another guy who had a crossbow took a shot at a hog but left his thumb up to high and the crossbow cable almost severed his thumb. He got his hog though. Had to get taken to the hospital and have the tip of his thumb sown back on. Luckily no nerve damage and no one else was seriously injured.

BTW that Rage 2 blade left a seriously huge hole compared to the Grim Reaper Hades. Think I am switching to those for the future.

28-Apr-14

28-Apr-14
Well! How about them apples! Way to go Chris it will be enjoyable to feast upon..... lots O'sausage in that puppy! You did it bro, mebbe not perfect but you did it.

I gotta ask... why did you take the broadheads off the shafts???

Your arrows not hitting the same spot isn't a range finder issue, nor is it a broadhead issue. Chris, you need to shoot those broadheads a hundred times maybe 200 to get consistent. My friends are shooting broadheads in June- 3-4 months before season shooting everyday. I spend the last month every night shooting b-heads out of my trad stuff.

Ok you did it - no we can help you get ready for deer season. Lets get you a better bow to start with. Deer wont let you walk up to 30 yds so you'll need to be at the top of your game!

Congrats man!

28-Apr-14
Thanks Dale, definitely not perfect, not even close. But I got the first time jitters out of me (hopefully.)

I do agree with practicing with the broadheads a lot. I think one of my issues was not knowing how far away the hog was. My first shot was approx. 25 yards and my second over 30 yards, if I had known it was over 20 I would have waited to get closer or used my 30 yard pin. IMO if I had a rangefinder I could get a rough estimate pretty fast and be able to take a much better shot. The hog was also slightly downhill so it seemed much closer to me.

I know the arrows not hitting the right spot was all me, lacking the knowledge of estimating distance and being anxious played the main part.

Also Dale I sprung for that PSE Drive....hope I made the right choice...we'll find out this weekend I guess

28-Apr-14
Chris, congrats, one way and a couple others, ya' got it done. LOL.

Ok, you made some mistakes, we all do that and some of us have made the same one's you have......We learn. When you get serious this summer and sounds like your planning on a new bow, we can work on you broadhead tuning your bow so that field points and hunting heads impact the same mark. Btw, I got those wrenches in the mail to ya', sorry so late.

I don't know where this thread is going to go Chris, because some folks can get downright nasty when stuff happens, but don't let any of it deter you......Stay on the path. :)

28-Apr-14
Way to go, Chris! Hey, you "put the meat on the ground"- that's the main thing! As you get better and more "seasoned" as a bowhunter, things will come naturally.

LIke Dale and Roger said, practice with those broadheads. And if you get a range finder, I would use it to practice and develop your range estimation skills. In other words, when you are up in a tree or out practicing, pick objects and estimate their yardage, THEN use the rangefinder to see how close you are. Do this over and over until you get better. This is what helped me the most, over the years. I had a terrible time estimating yardage years ago. Now it is usually not an issue. First thing I do when I get up in my tree is range a 20y and 30y "circle" around my stand. Usually after a couple hunts, I can just see it in my mind's eye as I look out from my stand. I don't even bother getting it(rangefinder) out when a deer is approaching. Too many things to concentrate on. I just wait til it gets within that 30 or 20 yard circle and then aim accordingly.

Oh, and when I saw that second pic with all the blood, I had a feeling that was a RAGE kill! ;-)

Congrats again! :)

28-Apr-14
Thanks Roger. It was a great time. From when I took the first shot to the last it was only about maybe 2 or 3 mins. but if felt like a lifetime.

I'm glad I had the experience though. It gave me a lot of knowledge in hunting including what to and not to do. I know I'm not an expert but I'm learning.

I'm paying for the bow now so I can start practicing right away. But I already have some things I want to get after the bow to help improve my hunting.

And believe me whatever broadhead I use I will have 6 arrows all ready to go in my quiver the day BEFORE lol. With how great the Rage worked I think I am going to use them next time. Next paycheck I'm going to pick up a pack with a practice broadhead so EVERY time I go to the range I can practice with it.

I also have to modify my back quiver. The opening is to big allowing the arrows to move around a lot and if they slide to the opposite side can be hard to reach. I'm going to sow the opening closed a little more then halfway. I'm also going to ad some hard styrofoam to the bottom to hold the broadheads properly.

I do plan on going deer hunting this year so I'll be practicing EVERY week, especially now that I have a target at home I'll be shooting just about every day.

28-Apr-14
Well, good for you pal. One thing, if you go with mech heads then a back quiver will not work. Inserting then extracting the arrows from one with mechanicals will most assuredly deploy the blades before they ever see the light of day. You'll need a quiver specially designed for them and the quickest, cheapest, most durable one that I can think of is the Quickee Kwiver, which can be converted to a hip quiver.......more on that later.

28-Apr-14
Hey Roger what if I use those braces rubber bands on the mech heads? I have read a lot of people use those braces rubber bands to keep the Rages closed? My only question is do they shoot them with the rubber band still on, or take it off right before? I was thinking the Rage should be able to cut through the rubber band but don't know.

I check out that Quickee Kwiver to thanks.

29-Apr-14
Way to go Chris. This is a journey. Enjoy the ride even though there will be bumps along the way.

It was great that you had your son along to share this with.

29-Apr-14
Chris- I use the Rage heads. That rubber band doesn't actually go on the outside of the blades. It stays on the inside around the ferrule (main body) of the head. THe blades on the head are rear deploying, meaning they swing out and forward when deployed(Not out and back). The rubber o-ring fits in a groove on the inside(dull side) of the deploying blade. Once it releases the blade it stays on the BH and sometimes rolls back down the shaft as it passes thru the deer. If it contacts bone or rib it can get cut off.

I would not use a back quiver like Roger suggests. You need to be very careful how you handle/secure those rage heads so they don;t deploy early. And make sure you get a rage compatible quiver. Not all quivers will accept RAGE heads. If you want to know what I use, send me a PM. It is probably a little more $$(56?) than the Quikee, but works well with RAGE. Not sure if Quikee works with Rage? It might, just not sure.

As Phil said, it is a journey! you will make mistakes along the way. But you will learn every year. I have been bowhunting over 20 years and learn things every season! Just when you think you have "seen it all", something will happen and you will learn from it. ;-)

29-Apr-14
There is a specific Quikee model designed for all mech heads and I highly recommend it for all broadhead types. I'll post a pic tonight of mine.

07-May-14
I just moved my 8 year old son up to a bigger bow.I have a nice Diamond nuclear ice all set up that would fit your little man perfectly.If you want it,it's all yours.

10-May-14
Hey dougell thanks for the offer, I would definitely be interested. I'll PM you.

10-May-14
Nice Doug. Good guy there Chris......

11-May-14
Congrats Chris, learn from each experience,it's defiantly a learning process especially when you start hunting deer. Be patient. You will not be able to get away with much movement when a deer is close to you. Rut makes a good point in that if your planning on using a range finder for deer it's best to range your spots you want to shoot to (maximum effective shooting range) well ahead of time because when a deer shows up at 20-30 yards you will not be able to pull out a range finder range it and get a bow ready for a shot in a tree stand. Deer will not put up with that.

Good luck

Mike

11-May-14
Thanks treerat, that was my thoughts also. To range a few solid targets like a tree, Bush, ect... so I know how far 10yds, 20yds and 30yds are away from where I'm setup before the deer are anywhere near me.

I'm thinking of using a ground blind at the 5c UBP hunt also. I thinkit would be a much better time for my son...hopefully I can ccamouflage the blind good enough so it won't spoke the deer.

11-May-14
Oh I forgot to mention I'll be sending my membership application in to the UBP this week. All you guys have been and continue to be so helpful I'm honored to become a member. I'd also like to have my son become a member of possible. I look forward to meeting some fellow UBPers at upcoming events!

11-May-14
Hey Doug PM sent

12-May-14
That sounds good, Chris. Look forward to meeting you in the future. Check out our summer campout- that's alot of fun too! :)

12-May-14
Chris,just pick up a youth release and I'll have it out to you shortly.Find some 3-d shoots to take him to and make a day out of it.Once he develops an appreciation for being out there,you'll be all set.There's absolutely nothing like sharing the woods with an enthusiastic kid.

13-May-14
I just want to say Thanks again to Doug for the bow, really great guy. And to everyone else on this site, you guys have already helped me a lot and continue to. Thanks to Dale for recommending me here as well!

I know this is a little off topic, in regards to the mentored hunt program. Once my son gets the new bow and starts practicing I'm not sure he will be ready for bow hunting by this fall. Meaning the weight he will be able to pull may not be enough to do the job. I'm going to be taking him to the range as much as possible and look into becoming a member at Wapiti as Bob suggested. But I don't want to rush him into pulling more weight then he can handle and wind up him getting hurt. I'm just going to let him increase his DW naturally as he's comfortable with it. We are still going to go to the 5C camp out and hunt though.

What would you guys recommend as a good starter hunting rifle for an 8yo? He has a Remington 1022 Takedown and he has shot before but I am not sure what a good caliber hunting rifle would be good for him? I have an old Mosin Nagant I was going to use myself but I like now more :) but if he's not quite ready to bite hunt u was thinking I could take him rifle hunting this year, by next year he should definitely be ready to bow hunt.

I know this is a strictly bow hunting forum I apologize for asking this question here but I know you guys are extremely knowledgeable hunters and I want to ask you guys as opposed to some random rifle hunting forum. If this question needs to be removed I will do so without a problem or maybe if anyone had any suggestions you could PM me with them to keep it strictly bow talk from here on out.

Thanks, Chris

13-May-14
Sorry double post.

14-May-14
Nice Doug! :)

Chris- PM sent.

14-May-14
Chris,My son is an average sized kid.The day after he was born,I bought him a Kimber Montanna in .308 but it was way too much for him at first.For his 7th birthday,I bought him a rem model 7 in .243 and loaded it down a little.I made him shoot about 2k rounds of rimfire that year and about 200 rounds with that .243 all from field positions at deer targets.You need to stress shot placement so it becomes a habit.3D shoots are great for that as well.This past year,he was 8 and I loaded that .243 pretty hot and he handled it just fine.About a month ago,I worked up a slightly reduced load for his .308 using 125 gr ballistic tips and he's shooting it good.Over the weekend,he dusted a woodchuck at a lazered 173 yards.

Start him off burning a lot of rimfire and get him a shooting stick that he can use both standing and sitting.I bought a bog pod and it works perfect for the way we hunt.Them move him up to something with more muzzle blast but not a lot of recoil.A .223 is perfect.Muzzle blast is more of an enemy with kids than recoil.We still hunt most of the time during rifle season.It looks like we're on an African safari.He carries the shooting stick and I carry his rifle.When we see a deer,I just hand him the rifle and he's on it.So far,he's killed 3 deer in their beds in the last two years.Kids are capable of being quiet,alert and moving slow.You don't have to stick them in a blind where they'll just get bored.There's so much to teach them when you still hunt,there's no way they can get bored and not have fun.

Your son won't be ready to hunt with a compound for a while.You need sufficient Kenetic energy and that's a combination of draw weight and draw length to get enough speed.Some kids can work up to a sufficient draw weight but if their draw length is too short,they just won't have the KE to get decent penetration.I'm not a crossbow fan but I did buy my son one for christmas because it's really the only way to get him out during archery season for the next year or two.I would have let him sit out archery season but he bugged the crap out of me so I folded like a deck of cards and bought one.If the kid wants to hunt,I'm taking him.I will say,he likes shooting his compound way more than shooting a crossbow.

Good luck and have fun.It's an awesome journey that everyone should experience.

14-May-14
Also,don't be in a hurry.He may or not be ready to hunt this year.However,you'd be surprised how much of a difference each year makes.Have fun and most important,teach him to have an appreciation for just being out there.Once he starts to get that,it will all come together.Make just being out there a year long mission that all comes together during hunting season.

Don't focus on the amount of game being seen and don't put any pressure on yourself or him.The preperation can be just as much fun as the actual hunt.Make him realize that.

14-May-14

roger's embedded Photo
roger's embedded Photo
Chris, your boy will need to pull at least 35# to be legal and that is sufficient to kill Whitetails. In fact here's a photo of my son's first bow kill and he was pulling about 37# or so. In so far as deer calibers that he can handle, the .243 and 7mm-08 are the two best I can think of - very little recoil and more than enough energy for quick kills. He'll need a youth model because they have shorter stocks to accommodate his stature.

14-May-14
That picture is priceless.

18-May-14
Great awesome story too! Very enjoyable!

19-May-14

roger's embedded Photo
roger's embedded Photo
We do a lot together, I suppose having common interests and other proclivities helps.......Had a blast last weekend on a local trout lake.

19-May-14
Oops. :)

19-May-14
LOL you guys can defy gravity! Nice pic, fine young man there. Can't wait to go hunting with my son again. Really can't wait to see the look on his face once the bow arrives!

23-May-14
I agree, you won't go wrong with a .243 win

congrats and just keep him shooting, you're right to not push to far too fast. He'll get where he needs to with the bow.

• Sitka Gear