Antler Whore 17-Jun-14
buckmaster69 24-Jun-14
SteveD 27-Jun-14
Zinger 27-Jun-14
Bloodtrail 27-Jun-14
NWO 27-Jun-14
Antler Whore 04-Jul-14
29-Apr-14
Why doesnt Wisconsin have a spring bear hunt?

There could be baiting in the spring and dogs first in fall every year.

I searched and could not find anyone else proposing this idea. maybe it's already been proposed?

29-Apr-14
I think the problem will be around eating the meat. Spring bears are not very edible

29-Apr-14
Bull- I've eaten black bear from Saskatchewan that was killed in spring.

Drop- that would work for me too.

29-Apr-14
Why would bait sitters get 2 seasons and dogs only 1? Bait in the spring and dogs in the fall.

29-Apr-14
How about bait sitters in the spring and the fall? :^)

I think Kevin does have a good idea and cannot believe it's never been proposed somewhere, sometime....

30-Apr-14
I like the idea also. Would ease compitition between bait sitters and houndsmen.

30-Apr-14
I have shot 2 spring bears. The first in Ontario way back when they had a spring season. The bear meat was horrible but we choked it down. Two years ago we went to SK for a spring hunt. In SK it is legal not to eat the spring bears because of all the toxins in them from hibernation.

Honest to God, we shot six bears. Skun them and laid their carcasses in a field side by side. They were untouched by ravens, coons, wolves, etc all week. The outfitter said the meat is so poor that the scavenger animals don't eat them. I couldn't believe it.

30-Apr-14
I'd much. Rather see a fall bait sit only season and. Create the spring hunt for dogs. Couple of Reasons

#1 dogs interference with bait hunters and giving them the spring would eliminate that for Better hunter relations with other bear hunters sitting bait and then grouse and bowhunters

#2 it's cooler in spring and much easier on dogs running miles. As opposed to 90 degrees and humid.

But there definitely are enough bears to run both seasons.

30-Apr-14
Wisconsin Spring archery bear season that's got a nice sound to it

30-Apr-14
A.H.

You have to condition the dogs in able for them to run those miles. It would be very difficult to get a hound in top form and condition in the winter. Let alone for pups to learn how to run a track when bears are denned up. That's why there is a training season starting in July. Bear hounds are athletes in the truest form.

30-Apr-14
A spring bear season just before the fawns drop would save a lot of Deer .

30-Apr-14
Train them hounds on coyotes and take a few out during the winter months, that will get them in shape.

30-Apr-14
We would be the only spring bear hunt east of the Mississippi, in fact I don't think there are many states that have spring bear hunts at all, so the demand for the tags would be huge. Non resident applications would increase 100 fold. Plus the Indians probably would oppose it because they think the bears are their brothers in spring or some or some other crap they would come up with.

30-Apr-14
Zinger, Native Americans would be a better choice of a word, and yes, not all natives but to the Bear Clan (more Western tribes than here) bears are looked at as a relation not just in Spring but year round. Lets leave the borderline prejudice comments out.

30-Apr-14
We hunted Ontario when they had the spring season. We always went the last full week of the season early to mid June. At that time the meat from several different bears was excellent! Don't know about anything from earlier in the season closer to coming out of hibernation.

30-Apr-14
NWO, no native American is not a better choice of words, for the most part we're all native Americans as we were all born here - same as the indians. They did not originate in North America so they are not "native" here.

You can't argue that the indians have been a major hurdle to both the wolf hunt (that they say they are brothers with) and the elk hunt (that they say they are allowed to kill regardless of the laws). My comments were not intended to be racist they were just saying what I believe would happen.

Can I say that walleyes are my "brothers" and then they wont spear them?

30-Apr-14
Why? Why even bring the prejudice comments up, the thread proposed is about a possible Spring bear hunt in Wisconsin, not what a very small group of Native Americans might think about it. Do you see any issues with the Native Americans with our current Fall WI bear hunt right now. There would be more non-native Americans opposing it than Native Americans. Its not what you say its how you say it.

30-Apr-14
Zinger …… + 1.

30-Apr-14
Back to the topic at hand-

Spring Bear Hunting in WI!

30-Apr-14
No they aren't complaining about the current fall season but I bet they would about a spring season. They have been against, or wanting special treatment, on everything possible in the last several years. That "very small" group of indians have been very efficient at getting their way and if they don't want it (or want to agree to it in exchange for something else) they have a way of getting it.

Stating facts is not racist, ignoring facts because it might offend someone is racist IMO.

30-Apr-14
Education is the key to understanding. Who do you think created the very foundation of Native American laws there rights and Government?

I have been and am on both sides of the coin, I have been educated through books, my wife, her relatives on the Ojibwe (Chippewa)culture (that is the one you are complaining about incase you didn't know). I also don't believe in some practices on both sides. It is very common for people to make comments, assumptions such as yours either because of the lack of education or they are copycat followers and repeat what they have heard without reason or knowing why. I have seen and felt first hand the racist and prejudice tone, So I do get offended and it hits a soft spot when I hear your tone in your context "Indian" "some other crap they would come up with" "special treatment". I will now excuse myself from this thread. P.S. I am not in favor of a Spring bear hunt, I just don't think they would taste as good.

30-Apr-14
If you think the wait is long for a bear permit now just wait till everyone from surounding states starts applying for a spring permit!

30-Apr-14
Wisconsin could limit the non-resident just like the western states do for big game hunting.

I still can't believe no one has proposed this before. I wonder if anyone in the legislature would sponsor this proposal?

30-Apr-14
Honesty I call them indian because naming all the tribes would be to long. I use it as a word that includes all of them. I don't subscribe to the term native american because we are all just as native as the rest. They have tried to stop the wolf hunt, shot elk illegally, and done other things to try to get their way. I'm not racist in the least, if it were Irish, Germans, Polish, whites, or any other people who were trying to interfere with our hunting I would be mentioning them also.

Yes we could limit non-residents but it would still increase the years one would wait for a permit.

30-Apr-14
Kevin…… I like that idea only so many non residents period. A separate draw from resident applications. Not the way they do it now. Not nuts about spring bear hunt ……. have to think about it a little more and try to keep a open mind. Zinger your not a racist at all. Everything you said I agree with.

30-Apr-14
You take bear dogs out of the fall woods.. you make tons of other hunters happy.. A spring dog running season is that common ground solution.

As far as non residents? Stop selling the application to them..

they also should incorporate land owner preferences as well so problem bears can be better hunted by the private lands the bear live within.

Today there is no method for a landowner to get rid of problem bears.... they must call the Dnr and ask for a trap.. get landowners a preference to take the bear .

Just me

30-Apr-14
NO NO NO NO!!!! Just a bad idea all around IMO. Already far to many small bear are shot. Now you want to put even smaller bear in the cross hairs. Won't surprise me at all to see new born cubs shot. Even just the number of yearlings taken would increase. Good way to reduce the population quickly killing more bears before breeding age. Guess that woudl be a win for some, as take numbers would increase due to lack of success.

Then when are you going to hold it? May? April surely a fools parade. Bear just coming out if they have yet like this year. Then not going to be hitting baits. Since they still need to unplug. So how is the average person going to be successful.

Then you are going to have the whole impact to the environment thing. Loggers stop logging this time of year. Why because it tears things up in the soft ground. So you want to add a bunch of vehicles trying to get around the woods in these soft conditions early on. Tearing the woods all to heck. Then move into May, when the fire danger normally becomes highest. There again you are going to have problems. Fires will be started by the increased traffic into the woods. I'm sure the DNR will just love that!!!

I would love to see some eat the meat from a bear that has yet to unplug. Or shortly after before their system has had a chance to lets say cleanse. The foods they eat to form these plugs are poisonous to us. So eat that meat, and see what happens!!!

I don't even want to start on the dog thing. What I read already has me ticked and ready to go off!! So I will leave it alone.

I got an even better idea. Since all are so concerned over hunting the majestic goats. How about a nice spring deer hunt!!!!! Then there will be less deer hunters stealing my cameras in the fall!

I will be my best dog. There will never be a spring hunt in WI for many reasons!!!!

01-May-14
Spring bear bait hunt for the resident bowhunting children and the elderly and wounded warriors sounds like an idea whose time has arrived Very controlled situation target boars and dry sows What an Outstanding idea

01-May-14
I shot one spring bear in Ontario years ago... it was practically inedible.

I much prefer the taste of speared pregnant female walleyes ;^)

01-May-14
I agree with Cheesehead Mike - first animal I shot with a bow, was a Pope and Young bear in Ontario, I got lucky....... I did my best, but the meat was only so so,,,,,,

I coninued on with spring hunts for awhile, no meat was wasted, some liked it. this was June hunting.... After that I just went to bait and fish for walleyes and enjoy the camp........

01-May-14
May 15- June 15 end the bear training BS and run hotel all winter for training and conditioning...

We have plenty of bears .. why not take advantage of it and spread the hunters out

I have heard the bear meat is bad on fall bears from hunters too.. that's not a issue... by mid May the have been eating fresh grasses for some time .. spring bear in Canada are shot within a few days out of the den

Why would more small bear be shot? That makes zero sense unless adding a spring dog season would put more unethical hunters in the woods.. I disagree with that argument no sane ethical hunter we be tagging cubs any more than present.

There should be massive support for this from the mighty WBHA seeing this is thee exact same reason they pushed X guns for bear and turkey and for the new inclusion in the archery season... they supported these ideas as it was "expanding opportunity" even though the issue had nothing to do with actual bear hunting..

If they supported that... how can they not support their very own dog running season where no other hunter could interfere with their dog hunt?

We have the bear... In fact they do not need to give out more tags right away.. just spread the hunters out! It's a no brainer. .IMHO

01-May-14
May 15- June 15 end the bear training BS and run hotel all winter for training and conditioning...

We have plenty of bears .. why not take advantage of it and spread the hunters out

I have heard the bear meat is bad on fall bears from hunters too.. that's not a issue... by mid May the have been eating fresh grasses for some time .. spring bear in Canada are shot within a few days out of the den

Why would more small bear be shot? That makes zero sense unless adding a spring dog season would put more unethical hunters in the woods.. I disagree with that argument no sane ethical hunter we be tagging cubs any more than present.

There should be massive support for this from the mighty WBHA seeing this is thee exact same reason they pushed X guns for bear and turkey and for the new inclusion in the archery season... they supported these ideas as it was "expanding opportunity" even though the issue had nothing to do with actual bear hunting..

If they supported that... how can they not support their very own dog running season where no other hunter could interfere with their dog hunt?

We have the bear... In fact they do not need to give out more tags right away.. just spread the hunters out! It's a no brainer. .IMHO

01-May-14
Antler Whore the mighty 3000 member group Is only good at trying to sneak laws like advisory question #48 or how about kill tags for zone C with dogs!!!

01-May-14
I've yet to eat any bear meat that I would consider more than bearly (haha) palitable.

WBHA might love the idea so that they could get more tags for Juniors mom's, grandmas, grandpas, etc. to transfer.

01-May-14
I would think the only reason more small bears would be shot is because they just haven't packed on the pounds like they do in fall. I don't think anymore cubs or sub-legal bears would be shot.

01-May-14
Bear meat is so so no matter when or how its harvested .

Bears have no real positive use in the northwoods . they are a large varment being protected by a very small but active group of Bear hunters .

When I was young Bear tags were over the counter and we did just fine that way .

01-May-14
It should be mandatory for every registration station to use a tape measure. If not face a huge fine, and loss of the registration station. You would be shocked at the number of tickets written for undersized bears in the first year. I am disgusted by what is shot by some every year. You wont do that with me!! I will see to a citation being written.

We have discussed the bear meat in the past. Like all things not all like everything. The absolute biggest thing with bear is the field care. In the spring all the care just dont matter if the system has yet to flush out the toxins. How long does that take? Who knows? Most likely will depend on each individual beer. Think of it like alcohol. May take me longer to flush that poison than you.

Nuisance problems most of the time are preventable. Most of the time are in the spring when food is the woods is at a low. Most of the time it is because people just flat refuse to listen! How many times do people need to be told to not put out the bird feeders. To not leave garbage outside. Give them a fodo source and they will come. The difficulty in understanding this is beyond me. You will not see any feeding of wildlife on my property most of the year. Perhaps just a little when we have guests just off my porch. So they can watch the flying squirrels up close. Hence I have very little bear problems.

01-May-14
Steve ….. how many small bear are caught by the hounds.

01-May-14
Why is it a big deal to shoot a smaller/younger bear if it makes the hunter happy? No different than those that shoot young deer.

02-May-14
So maybe a resident only spring OTC bait season;-)

02-May-14
Guys ….. my mistake…. 3000 to maybe 1900 members and dropping !!! Most of the members are guides and out of towers.

02-May-14
" they are a large varment being protected by a very small but active group of Bear hunters."

The same could be said for all critters including deer, bald eagles, hawks, owls,fisher, skunk, coon, porkies, ect. Luckily, most appreciate a diverse ecosystem.

02-May-14
November…….. The thing to watch out for now is they are trying to push to be able to run dogs and have kill tags in zone C !!!! What a JOKE !!!!!

02-May-14
I miss playing Cowboys and Native Americans when I was a kid.

02-May-14
Well said November - such a statement regarding black bears as having no real positive use is ignorance at it's finest!

Definately old-school thinking and prevelant thinking when we had "shoot on sight" - "over the counter" bear tags, no registration and no biology or impact studies. Thank the Lord and Greyhound we have evolved from those days!

02-May-14
"November…….. The thing to watch out for now is they are trying to push to be able to run dogs and have kill tags in zone C !!!! What a JOKE !!!!!"

Why is that a Joke? Bow season used to close the week before gun season, then it went to the Wednesday before. Now it goes from sept. - Jan. is that a Joke? What's wrong with more opperrunity? I have trained in C and there are areas quite capable of turning dogs out with no conflicts.

02-May-14
Drop Tine there is more areas not capable of hound hunting in C.

02-May-14
WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH SMALL BEARS BEING SHOT???

I guess nothing if you dont want anymore bears. They are not deer. They are not born in the spring and then breed in the fall.

It takes 3-5 yrs for bears to reach breeding age. So if a large number of sub adults are being shot. There is not reproduction going on!! No rocket science needed to understand that.

Go read the harvest stats as it is. DOnt have in front of me, but if I recall correctly. Already around 30% of the bear harvested are sub adults.

Go do some investigation into MI bears. The number of sub adult bears harvested is much higher. Guess what that population is down the crapper!!!

So there is no comparison between bear and deer.

Why not just drop all seasons and management. Its what would make most happy. Just kill kill kill. Until there is nothing. The cry how the DNR has done nothing. Then hunting can be just like walleye fishing in Northern WI. Where the writing is already on the wall. Catch and release only of walleyes soon to come!!

02-May-14
OTC??? The bear population would be decimated in a couple years if it was OTC.

02-May-14
Ok. It's time for legislature to get involve and appropriate me 30k So I can do a five year feasibility study concerning the feasibility of spring bear hunt will include five kill tags to detrime weather meat is edible Of course I will see if I can drag the study out to twenty-five or so years I wouldn't want to make the elk study look bad

02-May-14

Spring bear from Main way back were like eating dung, inedible to the point we had to throw it away. After the spring hunting got set aside for fall only the hunting in Main was improved by at least 90% with bigger bear being taken. I've taken a few bear from Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ont. in the fall and they were great on the table. I would hope the idea of a spring hunt in Wisconsin would be turned down. Just my view on this.

02-May-14
I wonder if they had it in June during mating season if the meat would clean up? I still think about wasting that bear. You'd have to make discarding the meat legal like it is for yotes

02-May-14
Steve, I was stirring the pot. I knew that about bears, I believe people should let young bucks walk when deer hunting. But I am continually told this way of thinking is wrong and selfish. So I was playing devils advocate with the bear issue.

08-May-14
So.. The answer for those wishing to reduce the bear population is to kill sub adults ... interesting. As from what I have read on these boards there are a ton of deer hunters complaining about too many bear... eating up fawns.. and further decimating the deer populations.

A spring hunt need not harvest more bear .. just separate the dogs to run in the cooler spring weather and leave the woods bear hound free in the late summer/fall for your fellow bear hunters who sit bait.. and your fellow bow hunters who would like some piece and quiet in the bow stand... why have everyone fight over the same little bears. ..

I don't see what the problem with the idea can be.. The mighty WBHA certainly would rather have the entire woods to themselves ... here ya go..

08-May-14
There ya go....bear dogs screwing up my turkey hunt! :^)

09-May-14
It don't matter. If the entire state was a sole persons personal hunting ground. That person would find a reason to complain how someone else ruined their hunting.

10-May-14
Hey Steve ……..seems to be one group trying to ruin hunts on private property. Lets see…they have around 1900 members…. they can't read or don't understand what NO Trespassing means…… they tried to sneak #48 the fido law at the spring hearings……… Steve you a member of that group ?????

10-May-14
How did they try and Sneak #48??? They put it out for a public pole to vote on. Watch out Steve your a marked man for belonging to "something" Wow!!!

10-May-14
Owned one German shorthair and two English springers. NEVER had no trouble keeping them off private property. Drop Tine…. dogs stray and hounds can go for miles.

10-May-14
How did they try and Sneak #48 ???? Why don't you call the WBHA and find out what I did!!! Just like they are going to try now with running hounds and hunting in Zone C !!!! Not going to pass Drop Tine. Too much private property in Zone C ……. but that does not make a difference to some of you guys!!!

10-May-14
A few years ago I was fishing a remote area and a Warden walked in . We sat crown and chatted for a while . I asked him what was the worst part of his job . I expected baiting would be the answer B u t he said " Bear hunting " was a huge headache . Both baiting or dogs .

I told him I caught a few hounds on my property . I would keep them for a week or 2 , feed them dummies , let the kids play with them and let them .

11-May-14
Bottom line... dog runners have a very poor image even with other hunters... not too mention non hunters... and it only takes a few dipstick to spoil that for the honorable guys who do things right ..

The problem 8 the good ones such the bad ones out of the woodwork and will not use any political clout to pass rules and regs that would help eliminate the degenerates ..

That is why the bow hunters and bear dog hunters don't see eye to eye... dog runners protect the rejects as long as they run dogs...

Pretty sad. From a image standpoint

11-May-14
Bottom line... dog runners have a very poor image even with other hunters... not too mention non hunters... and it only takes a few dipstick to spoil that for the honorable guys who do things right ..

The problem 8 the good ones such the bad ones out of the woodwork and will not use any political clout to pass rules and regs that would help eliminate the degenerates ..

That is why the bow hunters and bear dog hunters don't see eye to eye... dog runners protect the rejects as long as they run dogs...

Pretty sad. From a image standpoint

11-May-14
I hope you guys are successful in a spring hunt but I am not holding my breath.

I think loose dogs should be shot on site on private land. It would train the owners and dogs really quickly. Built in accountability

Short of that, keep the dogs north of hwy 29

11-May-14
Dogs are not the problem . The owners are the problem . By the way the hounds I kept for 2 weeks . No missing ads in any new papers .

12-May-14
Kevin why don't you write a resolution for a spring bear hunt and have it voted on at the spring hearings.

12-May-14
Hunting a animal when it's not edable is a waste. Trophy hunting at its worst.

12-May-14
No different than running coyotes and cats!!!1

12-May-14
I wonder if they'd be good in June. This would be right during the breeding season which would be perfect. Turkey is over.

12-May-14
buckmaster, I can see how it could be considered different due to the bears being more edible in the fall so why not hunt them when both the hide and the meat is better? I don't know how edible spring bear meat is because I consider fall bear meat about the worst thing I've ever tried to eat! Thankfully I have friends that love it so none of mine goes to waste. The last bear I shot I gave my buddy all the bear meat and he gave me 8 1/4lb buffalo burgers - I think I came out on top of that trade!

12-May-14
Zinger I think you made out good on the meat trade.

12-May-14
Buckmaster69- I thought we were all done with the spring hearings. I heard we have to find a legislator to sponsor our bills to have our wants fast tracked.

12-May-14
Kevin the only thing you can do is submit it next April as a resolution.

13-May-14
Buddy in Marion just texted. He has 3 bears in his backyard destroying his bird feeder right now.

Mother and two cubs.

Every year we are seeing more and more bears around Marion

13-May-14

lame crowndip's embedded Photo
lame crowndip's embedded Photo
Last night's activity at the bird feeder. Bent the one inch pipe. Guess I better buy some 2 inch pipe today.

13-May-14
2" pipe wont help either. Only thing that can be done is to remove the food source.

Folks always want to go after a group rather than the individual. There are plenty of laws on the books to deal with these bad apples. Yet rather then go after theses individuals. Let's go after the entire group.

It does not matter how many laws are made. There will always be bad apples that will break them. It's those individuals that need to be gone after, not the group.

There is a serious lack of accountability across the board. I mention problems with deer hunters. I get back well there is more numbers. As if that makes it right.

It funny, I'm required to carry proof of rabies, and license. Yet others are not. Even more owners of just house dogs don't even bother with any of it.

It's also funny if a dog barks regularly its ok. Yet, if a hound farts it becomes a nuisance. Or, if you got 6 different dogs it's ok. But if you got 6 hounds that's a problem. Better change as many ordinances as possible to get rid of the hounds!!

It's amazing how quick fingers get pointed at hound hunters. Just for the few bad apples. Yet, the group as a whole does far more good. Stuff that many turn a blind eye too. One of the simplest things is trash clean up. You might be amazed at how much garbage is cleaned from the woods on a yearly basis!!

13-May-14
Steve you are so full of …………..

13-May-14
lol yea hound hunters....the garbage men of the woods LOL that is a good one.

How much of that garbage is coming off of private land? LoL, and do hound hunters consider a trail camera that is not locked to a tree garbage? lol Really I am LMAO over here.

13-May-14
lets see Steve lives north of Hwy 8, and buckmaster lives where, south of 29, different worlds.......

It sounds like Steve is a responsible hound hunter, and buckmaster,,,,,,well...... how many bear hunters with hounds have run thru his property causing problems.................

Steve by the way, I just got the bid on a 40 accepted this week in the UP......

Next week I will post it..... It will say... No Tresspassing, unless your a hunter or trapper....

14-May-14
I have guys stop by and ask to run dogs. Nearly every year.. I respond with asking them if they on any land? Almost none do... but when they respond that yes I own some hunting land... 5 hen I ask to bowhunt it as a trade ... guess what the reply is.. lol

Dogs should only be running north of 64 or even 8 And you should have to have a kill tag to practice/train. That would narrow the runners down and open up the big areas where there is plenty of room .. With the way it is now .. you have dog running turf wars and this forces people to turn out in areas that they shouldn't due to private lands near by... and large gangs claiming areas

You don't need to train if you don't even have a kill tag... it makes zero sense. If you don't have a kill tag your training for nothing and molesting wild game unnecessarily. . I thought molesting game was a violation?

That is legislation that the WBHA could push to eliminate some 90 the problem dog runners ... but they would turn out on the front lawn of the capital if they could

14-May-14
AW that wouldn't change a thing. It's the hound hunters that pushed through the tag transfer so now mom, grandpa and grandma can all put in for tags for junior. This way a group of hound hunters always have kill tags. I don't have a problem if dad (or mom if she's actually a hunter) transfer their tags but when people who have no intentions to hunt a bear put in for a tag just so they can transfer it that's a big problem in my mind.

If you are releasing your hounds after bear within 1/2 mile (a mile is even better) of ANY private land you don't have much respect for landowners rights. If you are releasing them that close you know darn well that there is a pretty decent chance of them going on to private land. I don't care if they are through the private 40 in 2 minutes, they're still on private land.

I'm sure there are more good hound hunters than bad but unfortunatly there are still to many bad ones. I know the hound guys don't like to hear it but this is a sport that needs to be highly restricted with the increase in private lands. There are not a lot of places that you can put a hound on a bear without there being a decent chance of it going on private land.

14-May-14
AW…. in 2010 the question was do you support training of hounds during the bear harvest season. 652 yes 2995 no 71 counties rejecting 1 county tie. But look what happened. Do you think maybe this could be why some hunters are upset with running hounds. Then they try # 48 the fido law. Now they want to run hounds in zone C with harvest tags. That must have been the couple of bad hound hunters doing this or should I say the 1900 members of a certain group. razor head……I am happy you think you know what I own and what I lease and where I hunt. What difference does that make ??? You can always tell another hound hunter by what he posts!!!! You sound like a responsible hound hunter…… Yea right. One thing I can do is read and understand the meaning. No Trespassing means I can't go on that property. Kevin …. I hope you write a resolution for the spring hearings next April. I would talk to the DNR way before and find out what they think about it.

14-May-14
AW, Actually the very new no harvest tag requirement has worked to the good of all. Really it did not matter before. One was still going to be able to train at any time. Just needed a harvest tag in the group. So as a result during the harvest season you had many more larger groups that formed in areas. All basically hunting off the same tag. With the change these super groups if you will have begun to fade away. This takes pressure off the areas hunted, and especially off the tag holder. large groups can be fun to hunt with. Same reason for deer camps. I just hate seeing 20-30 people at a tree.

Now you are really talking about small numbers relatively speaking. However, I also feel this does take some pressure off the harvest. As there many that just enjoy the dogs. No reason or care to seek out a harvest tag. So a couple less may be harvested. Which is why you have seen a dramatic decrease in the amount of free hunts offered.

By the same token one could also say. There is a huge reduction in all these supposed tags that are applied for by non hunting family members. Just to get kill tags. Unless the desire is for a youth to get a first harvest. Most hound hunters just dont care about the kill!!

So the new law put in just a few years ago. Seems to have a lot more good for all hunters coming from it.

Just a question. Does the WI Bowhunter's Assoc have any spring clean ups?? Not a member so dont know.

14-May-14
BULL……..

14-May-14
Steve, congradulations you clean up garbage in the woods. I think we all do that to a certain extent.

Where would someone run hounds for bear in C without crossing private land? I'm sure there are a couple big public areas but not many. I know guys who run coyotes in the southern half of the state and everyone of them (that I know) have there dogs running private land they don't have permision for just about everyday they are running hounds.

15-May-14
Zinger + 1

15-May-14
Zinger, Clark county forest is one place. I have run there several times without issue.

15-May-14
DT, I'm sure there are a couple places but you must admit there's not many.

16-May-14
I think a spring dog season and a fall bait sit season would be the best solution for all.

It seperates the dogs away from bait sitters and by the middle of June the bear have been out eating for 5-8 weeks so the taste thing is covered of which is BS anyway IMHO . All bear meat is not good. I process the entire bear into sausage and brats just so everyone in the family will eat it .. plain bear venison is not very good regardless of time of year.

As far as hunting them with out a kill tag.. then by that rule... you should be able to hunt any animal without a kill tag .. why do bear hunters get to do this and no one else can??

Very unfair

But the offer is always open.. u grant written bow hunting permission to your land you can run your dog's here.. until then... your just looking for trouble .

16-May-14
AW…… kind of funny how some stuff gets into law. 71 counties reject 1 county tie for running hounds without a kill tag. Kind of makes you not want to TRUST a certain group of hunters. I wonder what bunch of sneaks were involved in this?????? Maybe I should ask a responsible hound hunter ?????

16-May-14
Cross bow was voted down several times and it's now got its own season. What's the surprise. Y'all make out the WBHA to be some all mighty secret sociaty. Anyone can attend meetings if you want to know what's going on. Maybe we should put bait sitters south of 64 and hounds north of 64. That would solve the issue also.

16-May-14
71 counties reject.. 1 tie. Drop Tine …….. really. You have to be kidding.

16-May-14
I think I know another member the 1900. Drop Tine did you flunk math in high school ?????

16-May-14
Nope, and I don't drink and type on the computer either. :p I like the idea of bait sitters south of 64 even though we as hound hunters would be giving up 2/3rds of the state doing so. But it would be fair trade I guess to make the sitters happy.

16-May-14
DT thats a great idea…… no hound hunting for bear, coon, coyotes and cats south of 64.

16-May-14
I see your comprehension skills are lacking. Considering we have been talking bear hunting. I don't coon hunt so it wouldn't bother me.

16-May-14
Lets see……….. my comprehension skills are fine. I am smart enough to understand that when 71 out of 72 counties vote against something I know it has no SUPPORT. I am also smart enough to understand what NO TRESPASSING means. I thought by putting all you hound hunters together in one area they would not get confused.

16-May-14
Just think how clean that one area would be, all those garbage collectors roaming the woods might not even see a stray leaf blow in the wind.

16-May-14
That is pretty lame as Buckmaster says.. it is clear that is a hated practice by the entire state... yet some how funds rolled to a secret lobbyist... lol.. to get crap like this passed... screw everyone else ..good gravy irene!!

No wonder the bars are full of dog runners getting sauced ... they would not be able to sleep at night otherwise...

Keep buying those raffle tickets boys and girls... We can 3 pet more of the same

16-May-14
Kevin you should call the DNR and ask them to send you the pamphlet with the questions for the 2014 spring hearings. There is directions on how to write a resolution for the spring hearings.

17-May-14
Actually AW again your wrong. You can legally pursue any game animal in WI. Many just dont understand the gratification of pursuit only hunting. They must kill everything!! Same thing goes on in fishing. Plenty of meant mongers there as well!!! Guessing some would like to see catch and release fishing be outlawed as well. Since those of us that do it. Are taking away from the meat mongers catching fish.

17-May-14
Words of wisdom from a member of the sneak 1900 club.

17-May-14
Would it be a great world if you could go vote on hunting and fishing issues and not worry about certain groups buying rule changes. 71 counties reject 1 county tie. Then you same guys that bought this rule change wonder why other hunters are turning against them. Oh we are good guys we pick up the garbage in the woods !!! We just run for sport. We don't have to kill. BULL……..

17-May-14
I ran many years between kill tags just for the fun if it. Guys that don't hunt with dogs wether it's Pointers, Retrievers, or Hounds will never understand the satisfaction of just watching them do what they have been bred and trained to do. We bow hunters haven't been self serving? We can now bow hunt non stop from Sept. well into January or later in some areas I believe. So the sneak 3000 club has been just as active.

17-May-14
yea but I bet more than one county would have voted in favor of a long none stop bow season.

18-May-14
Drop Tine when they run hounds during the practice season. I did not have a problem with it. But what gets sportsmen mad is the sneaky way you changed the rule. 71 counties reject and 1 county tie. Even now with your statements you act like its no big deal. All you say is look what they did and you guys don't understand the sport. I talked to guys on the conservation congress and they did not like the way the fido law #48 was written. Sneak … sneak …sneak. Yes I also know the sneaks on the conservation congress. Now its time to try to get hound hunting in Zone C. Do you really know how popular your sneak group and sport is right now ??? DT What would you say if there was a vote to ban bear hound hunting. The vote is 71 counties reject and 1 county tie. But they ban bear hound hunting anyway!!!!!! What would be your reaction ??? Oh I know what you would say. Thats not fair …. we got to stick together…… we don't do anything wrong. SNEAKS

18-May-14
I'm not a member of WBHA. So you are all for the expansion of bow hunting because your a bow hunter as I. But not the expansion of any other sport. I'm also a hound hunter. How could that be? Because my hounds are out of the woods well before I get serious about bow hunting and the Rut.

18-May-14
Sounds like crossguns getting snuck in... oh wait with their own season though. LOL

18-May-14
DT….. Lets make this simple. DT you don't know me. I personally am not for the expanded deer hunt before gun season. I voted against it. Groups or organizations don't tell me how to VOTE. I also gun, bow, and black powder deer hunt. I fish and small game also. So to make your remarks that are false and try to make it look look like the sneak 1900 did nothing wrong is pretty pathetic. Hmmmm ….. you claim your not a member of the 1900 member sneaks. But you use their old total of 3000 members. Not what their membership is now. Sure act like a member !!!!

18-May-14
The sneak 3000 is in reference to WBH. It's fine to make all the accusations about me? You can see my name here. It's not fake. Look up the membership to WBHA. You won't find me.

18-May-14
Drop Tine we are not talking about the WBH. You are. WBH did not SNEAK a law in after it was rejected in 71 counties and tied in one. Not one county supported this. Please tell me how any group could do this. Money talks…….. Drop Tine its ok for you to make accusations on what I support. But I can't ……..

18-May-14
Where did I say I supported it also? You just "assumed" I did because I hunt with hounds. So has this become law? Because I'm not aware of it if it did. I never understand why people get all worked up over an Internet forum?

19-May-14
DT 71 counties reject 1 county tie.

19-May-14
You keep hammering on that as if CC meetings actually mean something. Let me tell you again how my hunting has changed. Since that more useless than teets on a bull rule was put on the books.

I'm going to type reeaall slowwww now so it's CLEAR!!! MY HUNTING HAS NOT CHANGED 1 BIT!!!

What has changed for us. Is less bear getting killed. Due to the pressure of having to kill from having a tag holder along with a hot pocket.

What has changed for us. Is smaller groups, and fewer numbers being seen in areas. One area no longer sees my group as a result for example.

BUT!!! The main point still is, I hunted every day before the rule change, and hunt every day since the rule change. The lower pressure level certainly is a bonus.

19-May-14
Steve …. I don't care if your hunting has not changed. You are a guide so you will be running your hounds no matter what. You claim the CC hearings don't mean nothing but when your fido advisory question #48 failed you pouted like a little girl. Let me say this real slow so you can try to understand….. hunters who are baiting do not appreciate you hound hunters practicing when their hunt comes up. Some wait up to eight years or more to hunt. But that doesn't affect you Steve. Long as you can make a buck!!!!

19-May-14
So hound hunters can "hunt" every year wether they have a tag or not but if a bait guy throws out a doughnut to watch bears come into the bait he gets a fine???

19-May-14
If you have a class B tag you can bait all you want the same as we have to have the B tag to run.

19-May-14
DT, are you sure? I know with a B tag you can assist a person with an A tag but I don't think you can bait with the only intention of sitting over the bait to observe and take pictures.

19-May-14
Regulations on Feeding On top of page feeding bears for non-hunting purposes, such as viewing is not legal. #1 It is not legal to place or deposit feed for bear for the purpose other than legal bear hunting or bear training. The way I read it I would say you are right Zinger.

19-May-14
And I believe it says that if you're baiting for deer and see evidense of bear using the bait you must stop baiting immediatly.

19-May-14
Since when did this site get so anti-hunting? I cut my grass today with a gas powered motor, anyone want to cry about that?

19-May-14
Since when did this site get so anti-hunting? I cut my grass today with a gas powered motor, anyone want to cry about that?

19-May-14
You can always tell a hound hunter or a person who hunts with them.

19-May-14
Zinger, This is what I do when I have a natural resources question, e-mail the DNR (law division) in Madison your question, when they respond you have it on paper.

19-May-14
I am anti trespassing whether your a bear hunter, a raccoon hunter, a mushroom hunter, or a hiker. Mostly because that presence could very well disturb something like a sanctuary, or staging area. It just so happens that hound hunters truly or not accidentally trespass on a far more regular basis % wise than any other group.

We use to let guys run coyotes on our land late winter every year. The problem there is some start to think that privilege is a right. Just like this bull about retrieving a hound off of private property, it is in no way your right. I think any hounds men that have been caught more than once on private property should only be able to run their dogs on a leash period. If your dogs aren't well trained enough to stay where they are suppose to you should not be getting any breaks that others are not afforded.

That being said I am all for your way of hunting, just stay where you are suppose to stay.

19-May-14
LOL! Make a buck!! HA HA, good one!! It should be called go broke!! Even on those very rare years I might fully book. Still going to loose, cost me, or how ever you want to describe it. A solid 10K is still going to come from my pocket!!! Last year was just a smidge shy of 20k. If a buck is being made, dont know where. I do it for the love of the sport!!

As for your baiting thing. It would come down to location even with a license. I suppose it would be up to the local warden. My guess would be if you place a bait in the woods. Or, what would be considered normal area for hunting purposes. With the class B license of course. That here would be no problem with sitting in a stand and taking pictures. However if you were to place that same bait behind you house, restaurant, bar, etc. There would be a clear distinction between the intent of the two.

19-May-14
NWO my answer was off the DNR website.

20-May-14
Yea Steve …….. you do it for nothing…….. I do believe you love the sport( no matter what other groups you screw). I know you make no money and live in a box.

20-May-14
We lose one guy (Rancid) that used to dominate threads and we gain another.

20-May-14
DT….. First you defend a group that pushed a rule change that allows hound hunters to practice with their hounds even when it was rejected by 71 counties and tied by 1 county at the spring hearings. Then this same group tries to push the fido law #48 to retrieve hounds on private property without permission. You defended that. Now this same group is trying to get hound hunting for bear in zone C. You support that. DT you tell Zinger he can bait and enjoy bear hunting every year like the hound hunters that don't have harvest tags. DNR regulations say you can't. The trouble with you DT is you will defend anything involved with hound hunting. EVEN WHEN ITS WRONG !!!!

20-May-14
That's your opinion. I like to hunt with my hounds and get great pleasure from it. Wouldn't you defend that? You have your undies in a wad and we get that. So let's move on to a different topic. Why don't you go out and pick some Morels and enjoy the warmer weather. I found about 2 pounds worth on a quick look Saturday.

20-May-14
71 counties against 1 tie that was their opinion too. I could never defend the low life way these things were snuck in!!!!

20-May-14
I've hunted coyotes and raccoons with hounds and it's a blast! One of the most fun things I've ever done hunting. That was till I figured out that all the land the hounds were running on the asupposedly we had permission for we didn't, they would drop them off in a place they had permission and then let them run wherever they wanted. Coon hunting wasn't so bad because they generally tree pretty fast but coyotes run a straight line for miles crossing over 10-20 different people's lands or more. Don't tell me you have permission from all of them. I would love to do it again but not if there is any chance of the hounds going on private property because I don't trespass.

I know that I won't trespass Steve can you say the same thing 100% of the time about your dogs?

Question #48 was kind of a laugh. Even if it would pass and the DNR says it's the law what authority do they have to say who I have to let on my property? They could write the law but it would not be enforcable. Just like our city made a law that you can't fish within 100' of a moored boat, problem is it's USCG waters and the city has no authority on it. I've tried to get them to write me a ticket many times and they refuse because they kow it wouldn't stand up in court.

20-May-14
Buckmaster can you tell me after the vote of "71 counties against 1 tie" why the congress did not make this law???????. Please explain how this was "snuckin"

20-May-14
huntnfish43….The rule change was rejected. Then the sneak 1900 got a lobbyist and went around the conservation congress. Lets try this. A resolution is made to end all hound hunting. 71 counties support it 1 county tie. What would you call it ????

20-May-14
I would call it a total lack of understanding the system on your part. Do you actually understand the role of the congress?

20-May-14
I should have had 71 counties reject 1 tie. But a group gets a lobbyist and ends hound hunting.

20-May-14
I don't understand how some people don't think they should get a trespassinglfine if their dogs go on private land. It seems obvious to me. Like when they say dogs don't effect deer hunting. No the deer just run the other direction and become even more nocturnal.

20-May-14
Really…… The conservation congress is advisory to the DNR.

20-May-14
FYI it was not a rule change, but a change to state statute, do you know the difference? Do you know who makes rules and who makes laws in WI?

20-May-14
huntnfish43… you hunt with hounds don't you ???

20-May-14
huntnfish43 thanks for helping me out. But here the deal. 71 counties reject 1 tie. There was no support.

20-May-14
There was also overwhelming support on the feral cat issue several years ago but the CC did nothing because their hands were tied by the government. The CC is an outdated dinasour that needs to go away and let the biologists do what needs to be done, the problem with that though is do we trust the biologists?

22-May-14
Zinger, wont say 100%, 99.99% I will though. Been hunting the same area long enough to know where the game is going to go most of the time. So problems can be avoided. Rarely do I ever have a problem with anyone. If a problem arises. I have no problem with walking up to anyone's door. Talking to them for a bit hat in hand. Rarely do I ever leave without a blessing. It's the communication with property owners that is the key. However there will always be that one jackwagon. That thinks because he hears dogs, or see a hound truck. They must be trespassing on his 5 acres in the middle of 30,000!

Every so often a particular animal starts to do something odd. I always try then to figure out why it is happening. Almost every single time the answer lies in a food source. Especially with bears. A found a pattern a few years ago with a couple of bear. They kept going towards a highway, and small subdivision one day a week. Just so happened this was garbage day. Had a yearling last year. That slept in a small swamp behind a house. Would hit our bait then their deer/bird feeders. The major problem was not the private property the bear was visiting daily. But the new path it was taking right behind an active gun range!! We corrected that issue real quick!!

Coyotes are another matter. If you hunted them then you know that statement is false. They do not run in a straight line every time. In fact it is rare for them to line out for very far. Before they end up making that normal circle of ALL GAME!! There is one scenario that it does happen more though. That is during the breeding season when males travel far. You might just get on one that is far from home. If that happens though. There are going to be roads, trails, something to stop the dogs. Especially if they are running through 20 private parcels as suggested. Even here were a dog could go 30 miles without touching a private piece, or more. There is going to be some way to stop them dogs.

I still cant believe how much stock is put into the CC hearings by some. They are pointless!!!

I guess I should understand the broad strokes given to a group of people. Every black man is a thief, and every Muslim is a terrorist. RIGHT! Just another form of racism!!

Really if this was not an over exaggerated. Constantly perpetuated by half truths and lies. There would be more enforcement action taken. Since it is covered under of variety of WDNR, State, County and local laws!!!

It just dont matter in the end. Like I said, One could have the whole state to themselves as a private hunting ground. No houses, people, nothing. Just you, the game, and your millions of acres of land. Still that person is going to find something to cry about!!!!

10-Jun-14
SW…… BULL SHI$

11-Jun-14
If the number of hound hunters has not gone up. Then how can you say there are more of them in the woods during the harvest season.

Same number of hunters without the pressure of a tag holder to kill!

11-Jun-14
Bull SHI$

11-Jun-14
Steve don't entice the "Troll"

11-Jun-14
Drop Tine you and SW are the same. Members of WBHA who have no problems interfering with other hunters. You guys make up stories and lie and you don't like anyone calling you guys on it. If anyone is a troll it would be you DT.

11-Jun-14
Show me where I'm a member of the WBHA. You make many statements and accusations let's see you back them up with facts. Quit being such a Richard head!

11-Jun-14
Just read your previous statements.

11-Jun-14
Show me where I'm a member of the WBHA. You make many accusations let's see you back them up facts.

Waiting!

11-Jun-14
Don't hold your breath !!! SW blows a fart and you say it smells good.

11-Jun-14
Talk-talk-talk, still waiting.

11-Jun-14
DT you still waiting ???

15-Jun-14
I agree with BM 69.... hound hunting is out of control and it needs to be real ed in a lot to get back under control... way to much bad stuff happens and a huge black eye on all hunters is the result... Heck 20 years ago you could nock on farmers doors and get bowhunt I g access... what's the odds of getting access when a group of hounds has been chased off the farm be the farmer? It's just a BS practice regardless of if you find "GREAT PLEASURE" in it... I know all kinds of things that are pleasurable but laws do not allow...

Get the crap cleaned up ..or get rid of it all together.

15-Jun-14
AW why would the hound hunters need all these rule changes if there is no problems? The FIDO law #48 to retrieve hounds on private property thank goodness that was voted down. Thats a license to trespass. Now they are working on being able to run and harvest in Zone C. What a joke. They get to practice with their hounds without a kill tag during the season. Even when it was voted down by 71 counties and 1 county tie. I am not against hound hunting at all. I am against morons who can't read and understand what no trespassing means.

17-Jun-14
It's a shady practice.. why would you think the people doing would be clean... they are all shady as even the ones who do it right support all who hunt with hounds regardless how they do it legal/ethical or not .. Hound hunters don't want guys bait sitting for bear... they want them to quit... so they get all the tags...

Only way to solve this BS is to set a quota system like they did for wolves and give everyone a bear tag with their deer license good for 1 bear or 1 buck like it once was... When quotas are met.. Bear season closes... no more shenanigans fighting over the bear tags... give one to everyone and make the deer tag 30 bucks to offset revenue loss from the present system.. This would also better control problem bears on private lands..

24-Jun-14
AW +1

27-Jun-14
AW+2!!

27-Jun-14
AW if you did that the season would last one day and more bears would be shot than wanted. Imagine if everyone could put out baits? There would be 200,000 baits and bear hunters in the woods at onetime. The kill for one day would be huge.

27-Jun-14
Everyone has a bear tag? OMG - any idea what the woods would look like - ya need a traffic cop on every logging road intersection directing traffic! :^)

Interesting thought but not the answer! Quality hunt would be out the window definately!

27-Jun-14
It would be a disaster.

04-Jul-14
Everyone use to have a bear tag.. and I don't remember that being a problem as you guys say... In fact it was a better system IMHO There is no reason it would not work as it once did.. and if it only lasts a day.. well so be it.. but i find it hard to believe 6000 bear would be shot in less than a 2 week or so period.. or somewhat the time frame present... it would be far easier to manage the bear herd because you would kill your quota every year... and that does not happen at present.. seeing just about everyone says there are too many bear .. The other night I had a 200 lb sow laying on the lawn liking up bird seed...lol.. I couldn't help but think her piece and quiet is just about over with .. dogs everywhere soon.. chasing bear for practice... In any other Hunting this would be considered molesting of wildlife... but chasing the same bear everyday for fun is ...OK.. lol.. I don't get it..

• Sitka Gear