hunterdad 01-May-14
thphtm 01-May-14
thphtm 01-May-14
T ZEKE 02-May-14
Jax 1 06-May-14
tonyotony 14-May-14
scentman 14-May-14
30-Apr-14
Here in Western New York we are just seeing some strutting going on.

I've been down to the farm I hunt and haven't seen much sign but I did see two tracks from a couple of decent sized Toms. There is still a decent amount of corn on the ground so I'm hoping more will work their way to it.

I've got my blind and decoys ready for tomorrow and hope to call one of the Toms into easy bow range.

Good luck!

30-Apr-14

SJJ's embedded Photo
SJJ's embedded Photo
I'm an hour South of Booneville Pat. Our #'s have been down. It's harder to find birds...the birds that are around are gobbling their fool heads off early, then they quiet down, then pick back up around 9-10 it seems

30-Apr-14
Lots of gobbling and strutting in 3M. Heavy rain expected tomorrow morning for the opener. I might sit this one out. Usually rain doesn't bother me but a monsoon might keep me out of the woods. Will head out Friday morning.

plus, you can't take nice trophy photos like the one above with a soak and wet gobbler =)

30-Apr-14
Pat, I'm seeing a lot of strutting and have been for the past couple weeks. The numbers are way down, but the breeding activity is on. Where I would usually see 20-30 birds, I'm now seeing 7-8. I have several Toms located. Tomorrow I'm hitting a field where I see them all the time. I'm setting by DB Matrix out right nect to some round bales that the birds cruise past just about every morning. Hopefully, turkey can't count and they won't notice the additional "bale". LOL Jay

30-Apr-14
I'm on a Mountain in Del. Co where in previous years I would have seen 5 to 10 dif. toms and all kinds of hens in the field in front of my home. In the last month I have seen ONE tom and no hens and only saw thwt tom once, three weeks ago, I get up early and have not heard a gobble yet! It does not look good up here I hope things are better where my sons and I hunt down in the Liberty ares this weekend!

30-Apr-14
The DEC is doing a study on the turkey decline. They think its due to factors of 1) bad winters; 2) poor brooding conditions in Spring and 3) predation by song dogs..... Its the same here in the Mohawk Valley areas. Birds took a big hit in the winter of 2002 - 2003 and have never recovered in my opinion. They got back to maybe 60% of what it had been before that winter 3-4 years ago, but recent winters and poor spring conditions with cool temps & rain have prevented any significant comeback. The 02-03 winter eliminated flocks where I would see 20 gobblers in a large flock before they broke up in spring. That flock has never recovered and others that were large are now in single digit numbers. Heck, I may even feel guilty killing one of the poor things! :)

>>>>-------->

30-Apr-14
Good gobbling in 7J .....until about 6:20 maybe, then quiet. Have been starting up again around 9:15 again gobbling pretty good. Also a little gobbling late morning to mid-day. My approach is going to be to chill out if the initial activity off the roost isn't successful, back off and be ready for that mid morning gobbling I've been hearing.

30-Apr-14
I'll find out tomorrow. Although the rain may keep things quiet. I have pictures of a couple from a few weeks ago. Good luck if you get out.

30-Apr-14
I was out last weekend in 3M with me 2 children for NY's Youth Season. We heard a few gobbles on Saturday Morning at first light then all went quiet. On Sunday we heard no gobbles! I have my Primos Double Bull Blind set up in a cut cornfield so I can keep dry for the morning's hunt. Good luck to all those that are heading out!

01-May-14
opening morning and lots of rain and wind. No birds gobbling in the last week as I walked around the hill. The DEC want to know why the turkey is down, how about the yote's, the same is for the rabbits and lots of the deer fawns.I hear the yote in the back hill at night running.

I use to have to major groups of birds, one had over 30 birds in it and one has almost twice as many birds. In may you would see in the pasture they looking for food, now I see about 8 birds and that all.

We do have a loss of young birds in the early spring / summer if you have to much rain.

I do not see any stray dogs just running.

01-May-14
The rain slowed to a drizzle right now. Just had 5 jakes walk by well within my recurve range. Tempting, but the season is early. No gobbling this morning.

01-May-14
NYbob if you take a ride on rt.28 from Andes to Delhi you will see plenty every morning in the fields on the left.

01-May-14
Agreed another Question along toes lines.Do they issue a nuisance permit for farmers for them.?. And is it good for year round?.I never checked the DEC website for that.

02-May-14
Another ludicrous law from N Y DEC Pat and really shows how out of touch they are....Tom

06-May-14
Perhaps it was a cripple that was enjoyed by a fox or coyote ? or as you may think a coyote . Possibilities are endless.

14-May-14
Anyone ever try Hi Tor WMA in Naples,NY for gobblers?

14-May-14
I too have witnessed those feather piles Pat, after I or my neighbor wounded a bird... then the fox fed the youngens.

• Sitka Gear