Ticks/chiggers in Pine Ridge?
Nebraska
Contributors to this thread:
BusAL 01-May-14
MattyB 01-May-14
Greg Kush 01-May-14
BuzAL 02-May-14
01-May-14
Coming up from the deep South this weekend. Hoping to bring back a nice cape from a Merriam's. Am I gonna need DEET?

01-May-14
The ticks are starting to show up, but it's not like the south. If you dislike them spray yourself down. I don't hunt out that way but where I'm at the last week to 10 days has been real good turkey hunting.

01-May-14
Just spray all of your hunting clothes (including socks, boots, gloves, facemask, hat, backpack, etc.) with one of the sprays that have Permethrin in it. The Wal-Marts around here have it in a brand called Sawyers in the camping section. You spray your clothes down, let them dry, and then they are good for about 3 weeks or more (and several washings) since it gets into the fabric. I have been using Permethrin for about the last 6 or 7 years during spring turkey season and haven't found a tick since I started using it. Before that, I'd find them crawling on me, inside my pickup, and on my gear even after I had sprayed down well with deet. Permethrin is amazing stuff for ticks and it helps keep the mosquitos away as well.

02-May-14
I really like Permethrin, too. But I still spray DEET around my collar, sleeves, and trouser openings,(and on my hands, hair, and neck, too) to keep even one from getting inside. I've come out on the losing side of some bad bouts with chiggers (the SOBs!!!). And even one tick bite seems to bother me for months, nowadays. So I go a bit overboard, I guess. I have my go-to set of camos treated with the Sawyers stuff, but don't know what color I'll be needing to wear there. Bringin' it all.

I don't run into them where I hunt in CO during September and was wondering (hoping) the same was true up that way.

• Sitka Gear