horsethief51 05-May-14
roger 05-May-14
horsethief51 06-May-14
woodsman 12-May-14
exsanguinator 19-May-14
03-May-14

horsethief51 's embedded Photo
Last Saturday Kathy and I had a great experience. This past winter I met a few students at the Monroeville show wearing SRU Hunting and Fishing Club t-shirts. Having gone to The Rock back over 40 years ago I was very interested in finding out what it was all about. 8 or 9 years ago a club was formed and I found out they were always looking for sponsors. So, I was glad to invest my own money to make the UBP a sponsor member.

Last week was their annual "banquet." It was an all day event at the local Slippery Rock Sportsman Club. When we pulled in the "kids" were hanging out playing volleyball and that game they toss the bean bags at the hole in the ramp like horse shoes. (man am I old). A little while later we all walked over to the rifle range and everybody got a shot at a black dot on a paper plate with a daisy BB gun from about 30 feet. The closest to the mark was proclaimed the winner. I was in the middle of the pack somewhere.

We then went to the archery range where we all got to take one shot at a bullseye target at 3 unknown distances with our own bows. I took my recurve bow just to let them see what the old timers used to shoot. They were shooting some serious equipment. Although I actually came in third in the close target, I quickly fell from the leaders when we moved back. The winner won a block target.

What was cool was their actual dinner, bucket raffle and drawings. It was like a mini-UBP winter banquet. They had some nice prizes and I managed to win a nice Dead Down Wind Scent Elimination Kit. Also, they had been having a trout fishing contest and the winner was announced (it was a female student!)

It amazed me how much they all reminded me of younger versions of us all (UBP folks).

03-May-14

This was a great group of young adults that are going to be going out into the (bowhunting) world after they graduate. Most were sportsmen (and women) before they got to college and we should be looking at them to get involved in groups like ours. Heck, they already had the sense to do it while they were in school.

03-May-14
We do offer a special rate for students still in college.

03-May-14
Ok where's the like button???

03-May-14
Dang Art that cool!!

04-May-14
Good stuff. I am also a SRU Grad. 1996.

05-May-14
Good stuff Art and kudos to you for contributing to their effort.

I used to keep my recurve and a dozen Feline Archery fiberglass shafts in my room in Sentinel Hall. Used to stump shoot out behind the dorm on the weekends after football season. That was back in the very early 70's.

05-May-14
Although I was not into hunting when I went to E. Stroudsburg U, I don;t think they had a hunting and/or fishing club. They had some outdoor related clubs like backpacking and hiking, shiing etc................but not specific to hunting and fishing. They do have a strong biology dept. and I saw they opened a museum like room in one of the buildings that looked like it had some pretty impressive taxidermy.

I know Penn St. has a Fraternity (Greek) for hunters.

That's pretty cool Art! And nice to see.

05-May-14
Dave, I remember a kegger back in those woods in 1971. I lived up there my first year too, then moved to Patterson hall the next year.

05-May-14
One of the coaches let me keep my motorbike in his garage. All I had to do was babysit for him a couple times.

I had to leave my hunting stuff in somebody's apartment.

05-May-14
Good job, Art!.......Btw, I returned your pm.

Oh, and I used to party at the Keister(sp?) apartments over there at SRU. :)

06-May-14
Oh gawd.

12-May-14
Back in 1988 myself and a group of about six other guys were founding members of a club called the Rock, Rod, and Rifle club. I wish I could remember the professor that was our advisor however that club lasted several years after I left from what I was told. I think I majored in Hunting while at Slippery Rock. I spent a lot of time in the woods in the surrounding area of slippery Rock, Harrisville, Moraine State Park, and McConnels Mills. the first year I got there I shot a 6 point with a bow after class one day down around Branchton and hauled him back to campus on my buddies car. I was in Patterson Hall with a bunch of great guys and we brought lots of game back to the dorm.

19-May-14

exsanguinator's embedded Photo
exsanguinator's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear