Teeton 19-Jul-14
mixed bag 19-Jul-14
Teeton 19-Jul-14
mixed bag 25-Jul-14
Rut Nut 26-Jul-14
Bogey 12-Sep-14
Rut Nut 12-Sep-14
11-May-14
Ok now that all the draws are up and I/we didn't draw anyplace and my friend that I was going to go with drew and muledeer tag and can't do the elk hunt with me. So I'm looking for a partner.

I/we are going to do our old standby which is going to be Colorado elk.. I've been doing elk hunts out west for the last 20 plus years. I drive out and meet up with friends out there. 1 of them lives in Colorado one lives in Louisiana. Between the 3 of us we have 200 plus days in the unit we hunt. The first few days we hunt 2 spots that's hunted from the road. If the elk are not there we backpack in to other spots we know.. So U'll need good or have to get good backpacking gear.. I've been a backpacker all my life so I can help u with gear if needed.

This unit is not a easy unit in any of the places we hunting. So being or getting in shape is very important. Hunting can be at 8500k to as high as 12k. So the air can get thin.

This is a 2 week hunt with about 10/11 full days hunting. I will be leaving Pa (driving) on Friday 9/12 after work and try to be back home on Saturday 9/27 trying to have 2 nights in my own bed so I'm rested for work on Monday. We will be hunting the last 2 weeks of their archery season.

Some other note's..

We drive mostly straight thru. Leaving around 5pm Friday the 12th and hint Denver Co about 6/7pm western time on Saturday. Sometimes we get a hotel room west of Denver and sleep. Some times we pull off the road and setup a tent on the million's of acre's of pubic land Colorado has. We will most likely start hunting Sunday afternoon or evening. We most likely will leave to come back to Pa on Thursday the 25th. I/we most of the time drive straight thru back home, but not always. All fuel costs are split on trip. Fuel costs will be around $400 to $450 each at $3.75 a gallon. License cost (elk) this year will be around $600. This is not a fly by night hunt and will be a fair chase with all the Colorado Dow rules being followed.

I really would like someone that's hunted out west before, but if ur very willing to get well prepared all around.. I can look past that. If interested pm or email me at [email protected] in the subject line put Colorado Archery Elk ....

Thanks for reading Ed

Ps If you send me a PM here on the bowsite please post on this thread that you sent me one, for some reason p-m's that I get only show me a notice that I got one on my home computer.... Thanks again,, Ed

12-May-14
I would go but booked Alaska and only have last week open.Good luck finding a partner for the drive.I'd the to do that alone.I may go back to Montana this year if you can't find anyone for Co

15-May-14
Sounds like an amazing time Ed. Would love to take part in a hunt like that, but I think I better get a few deer hunts in first LOL.

Good Luck out there, and in finding another guy to go.

16-May-14
One of these years, Ed........................ ;-)

22-May-14
Thanks everyone for your posts. I'm kinda surprised that only one guy got back to me on this. I did this once before and had a bunch of guys get back with me with questions..

What do you think is scaring them off??? Is it me?? :) or Just to far from September to be looking,, do you think it's the 2 week part??

ED

23-May-14
Its not you... Its me!lol

Ed, I been looking at this every day... At this point I didn't want to contact you for more details because I can't commit just yet. I would like to talk with you if you haven't found a partner yet. It is something I have been cosidering but need a few things to fall into place to make it work for me. I have been on 6 elk hunts. All DIY bow hunts. 2 have been pack in hunts and 4 we hunted from a base camp. I will send you a pm with some info. Talk soon, Dennis

23-May-14
Its not you... Its me!lol

Ed, I been looking at this every day... At this point I didn't want to contact you for more details because I can't commit just yet. I would like to talk with you if you haven't found a partner yet. It is something I have been cosidering but need a few things to fall into place to make it work for me. I have been on 6 elk hunts. All DIY bow hunts. 2 have been pack in hunts and 4 we hunted from a base camp. I will send you a pm with some info. Talk soon, Dennis

23-May-14
Ok Dennis, Chat soon.. Ed

27-May-14
Sorry Ed. I've got a Wyoming tag I'm using this year! (Thanks Scott!) Maybe next year cause I probably won't draw Wyoming again. Good luck.

Dave

28-May-14
Thanks Dave,, I do have a couple of guys looking into going. Both are looking to there schedules. But no one has made a commitment as of yet.. So I'm still looking..

Ed

28-May-14
Think 2 weeks is too long for most guys with regular jobs.Us being self employed we can make up our time working weekends.Thinking about taking my son for 2nd rifle in Co otc.Just no time for archery elk with my Alaskan trip.Going to start burning my points in Co next year and build a little in Wy.My back problems will shut me down from ever going again within 5 years,except my spot in Wy. which isn't too hard on me.Want the unit 7 tag my buddy drew with 5 points in a couple years.Need one giant for the wall before I'm done

28-May-14
Besides back and knee issues I am working on, it would leave me with no time off in case I got sick. I think about it often. Just cutting it way too close.

02-Jun-14
Good Luck on your hunt. I will be hunting Unit 54 Labor Day week. Leaving here Wed before. Have stickbow will travel.

04-Jun-14
This spot is filled pending face to face meeting in a few weeks.. It's not 100% so keep this in mind if this thread pops back up.. Again thanks to everyone that looked it over..Respectfully ED R

Zman,,, Not 54!!! That's a bad unit.. You'll be glad you have that stick bow out there... :)

11-Jun-14
Good luck you guys.Miss my elk hunts bad but have to try for some new animals.Every sept. no matter where I'm at I swear I can hear elk bugling.If I'm not chasing moose next year I'll be archery elk hunting again You should do OK in unit 54 if you do your homework.your doing an early hunt which should be good for that unit from all I hear.Thought that's where you headed to Ed??Anyone who wants a spot in 55 I'll give you a good one.They should have plenty of leftover archery tags

11-Jun-14
Mixed bag 54 and 55 always had left over tags.. "BUT" not this year.. :( I always got a left over 54 ..

I'm looking at a Colorado otc units now. :( Maybe Wy or Mt leftovers also.. Not sure where just yet..

Ed

11-Jun-14
I'm having serious withdrawal symptoms! The trip up to the mountains last week got the backpack hunting juices flowing, even if it was in North Central PA instead of Central Montana or Colorado! ;-}

Got a great deal on a backpacking tent in the offseason and it worked GREAT. Will be perfect for my next Elk Hunt(even if it is a few years away! : )

05-Jul-14
I drew Unit 54. So its confirmed I will be hunting the first week of the season.

07-Jul-14
Congrats, Z-man!

18-Jul-14
Ed go to Montana on a left over.The hunting tere is out of this world if you can get good weather.No shortage of bulls.The residents lik to act like the wolves ate them all.Me and rut were on top of bulls but couldn't get a break with the weather.If you can get a steady wind youd easily kill where we went

19-Jul-14
Mixed, One of the guys we are going with is from Colorado.. We are not sure 100% where we are going. But being that one is from Co and his License is only like $50 bucks i don't think he will want to change.. Plus he will have some boot leather down before we come out, that's a big plus. We will be hunting the last 2 weeks of the season. We are looking at the Weminuche or Flat Top wilderness's area for now. Watching the summer weather in them areas. The Wilderness's will put us away from the 0 to 3 mile day in and out hunters and packing in 5 or more miles usually puts you in further then 80 to 90% of the previous 2 weeks hunters.

19-Jul-14
Good luck,thats the highest elk density of any place in NA.Look into a backup location since your there 2 weeks.I personally like the looks of 191 on goggle earth as a sleeper spot.Its on the border of Wy. right where I hunt there.Unit 14 is on the other side of the divide there and is a heavily hunted otc unit that's real good also If you got a Montana tag, I know someone who would gowith you in rifle;ME.I just won't be around for archery.My bad luck will have me in Alaska again,lol

19-Jul-14
Ok How is going to Alaska bad luck.. :) Where would good luck put you ?? :) :)

25-Jul-14
I was joking around.But I do miss the sound of elk bugling and the way the woods out west smell.Alaska is just awesome and the only place that can draw me away from elk hunting.Good luck this year

26-Jul-14
I'll be with you guys again in spirit! Let us know how you make out, and looking forward to hearing the stories and seeing some pics! :)

12-Sep-14
Good luck on the hunt and hope to hear some updates. Living east this time of the year drives me nuts!

12-Sep-14
LOL! I was thinking the same thing, Bogey! I was smelling the air this morning and it reminded me of this time 3 years ago when I was getting ready to leave for Montana. Amazing how the brain makes that connection between smells and memories! ;-)

Good luck to all those guys heading West! I hear they got some snow out there the last couple days: MT, WYO, S. Dakota

• Sitka Gear